buying one monitor instead of 2

Discussion in 'Studio' started by adrien, Oct 16, 2017.

1. adrien

adrien Guest

i have a stupid subject to introduce :

i've fallen in love with the most accurate monitor i've ever heard, the PMC twotwo series. I want one of these but it's expensive, i was wondering if i can calibrate only one monitor for the beginning, in mono, or not.

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

lol, who knows, maybe you will start a trend.

will be interesting to hear if anyone has done such thing. i guess its "doable" for a while but hardly something realistic on the long run.

4. adrien

adrien Guest

it's just a short term solution of course, it's better to have both. Mono is the most important, if it sounds very good in mono, it will sound amazingly good in stereo normaly ;). I think it's doable, let's take the left speaker twotwo 6, i put it in front of me, i put a plugin which can select only the left side and put it on mono, on menubus (www.menubus.audio) and it should work no ? i'll test it with my actual monitor

5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

sure, i have no doubt it will sound great.
    but the problem for mixing is obviously all the doubts that would be floating in my head on how it all really sounds, in stereo.

it would totally destroy the joy when making music, it would be just stressful. one of those "great ideas" on paper one gets and then in reality they are not so great.

but as just listening pleasure, that im sure will be no problem

6. Jeen

Jeen Producer

yes you can mix in mono , but add a good headphone to mix the stereo ...and listen the result with differents audio systems.
    it's not optimal but you can

7. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Holy SHIT. Those speakers are $2500 per, you can tack on a decent set of headphones. If your room isn't treated you'll need them anyway.

8. Jeen

Jeen Producer

9. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It not strange to have one speaker dedicated to mono. People have been doing this for as long as I can remember. Avantone has made a business out of providing one speaker mono monitor solutions.

One mix cube mono and your choice of 2CH w/e else.

A good monitor controller will make you life a lot easier as well if you plan on switching between the two frequently.

Also, consider getting an expensive pair and a less expensive more limited mid. If you are stepping up in monitor and playback department just remember that treating the room becomes just as important if not more important spending thousands or tens if thousands of dollars on a great playback systems can quickly be undone by a room with resonances and standing wave problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

you can buy one monitor, BUT...

when i was researching monitors before i bought a pair, i read that monitors have to go through a 'break-in' process, where one should play music on their set for a given amount of playtime (let's just say 100 hours, just for example sake).

if you buy one monitor now, if/when you decide to buy a second one, one monitor would have been broken in before the second one, which may cause an imbalance in the pair working together to produce a pure and balanced sound output.

or if you buy one now, you may have to buy two later just to break those two in at the same time, in the same environment.

i would research this more before settling on a choice, however.

good luck! :like:

11. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Price is genocide not overkill :trashing: i have friend in holland and he bought one Krk monitor, i asked him why he did do that , he replayed i had to buy one if i buy bought my wife would kill me!:knock:

12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Hey guys, check out my monitor. :rofl:

:wink:

13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

for a home studio, in a room that is not designed/built for audiowork, there is no point in going over 1.000 euros/dollars.
    you can clearly hear a quality difference between a 300 monitor and a 600+ speaker independently of where you put them

but after 10k then you will encounter much bigger problems in your room reflections than the eventual gain in sound subtleties.

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

15. adrien

adrien Guest

Yes it is why i have Sonarworks Reference, but i have to check if they propose their service for mono speaker, and i'm really not sure they are :/. I understand, calibrating or treating is essential.

16. adrien

adrien Guest

Agree, but if i calibrate by example the PMC twotwo 6 monitor(s) (with sonarworks) it should work well. It's a 2 way monitor, it should be ok.

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Some time ago I read this is completely nonsense. After hundreds of hours you only get used to the sound.
    So obviously there are different opinions about it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It is the opposite, actually. Old monitors get "tired", the ferrofluids in the drivers dry out.

19. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

I have a question similar to this topic about setting up a single monitor speaker to use it as "mono" listening medium, connecting it with a 3.5 mm jack of a laptop.

Is it as simple as connecting a "3.5 mm TRS on male to male cable" (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NO73MUQ/ ) and with a "3.5 mm male to to 1/4 male adapter" (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LRLV82/ )?

I have never been to a studio and have no experience of mixing my music with any studio monitor. I am planning to buy my first monitor (a single one as of now) due to very tight budget. I have a very small untreated room without any audio interface.

Thank you.

20. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

If you are starting off with only one speaker you need to make sure you SUM both left and right signals to the one speaker. Those two items you listed will only give you left or right.
    A 3.5mm male from laptop to two RCA male, then an adapter similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B0002J1LE8
    with a RCA female to 1/4" adapter to the speaker

21. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Not sure if I recall correctly, but if you are buying 1 now and upgrade second later, there will be sound difference(as earlier explained about ferrofluid and electronics, of course it depends how long you will use it alone, but new is always new)
    I would go for pair of decent monitors fitting your space and budjet, the rest of the money should go for room correction

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List