Buying a new Computer Setup - PC or Mac - What would you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Chrysostomos, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Chrysostomos

Chrysostomos Newbie

Hello out there!

I'm considering about buying a new computer setup and my budget is 1500-2000€.

The system should be capable of working on bigger scoring projects with big libraries within Cubase 8.5 pro (e.g products by EastWest, 8Dio, Cinesamples, Spitfire, Spectatronics...)

I've never worked on a Mac, but since it seems to be the standard platform in most studios I would reconsider my strict aversion towards Apple products - if there really is no PC-Setup which could compete with a Mac in this price range. (<= 2000€ )

What would you recommend ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. Nitrophos

Nitrophos Ultrasonic

Mac is always going to be more expensive even if the parts are the same so if you want more power for your money go with PC. Also, if you're use to PC and considered in any way a PC power user, switching to Mac might be a bit painful from what I've seen but really it's whatever you'll feel you'll make the best productions on.

4. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I've made the switch from Pc to mac and i prefer the mac. Both will get the job done, but in my experience the MAC has been much more stable than the PC i had. It feels smooth too. If I were to recommend something, I would suggest to get a Mac. For that money though, maybe a PC would allow you to maximize more of your funds. If you can afford to save longer, save for a mac.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. MorteKai

MorteKai Ultrasonic

I would say it's personal preference,.. although once the answers start flooding in, you will have a lot of people saying why MAC/PC is better in their opinion. You already mentioned your "strict aversion towards apple" so I would guess you prefer a PC over a MAC.

here are just a few of my points. MAC's are way more expensive than PC's,.. (it's also a lot easier and cheaper to fix, or get parts for a PC), there are lots of online videos of guys building PC's that are better spec'd than the MAC's.
    in the past the only thing that would have made me go for a mac was the fact that they are SUPER-QUIET,... (but that was in the past,.. one can build a PC that is equally quiet)

as for software,.. that is something you will have to decide on. (it used to be a case of more software being released for windows,.. but now it pretty much seems on par with each other. this is just my opinion)

Anyway,.. if you don't get a lot of answers on the forum, you can always try this,.. I read it on some other site/or here.... can't remember

"the quickest way to get a answer from people is not to ask a question,...but to state a fact, .. and then wait for everybody to correct you with their personal views" (perhaps state MAC is better than PC for Audio production!!!)

I've never really been a fan of apple myself, but if you find it better, then by all means, go for it :)

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Get a 6 or 8 core Intel I7 and 32 or 64 gigs of ram. Mac's are over hyped.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  7. MrT

MrT Newbie

I have both and I'd go with the PC for that budget. My plan for the next Mac I'll be getting was to buy a MacMini and upgrade it with cheaper RAM and SSD but now Apple went retard and soldered everything inside.
    Anyway, if you don't have money to burn, a PC powerhouse and a weaker Mac will open both worlds for you. I'd get a PC now and save for a previous version of MacMini.
    32GB RAM, I7, a SSD or 2 SSDs (my config) will give you LOTS of power for orchestral production, if you purge the samples and choose them wisely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Snill

Snill Kapellmeister

Build a Hackintosh, so you can have Mac and Pc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Chrysostomos

Chrysostomos Newbie

That's exactly what I just wanted to ask. Anyone with a hackintosh here who could provide some experiences ?

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I would go with a PC, building it myself.

But you do whatever you find fits your bill the best. It's like asking what car one should buy, without knowing if you live in the forest or desert or by the coastline, is single or have a big ass family, want speed or want fuel efficiency, etc.

12. Chrysostomos

Chrysostomos Newbie

Would you mind telling some more about the specs? (CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD/SSD)
    Do you run Windows or as a hackintosh?

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Well, i have an hackintosh dual boot running Windows 7 Ice Extreme and OSX 10.10.0
    I'm a longtime windows user but then decided to try OSX for Logic Pro X. If it were up to me i would grab Logic and put it into Windows, that's would be the perfect combo for me.
    If you have tons of money go for MAC if you don't have too much money go for hackintosh, I bought a couple of months ago the i7-4790k cpu and it's really a beast compared to my old i3. If you don't use Logic i think a normal pc would be great too.

Basicly it's up to you, no big difference for me.

14. Chrysostomos

Chrysostomos Newbie

Is OSX on a Hackintosh comparable to a "proper Mac" regarding speed/stability and the smoothness a lot of Mac users are talking about ?

15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I stopped doing that years ago because you can get pretty good configurations, if you´re looking around the internet! but respect you still do them yourself :wink:

16. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I know. Internet is good. :) I'm just still a nerd when it comes to these things. And I've become somewhat of a PC-doctor by doing so (both software-, and hardware-wise).
    Each to their own, I guess.

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

In all honesty, one of each :wink:

19. Freudz

Freudz Noisemaker

Another option if you can live with it is a used or refurbished mac. iMac (27" mid 2011) with i7 3,4 GHz and 16 GB RAM with Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB Graphic card is a beast. If you get one with a additional 256 SSD disk, then it's not so hard to swap it for a better SSD.

My second iMac was a used one with the spec above. Paid around 1400€ incl. a new Samsung Evo 850, 500GB SSD here in Sweden.
    Mac or PC? My answer is: some like the mother, others the daughter, and others likes both the mother and daughter... :rofl:

20. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have the same chip and I agree it's a beast . I have yet to overclock it yet.

21. Snill

Snill Kapellmeister