Buying a cheap Mic for Acoustic Gtr Recording

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by NeoSoulja, Jan 21, 2012.

1. NeoSoulja

NeoSoulja Member

Hi Guys,

I'd like your input on these Mics. I've narrowed down my cheap Mic list for acoustic guitar (I have a CAD M177 (large diaphragm) that does a decent job, but I'd like to try a small diaphragm mic)

- AKG PERCEPTION 170 ~€77
    - T.BONE EM 800 ~€34 (sounds great for the price!)

Ideally I'd buy the SE ELECTRONICS SE4 ~€248 (but out of work at the moment unfortunately and living from savings)

Thanks for any advice (especially if you've tried any of these)

3. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

I own the AKG Perception 220 - great general purpose mic for the money (came with storage case and shock mount)

You can likely grab a lightly used one for around a bill or so (100-160 USD)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-AKG-PERCEPTION-220-107318603-i2319278.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-Used-AKG-Perception-220-107164492-i2304959.gc

4. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Go with your gut. Some of the poopiest mics have been used on the greatest recordings in history.

5. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

True That

6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Small diaphragm mikes do tend to work nicely on acoustic guitars. But you might try putting a figure 8 pattern on your condenser and any other reasonable cardioid mic and set up a mid/side mic technique. With a little EQ this might get you a very nice ac. sound. But with a decent mic for a mid it might sound better. I mic congas like this and it sounds very good. Very versatile for later in the mix. You can keep it mono or spread it out stereo as wide as you want.

7. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Youre best choice ! Rode NT1-A ebay.com 100.150 Used 220.00 New Top Notch Acoustic Recordings, Vocals too, Seriosly
    and for Killer recordings plug it in to a (golden age pre-amp 73) the nev clone for around 300.00 Us Good Luck

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Small condenser, or even a cheap ribbon mic. Get a good preamp aswell. Put it about a feet away from the sweetspot at the 12th fret, and perhaps cut out some lows with a lowpass or shelving EQ. EQ and compress to taste after that.

If you want all-round dynamic mic, try a Shure SM57. All-round large diaphragm condenser, try Rode NT1-A or AudioTechnica AT4040.

9. BumBataa

BumBataa Newbie

Don't listen to anyone on the internet: get a KEL HM2D :wink: !

Trust me, listen to some audio samples on their site or head over to Gearslutz and search for it, great mic, warm, nice, no hiss like other cheap condensers, perfect for guitars, also great for vocals.

Kel Audio

10. NeoSoulja

NeoSoulja Member

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it!

The Kel and Rode mics do sound nice! :)

EDIT:
    Just wondering, on the website I'm checking they have audio samples of most mics:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_perception_170.htm

Do you guys know any other sites that lists various mic brands AND has the samples also? Thanks!

11. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

I use an SM57 and a Rode 2x NT1-A Studio Condensers for voice and guitars.
    I am going to get flamed but with all the outstanding plugins these days, the racks of
    effects are almost (almost) useless.
    One thing that still needs work on is fast low latency hardware interfaces.
    I am using an Edirol Fa101 10x10 Firewire and it has always been rock solid, will go down
    to 1.2 ms for guitar effects live processing but I leave it at around 4.2 ms for regular multitracking. ( mind you yet again my buddy had to mod the drivers for the Fa101 as the stock drivers are pretty crappy)