buy software that is burned money??

Discussion in 'Software' started by out, Jul 4, 2024 at 11:07 AM.

1. out

out Newbie

My brother says buy software that is burned money and I ask why he thinks so his answer music market hard to access and less create their money back, otherwise this is digital and every time is developed further next year this program does not run anymore and this is not tangible like keyboard, what do you think he is right ?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 11:18 AM
  3. Marcelo22

Marcelo22 Noisemaker

Roses are red, violets are blue, the title's in english, the thread should be too :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. stav

stav Member

first make sure what you're thinking to buy is a necessary component of a song you wrote.

5. out

out Newbie

Sorry!!

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

WHAT? Why write one sentence. I dont understand what you mean?

Software from 2000 still works fine on windows, now on macOS its a bit of a problem, bcs of apple.

But other than that, software works a long time and often comes with support or you are allowed to report bugs when you bought it and own it.

7. ArticStorm

Thank you!

8. out

out Newbie

I do not agree I work cubase 13 my purchased plugin powercore accees virus is 32 bit and does not run on cubase and still does not run well on Windows 10 so dusts in drawer

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

he is pretty close to right; but hardware is generally the same thing then, too. If you buy new hardware, the minute you open the box or it leaves a store; you will immediately lose money. Like with a new car. If you buy hardware used for fair prices, you can usually get most of your money back after using it. And in some cases you can make a few bucks. Commercial use stuff is different. Otherwise, unless you play something and get paid for it; it's all money going in the wrong direction somehow. Consider it gone.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

sell it to someone who will use it. Or you can "easily" run 32 bit Effects in REAPER. You may need to install J-Bridge or something. On Mac you use 32Lives! instead. If you can get the kernel extension to work in newer MacOS after Sierra. For PC it's probably way easier.
    There is an unlocker for every plugin and some people love the TubeTech CL1B to this day. Sell it. Someone with a "vintage" Windows machine will buy it, and those people do exist. Depending on the part number of the card, it has Motorola 5630x chipset on the board, up to 8 of them iirc. :)

11. ArticStorm

this was hardware based, nothing to do with software.

it based on DSP56300 chip by motorola, basically a special access Virus B version. So it is a very bad example.
    The Powercore plattform was long time ago abandoned by access and whoever create that Powercore plattform.

If you take a look at actual software NI Dynamo for example, it still runs on windows 10 i think or take FL 2.7x, it also still runs on windows 10.

12. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If you're a professional investing four- five- or six-digit is common because you expect to get it back, or already have made that money. If you're a hobbyist why do you expect to gain an income and get your investment back? Do you join a soccer club and only spend money for shoes, shirts and protection if you expect to get it back?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 9:42 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Whoa! Hold on a minute there sparky. A very few obscure plugins with extreme kludging might be working on modern windows systems (why even bother?? The shit is old and didn't work that great back in the day...). The majority of *ware from back that far or earlier, in my experience, needs a hardware and software system of the period in order to function correctly. On modern windows systems if the the software compatibility agent doesn't kick in and dump you an error message, the software itself will just simply fail to work correctly. Sure you might run across the odd one here or there that does actually work, but who wants that stuff? I know I don't...

As far as the whole support thing goes most devs don't support their stuff well even on current versions let alone from stuff released 20+ years ago. They release shit and then see if it makes $$$. If it does, you might see more versions down the road. If it doesn't it's sayonarra señor... Give it five years and a few os versions later and that release is deemed "legacy" never to be thought of again.

Learned a long time ago after thousand$ were $pent on now defunct bits sitting on a shelf or optical disk somewhere, outdated and useless because that is the nature of computing in general. Computer hardware is enough of a burden financially to keep up with which is why I dropped that whole treadmill scenario years ago. I get many years out of a computer build anymore and I'm no longer prone to spending hundreds of $$$ on the latest thing unless it's something that I am certain would be a value add for many years to come. Software is even more volatile - here today, gone tomorrow. If the scene weren't what it is I would have dropped the entire thing years ago and just stuck to real hardware.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 10:02 PM
  14. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Buying food is burned money. Fuel, intellectual property... anything, damn nearly. There's more to the equation than depreciation.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is why I mentioned commercial use being different. But in the original post the brother seems to think that for a hobbyist buying "tangible hardware", the same thing doesn't happen. I think it can be even worse, in practice. Some of the prices people pay for "used software" are not all that different, surprisingly. I never have sold software to anyone after using it, because of all the possible headaches involved. I wouldn't expect to get anything back on it. If getting back 0 from software is a problem for you, buy something else. But hardware is not immune. If it is used, and a fair [price when you buy it; is where you can expect to not lose a lot of money. Buying new, you are lucky to get about 70% back of what you pay for something.