Busted by ISP

Discussion in 'Software' started by LeGentlemanSwagger, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LeGentlemanSwagger

LeGentlemanSwagger Newbie

Hello everybody,

My ISP just gave me a warning to stop pirating, do you know how they specifically detect such things? Is there just a few things that I should stop doing or do I have to get a VPN? Thanks.

3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Good VPN with the killswitch engaged. Try IPVanish. It's awesome. Use a coupon code for 1 month.

4. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

This might happen if your uploads over p2p, ftp or whatever are not encrypted. It could be as simple as an automated message from your ISP, or some legal person asking about your IP from a given time when sharing warez was logged.

What country are you in?

5. spiggy

spiggy Ultrasonic

I'm not sure what country you're in. I'm in eastern US and typically my ISP will not do anything about web based file sharing, FTP downloads, etc. But BitTorrent transfers they will get you on. That's because by nature you are uploading as you download. So you are now effectively providing the files to others. If it's older not so common files they often go unnoticed. But current stuff, big name programs, current games, current movies are watched by copyright holders and IPs are monitored. Most ISPs will give you a couple of slap on the wrist warnings. A VPN can fix this, but keep in mind all of your data is going through a third party when you do this. If you're just doing web based stuff, free UltrSurf or Tor can give you some protection. If you're doing BitTorrent you can set your Torrent app to use UltraSurf. For instance on YouTube you can find a guide on configuring uTorrent to work with UltraSurf.

6. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

don't forget to kill uTorrent and other torrents in the background, its possible that you uploaded a huge amount of data in the background and that is probably what they detected a continue stream of uploading

7. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

Same thing just happened to me.It was over Evil Within 2 but i was using Bitorrent.
    It was just a warning about any future notices could get my isp cancelled but AT&T sucks anyways.
    But i'm back to uploaded now,i've never had a problem with direct downloads.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. virusg

virusg Rock Star

9. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

@LeGentlemanSwagger You have to be more precise if you want adequate help.
    I guess U were using torrent? That's your own fault then :bleh: because the industry
    tries to feed on torrent users for a whole decade. Their measures are since propagated repeatedly through mass media, so the whole world should know by now.

If I remember correctly it was the movie industry in USA, who even indoctrinated all the american judges by sending them learning videos about how evil filesharing is and forced them to watch and obey their deranged ideas and the judges actually did obey. They are children of hypercapitalism and really desperate for more money and this was at a time before filehosters were a thing, so noone exept the torrent site owners and some ad-companies made money from pirating back then. :)

10. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

You have just broken your internet virginity by pirating without a condom.

Yes, you have to use a VPN.

You also have to make sure you don't leak DNS. Some VPN software can set that up automatically for you.

You also have to make sure you don't leak your IP6 address assigned by your ISP, if you have one assigned. If you use a home router, you HAVE to make sure you go into your router settings and disable IP6. I don't think any software can do that for you.

You also have to make sure you have some kind of kill switch. Leave torrent client running, VPN goes down, your real IP gets exposed. Some VPN software can do that automatically for you.

If you don't use VPN software and use the OpenVPN client, you're going to need to learn how to do all of the above yourself if you want to stay protected.

Preventing DNS Leaks: I recommend running pre.vbs, up.vbs, and down.vbs manually. This shouldn't expose your IP or anything, but your ISP will be able to log all DNS requests your clients and browsers make when connected to the VPN if you're still using your ISP's DNS server after you connect to the VPN.

IP6: If the VPN uses IP6, AND you use a home router, you NEED to disable IP6 in your home router to use the VPN's IP6. If you don't do this, people might connect to you using your ISP's IP6 address, thus exposing you. If your computer is directly connected to a cable modem, you might have to disable IP6 in your main LAN adapter. You should always check with ipconfig /all. WARNING! Sometimes your computer will still have your ISP's IP6 addresses assigned even after disabling it in your router. Check this with ipconfig /all. If your ISP's IP6 addresses didn't clear after disabling it in your router, reboot the router and check ipconfig /all again. And of course, if your VPN doesn't use IP6 you need to disable it as well, otherwise clients might connect to you via your real ISP using IP6. So to summarize, always disable your ISP's IP6 when using a VPN.

Kill switches:
    VPNetMon: Check "Paranoia Modus" if it's not checked, check "Contr.", do NOT check "Auto". It is very unwise to try to allow software to automatically restart your P2P client if the VPN connection has problems. Server connection issues when they happen are usually intermittent, unstable, and unpredictable. This is a good way to expose yourself. If you walk away and leave it and it goes down, then that sucks, but at least you won't be exposed.

VPNCheck: Not used as much as VPNetMon, but might be worth checking out if you might like it better than VPNetMon (I don't). As above, do not use "auto reconnect" options.

Editing your route: You should delete your default gateway after connecting to your VPN... this will insure your clients and browsers will not be able to reconnect to the Internet if the VPN goes down. You should still use VPNetMon or VPNCheck. Also, you should go into the properties for your main lan adapter, then go into the TCP/IP v4 properties, and remove the default gateway. This should prevent it from repopulating and reconnecting you to the Internet via your ISP if your VPN goes down.

If you use torrent clients, they perform best when you get a dynamic IP. So you should use a VPN that supports dynamic IP addresses. If you use a static IP VPN, it's important that it assigns you a unique port, then has some means of telling you what that port is so you can enter it into your torrent client. Some VPN software will do this. Other VPN's will tell you "you shouldn't need it." This is incorrect. Theoretically if NAT worked perfectly then you probably wouldn't need it, but this is not what happens in actual use. You need Dynamic IP VPN (best), or unique port assignment you can know if you use Static IP VPN.

Test for DNS leaks and IP6 leaks: This is the best site to use IMHO, it does 100 DNS checks. To further test IP6 you might want to use test-ipv6.com. Again, you want to make sure you're using the VPN's IP6 address, not your ISP's.

I know that seems like a lot but once you're used to this it's not so overwhelming.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

I think that "ISP" spying should be illegal lol. Sue them for spying and invading your privacy. At least I would sue IPS if I would get that kind of warning. :D

BTW I use PureVPN. Got an awesome price off it. Only like 50€ for the two years ;) It has ipv6 DNS leak prevention too

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  12. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

+1
    +1

If my ISP had done something like that, it would be my ISP for the next hour (max.) What legal basis (and where) an ISP has to monitor your traffic without a court order??? (btw, central Euro country here)
    That can only be obtained when "somebody" reports you to the police, those guys than have to ask a "prosecutor" to write a request for the court order that is given back to the police to get the rights to "monitor" you in any way.

That being said, are you really (?!) going around here without even a VPN (which is far from "the only thing" that you have to do to have a basic privacy)? I admire your courage! But... don't do it! :no:

13. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

14. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

And somebody deliberately infected you with a STD :bleh:
    :wink:
    :wink:
    This should be imperative to anyone who takes the protection of privacy seriously.

But guys.. with regard to the OP we are only speculating and predominantly advertising security over freedom :rofl:

15. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

use a link-debrider website
    don't do torrents, let your debrider do them for you
    check twice if you arent victim of some phishing scam
    answer to the guys : which country are you from, indeed changes lots of things

16. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Exactly... Know your rights, but ACT as if you do NOT have them! :rofl:

One of the first things I thought about.. lol

17. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

I'm using pureVPN for torrenting always and sometimes when I'm browsing warez sites ;) I really, really prefer warez sites more than torrent sites nowdays ;) And of course I'm gonna buy the products I like and feel like they deserve my money :) NI instruments though is not one of em ;)

Examples that I've "downloaded" before buying are,

Reaper, I probably would've never bought/known Reaper if it was not because of sister site
    Replay Music, bought it because I wanted faster updates and ofc it's super easy licensing system, free major updates :).
    GTA V, because I wanted to play with my friends online.
    Ableton Live, Because I wanted to support them, and because I could easily use alternative activation method, was it (R2R team?) "unlocked" version for it if something goes wrong and can't activate it in the "legit" way. That's the main reason why I even bought it LOL :D.

Here are just some example why I think good will and freedom of choice is a lot better that corrupted mindset of "We lose money because of pirates" bull***t reality is they lose money because they suck and don't produce good enough products and blaming it all on the pirates is just an excuse.

18. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Coincidentally today russias new anti-VPN law comes into effect :wink:
    They call him Vlad the blockader now:rofl:
    But seriously, poor russians!

And @WarpenN1. The EU-Comission invested more than 200000€ into a study that should prove how bad piracy is. But they found out it has almost no effect at all on sales and now they still try to hold it back because it would undermine their plans to implement upload filters for everything that is uploaded online. They think it is their only chance to stop pirates (and maybe it really is), but is is completely unnecessary, as proven by their own study, which they now try to conceal. :bleh:

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

No wonder everyone is going crazy and trying to terrorize by driving with the truck through the crowd of the people or try to kill everyone with knife :D Or could it just be coincidence. :O

I mean there has been a huge amount of spree shootings and all that kind of stuff this year, almost weekly. Where could all those be linked HMMMM:thumbsup:

20. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I have gotten 20 of those in the last 6 years ,
    just laugh your balls off at it. why?

duplication of ones and zeros, while not altering the source in any way
    CAN NEVER BE PIRATING OR THEFT!

( in my case i already owned the material anyway i just wanted download a digital version because
    my new computer had no disc drives. the idiots never think about these things )

what is next the radio is considered pirating?
    what is next farting is copyright infringement?
    what is next the color magenta is copyrighted?
    fucking retarded cock suckers.
    [​IMG]

• List
  21. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

+1. Yes they can't do anything they are just trying to scare you. They don't have even any actual proof =D.
    It's good that there are quite some people that are fighting for internet freedom :)