Burning question about .dts files

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Infidel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I have a new car with a good stereo that decodes dts CD's NOT DVD's.
    I have recently dl'd some .dts files that I want to burn to CD but Nero, Ashampoo, and SoundForge do not recognize this extension and cannot open them. I burned as Data, but it didn't work. I even tried changing the extention to wav and still no luck.
    Has anyone here had the fortune of solving this problem?

(And yes I have searched the internet only to discover how stupid people are good at not answering the question in the thread.)

3. C7

C7 Member

You should be able to use a program called ImgBurn to burn dts files to a CD and have them play correctly.

Just create a cue file with the files (Tools > Create CUE File...) and add the files to the image. Then burn that image to a CD and they should play properly.

Code:
    http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

You cannot use DTS directly on regular Audio CDs. It's not compatible, so you have to decode it first and then most likely downmix it to two channels (if the source has more than two). Since it's a very uncommon format for single audio, most CD writing application won't do this job.
    There are decoders for/in foobar2000, VLC, and FFmpeg/Libav you can use though.

However, if you really want to try with DTS, you may need to mux it to a wav file for your burning application. BeSweet and SurCode can do this.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

You can't DL random DTS files & expect them to work on DTSCD. They need to be EAXCTLY 1411kps 44khz etc. For best results, DL a pre-made DTSCD.

Oh yes it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

6. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Olaf you are wrong.
    Proof: https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Summoner...TF8&qid=1500853840&sr=1-12&keywords=sting+dts is a CD not DVD because it plays in my car.
    DTS is the only surround format to be licensed to use the CD medium commercially. No Dolby format is. The DTS format is 2 channels with encoding for discreet 5.1 surround sound. If you listen to DTS cd's on a regular player you will hear static and no music, so you need a decoder (CD, DVD or BluRay player digitally connected to a receiver) to hear it. I have recently burned cue/wav files on 30 or so CD's that seem to work fine in my car. They were mostly ripped from DD or DTS DVD's.

7. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Yes, but it's not a "regular Audio CD", since it's missing this logo. You can burn anything you want to a CD if it's embedded in a wav file, but it doesn't mean that it complies with any standard. That's why I wrote you should mux it to wav. Then you can burn it with anything.

No, nobody would prevent you from selling CDs with FLAC, Vorbis, Opus, or whatever else in surround. Now even MP3 is royalty-free (and it supports surround too).

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

It is a niche de-facto standard https://www.discogs.com/label/34886-DTS-Entertainment 100 releases on discogs, and about half are DTSCD. TELARC is another label, they do DTSCD, and you can DIY DTSCD too.

Just because you read it on wikipedia doesn't mean it is actually in use. No-one uses MP3 for surround - it never really took off since
    • There were other, more successful things
    • MP3surround was not part of the initial standard so content creators can't be sure that people can hear what they intended
    • "The file size is approximately 10% larger than that of a typical MP3 file." means that it's not quite discrete surround, meaning quality & imaging will be compromised
    • and almost nothing can decode or encode MP3surround these days
    so there's really no reason to use it, at all.

In fact, the usage of surround in AAC & vorbis is much greater than MP3surround, but it's not a car standard. DTSCD is. All you need to do for DTSCD is add in a few chips, and outputs, and bam. That's what makes it so attractive to car manf's - no need to have a completely new optical drive. DTSCD is also a complement to the established CD manufacturing workflow, and home theatre presence of DTS.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Yeah, what he said. :bleh:

DTS cd's are 44.1 16bit. DTS on DVD is usually 48/96 at 24bit.

Use Surcode (The only DTS encoder for CD's were from Minnetonka Audio, now DTS has it's own) for encoding DTS surround sound to CD's.

BTW - DTS 6:1 compression, AC3/Dolby Digital 10:1 compression

10. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I tried Imgburn to create a cue file but I get error that says it cannot open the files. I think these are at 48k instead of 44.1. or maybe they are 24bit instead of 16bit.

11. Infidel

Infidel Producer

FYI
    Code:
    http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/epages/MASIShop.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MASIShop/Products/SCDW

12. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

6 channels, sharing 1411kbps ..... glorified mp3 quality .... anyway

try this : change the .dts of your 16/44 dts files to .wav
    burn them as redbook AudioCD (nota : of course, it will never be usable on a normal cd player)
    I hope you have a rewritable disk, cause I don't remember if thats the exact trick

13. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

It's not possible to write DTS files directly as an Audio CD. The DTS data needs to be encoded into a PCM stream embedded in a wav file. Should be something like this. But it's not enough to simply rename .dts to .wav etc.

14. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

my bad, thought we were talking about extracted files

15. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

This will work if the DTS is indeed CD spec.

16. Infidel

Infidel Producer

DTS actually sound excellent vs. any quality mp3 crap.

I just found out the problem files are all 48k 24bit.