Built-in random compression on headphones?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Shiori Oishi, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

Hi all! I'm a newbie in the headphone world and got new gear as a tip from a friend to mix my home studio record: a Hifiman400se headphone + a Douk Audio U3 amplifier. I know the gear isn't supposed to be neutral at all, but I figured with reference tracks being played through the same system, I could find myself.

Now what I did NOT expect was that the headphone's OWN sound would vary so much. The onset of the signal seems to be randomly and viciously cut, just like a compressor with a fast attack and soft knee would.

Has anyone heard anything like this before, about this gear or other gear? Is this normal? I'm at a loss and don't even know what to call it!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Without ever trying them, those Hifimans aren't Sundaras; but I would expect them to be at least somewhat decent. This thing however-> Douk Audio U3; I would expect to be some kind of problem before even using it. I have no idea what you are experiencing though from your description; maybe some kind of phase cancellation? It will be interesting to see what you find out.

4. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

I agree with clone for sure. I actually got a super cheap douk and returned it, then went to the local hifi shop just bought some used headphones amp.