Building the best virtual vocalist software

Discussion in 'Software' started by RodolpheO, Jun 9, 2015.

1. RodolpheO

RodolpheO Member

Hi, I'm building SING, a desktop app that will produce high-quality, really usable vocals. I'd like to know what you guys expect from that kind of technology, I'd appreciate any feedback really. The demo is here: www.komponant.com
    If you are interested in being a future beta tester (not now yet since we are at an early stage) or simply user please fill in this short form www.goo.gl/forms/LJOaMmrL2v

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

For me having all the dipthongs / vowels is important. This was frustrating on the otherwise excellent Blue as it was originally for Latin I think and was missing some.
    I'm sure there are limits, but ease of use and compatibility with DAWs. I haven't tried Vocaloid, but I've read about it being difficult to use and to sync with other tracks.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. RodolpheO

RodolpheO Member

Just added the link to the form, something went wrong when I originally posted it :)
    And btw, I'm still searching for my CTO/Cofounder. The job description is here: https://angel.co/komponant/jobs/62312-cofounder-cto

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Vocaloid is the best software for virtual singing feature-wise. Perhaps for the same reason the quality of the sound is worse than pre-recorded based Kontakt libraries. Vocaloid libraries are also surpringsily samall, tipically about 1GB.

The worse with Vocaloid when you try to use it with a DAW is that there is no VSTi interface. It gets worse, there is no official Rewire suport neither. There is an unofficial Rewire plugin that makes it possible, but this means another complexity layer.

I don't know if there are changes with v4 regarding DAW friendlyness. The demos sound way better.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. fyriell

fyriell Member

really liked your demo,

when can we get our hands on a beta ? :beg:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Actually sounds great! I'd love to test it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

This sounds like a super idea..

As a side note, im building a fart machine!

really its been one of the funnest things Ive found for use of my hand held recorder.... I might have problems selling it in the future tho!

9. Beth

Beth Guest

Excellent work! Impressive. Looking forward to following its progress :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

You picked the one thing that is probably going to be the hardest to do. Vocals are not like any other instrument and so far I have only been able to get so-so results out of ooh's and aah's and even the best libraries start falling apart after a while when you try to do anything but basic. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to help if I can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Jannegirl40

Jannegirl40 Ultrasonic

Sounds pretty good, and you even got the Vocalioid guys saying it's better than vocaloid itself. I'll be watching this one.
    I do have a question: Is this planned to be a vst (if so, for what OS's? Oh please, please do mac) or standalone?

12. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Since I assume this is not sample based, I would say Wow!
    The question is how much programming and tweaking is needed to get such a result?

13. RodolpheO

RodolpheO Member

SING will be a standalone app for Mac and PC. Just posted the new (and final!) version of the demo here: with clearer vocals and improved mix.

14. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Very impressive and sounds really nice.
    Is it out yet? I would like to try it out. My main use will be for backing vocals and enhancing harmonies.
    Does it come with different voices? Like male and female voice to choose from? or Soprano, tenor, bass..?
    I don't think it would be hard to implement since you did a good job already with the female voice.
    Looking forward to it.

Edit:

Visited your webpage and read that you are going to add a US male soul singer in the questions for the beta testers application. The more variety of voices, the wider the range of use.

good luck and wish you success in your projects :like:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  15. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

It would be a nice feature that sometime in the near future the possibility to be a real-time VST instrument.

Good luck and all the best with the project :thanks:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Best of luck with your work. I am sure that it will sound and function incredibly well since as you say that it is still in it's relative infantacy. The most concern I feel is your software's ability so interface with the users DAW since this will in my estimation be the tipping point that will either set it apart from the other choice(es) or relegate it to the "oh that too" bin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Your idea really stinksâ˜ș

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Oh I dunno, Heinz might be interested in giving away your 'fart machine' with every can sold of their Baked Beans.

19. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

If you need a beta tester drop me a line !!

20. For the fart machine or SING, you didn't specify.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Techically, the fart machine is more spontaneous and random, so I don't know how much good elaborate testing would do. It's just a bunch of well-executed, well-recorded farts whie singing requires some more delicacy and work.

Then again, it depends on mic positioning (did you destroy any?) and technicalities like round-robins and stuff. Or fart modelling...