Building my own acoustic panels / bass traps

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Demon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Demon

Demon Producer

Hello everyone,

Again, it's been a while! I have been flat out working on our new home and very excited to be working on the studio.

One of the side projects I am doing this week is creating some acoustic panels.

Based on suggestions and help given by many of you here and here, I have started building my own panels.

I am very grateful for your help and advice, you know who you are... thank you.

Anyway, instead of rockwool I used a similar product called "soundscreen", which is designed specifically for sound absorption. I paid AU$48 for each pack of 8 batts (got two packs). Measurements are 1160mm x 580mm. Thickness is 70mm. These are as sound-absorbent as 100mm rockwool panels. What kind I say, the stuff is amazing, not itchy at all and it is super safe and fire-retardant.

I used pine 90mm x 19mm timber for the frame and I used a smaller 20mm x 20mm bits of wood for an inner frame on which the soundscreen batt sits; this also helps to keep the batt away from the wall by about 25mm. Every bit of wood was glued, drilled and screwed.

For the fabric I used:
    Back of panels - Enviro cloth spun bonded at a ridiculous AU$0.99 per metre*
    Front of panels black - Enviro cloth spund bonded (a bit heavier) AU$3.99 per metre*
    Front of panels red - Indian cotton < a beautiful dark red that is very breathable. This are much nicer and will be used in a living room.

*The enviro cloth spun bonded is very similar to the stuff they put on top of speakers, just thicker and stronger. Extremely breathable stuff, but JUST not see-through.

The final measurement of the panels is 618mm x 1388mm, including the frame.

All materials for 8 panels was AU$544.00. This also includes some tools I didn't have such as big-ass stapler, framing materials, lots of screws, countersink drill bits, etc. Roughly, about $55-$60 per panel. As a reference, an Australian dollar is very close to the US dollar.

Ok, so here are some photos...

The soundscreen batts pack
    [​IMG]

The frame
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The back fabric on
    [​IMG]

The batt on (you can see how it has a bit extra to fill the height of the panel)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The finished product :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Two red panels will go in my living room; six black ones will go in the studio/study.

I thought of sharing this as I haven't seen them built like this on any forum or youtube video (specifically with the inner frame that holds the batt away from the wall, I thought it's a nice touch).

Again. Thanks guys for all the advice. I couldn't have done this without your advice and encouragement. I'll try not to be away from here so much. I've missed this place!

Happy to take comments and feedback. If you'd like a diagram with all measurements, send me a PM.

I hope you enjoyed; thanks for watching.

- Demon

3. freerider197

freerider197 Noisemaker

Really nice work buddy, love when people build by them selves stuff that if not will cost 3 times more :wink: :wink: :wink:

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

very good.
    I usually use them in the corners with different sizes, rememeber that its good to break the linearity of the room :wink:

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

The handyman strikes again :wink: Looks like a nice piece of work Demon *yes*

6. machupichu

machupichu Ultrasonic

these are sm of the finest looking , hope the same for the room acoustic results!

7. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Nice work ! :mates:
    Big advantage with panels : you can try several places :wink:

8. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Congrats for your work Bro...
    Looks nice
    :wink: :wink:

9. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Nicely done!
    I always forget to take in progress photos when i build...

:break:

10. WOW, I hope that they do for your sound as incredibly well as they are gorgeous to the eye. Amazing work and a true inspiration to get things done that need doing. Thanks for the update.

11. Demon

Demon Producer

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I received a few requests to give more details, and someone suggested a video, so I thought "hell, let's do one!" so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ka5Y43VgM4

It goes for an hour! but it's very detailed.

This is the file I mention in the description. I hope it helps some of you with making your own.

\m/ enjoy.

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That is SO awesome of you Demon. Really appreciate all the time you put into this and the video was concise and really great quality. I liked it so much that I want to dedicate an entire thread to it in AudioSex Academy because it would be a crime for it to get lost among many other threads. It'll be the first AudioSex in-house produced live tutorial video. :break:

Actually since you were the one that made it I think you should be the one to post the thread, I don't want to hog the spotlight.

13. Demon

Demon Producer

Sounds like a plan. I'll do this when I get home. Working on renovations today again!