Building home studio

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Undisputted, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Hello,
    I found yesterday on Youtube some tutorials from Germany in English language. There is about 13 parts on his profile. There's no 2nd part.

First part(next on profile):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rLZ74V33bQ
    And my question: Is it good for home studios? I thinking about diy some acoustic items for my room 20m2(5m x 4m) and looking for some help to get better quality for my Esi uniK 08 monitor speaker, that will be in my house in near time, because I'm buying a pair in next month.

Next question: Does 8" woofer will be good for room 20m2(5m x 4m, or I need to get smaller woofer like 6"?

Thanks.

3. nick1980webb

nick1980webb Newbie

got to be carefull there is a saying that having a hardcore home studio is the kiss of death .... anywho arc from ik multimedia is good

4. google

google Newbie

lol probably true

http://www.acousticbooth-studiobox.com/

tocadisco in the studio with on computer music
    FM 217 Tocadisco is using one

i dont know the price. but is movable if you move etc. less fuss

I don't know any more

5. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

I think it wouldn't help. Studiobox is nice choose, but It's very small and looks like studio for vocal register. I'm looking for studio treatment that will help to sound good with my 8" woofer studio monitors in 20m2 room.

6. google

google Newbie

yeah i got the studio spare catalog today has another company doing sound proof booths. they are a few grand WTF but a solution to noise in and out :)

i bet you could pick up a second hand one for a song :)

http://www.studiospares.com/icat/acoisolationbooths

7. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Still waiting for your answers to my questions.

8. satzen

satzen Newbie

Well, the smaller and more square-formed the room is the harder it is to actually archive a good,dry sound. I usually suggest to totally kill a room with your dimensions, so yeah, doing that kind of insulation as shown in the video and then using a few bass traps in the corners and possibly a few 1x1m acoustic foam pieces right where the sound is reflected,above producing position and at the second reflection point should be pretty good. Also, if you're doing it DIY style, then i would suggest using stonewool with as high density as possible.

Another tip is using a pair of duvets behind your recording microphone, they're really great at absorbing the high frequency waves, who usually cause a lot of pain ( their reverb).

Also, i really do recommend reading a whole lot about acoustic treatments before investing any money in it as a badly done treatment can even drastically impair the sound in your room.

anyways, here's a great site about this( the guy who wrote it is a truly an acoustic guru ) : http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Also, sorry for any/grammies, didnt really have the time to correct this text.

9. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

That's what I'm doing now :) reading much articles, watching videos, posting on forums, you know. And yeah I know Isover sucks, Rockwool is better, I heard Rockton(7cm thick one) is great for a mix with styrofoam if you would like to further warm the room.

My room is not more square-formed, it's 4m x 5m, so it's more like rectangle, and the roof is pitched. What about 8" studio monitor in room like mine? Is it good? Or I need to get smaller monitors?

Thanks.

10. satzen

satzen Newbie

They should do pretty good in a room like yours, but well, it all really depends how much you treat your room.
    Also, the fact that your roof is pitched will improve the acoustics greatly as the pitching will almost work like a diffusor, spreading the waves!

The rockton/styrofoam mix should do really well in a room like yours too :thumbsup:

11. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

What about making a photo of this room? You will see how it looks like inside, outside and tell me what to start changing :)

12. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I don´t think it matters if you have 8" or smaller all you have to do is get to "know" your monitors.
    How they react to sound and frequancy.
    When you have done that you can mix with them because you "know" how to make it sound good.
    And don´t forget the GOLDEN RULE never mix with high volume use a volume so low that you can have a conversation with another person in a conversational tone.
    As for treating your room on here som useful links.
    http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5930
    http://www.realtraps.com/videos.htm
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/
    http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=DESIGN
    i´m pretty sure you are familiar with all of them but just in case

13. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Some peoples told me that having 8" monitors in small room would only make resonances and that would be problematic for my mix.

14. google

google Newbie

my quick studio tips :)

stand in the room and clap you hands - if you can hear a 'zing' sound after you clap its bad
    those are treble reflections

so the room needs treating or use another room for your studio

dont have speakers directly on the wall or corner.

to see if you are missing any sound/frequencies like bass, put your back against the wall (standing in front of your monitors) and there is no space for reflections do you will hear the true sound, see if it sounds the same as you move away from the wall.

you can check for bad room sizes using blots graph (which i couldn't find) or check that your room is not a cube. the more the dimensions are the same the worse it is.

cover and reflective wall (if you fail the clap test oooo-eer) with thick curtains or blankets.

if your speakers are in the corner - whack 2 squares of foam behind.

also moving your speaker back or forward by a few centimeters can change everything so experiment

15. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i confirm. that's the first thing i do stepping into my musician-friends room :))

good tips.

16. EMB

EMB Newbie

Great Infos here. Thanks to all of you. :wink:

17. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

noob question here..

but can you exactly describe how the "Zing" does sound..so i can try mine room

:dancing:

18. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

what you don't want to hear is reflections of you clap.

bathroom is a good example... especially if a bathroom has tiles on walls, then it will have shitload of reflections.

19. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

thanks ..

20. google

google Newbie

Clap your hands in a tiled room like a bathroom, with curtains open so the sound reflects off the window too. Clap as hard as you can.
    Clap...zzzing...