Building a new machine for Audio Production

Discussion in 'PC' started by djay, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

yes, all of them

yes, works great I use it right now, but be sure to buy a audio interface with good Windows drivers. Look at my signature

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Sorry friend i am on a mobile device cant see any sig. The focusrite scarlett series should do i think, i think its possible to hook it up with thunderbolt. Will look this up

3. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

USB 3.1 ports Scarlett Range (1st and 2nd Generation) Adapter: Apple USB-C to USB adapter (or USB-C to USB-B cable)Compatible: YES

:wink:

4. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I have a PreSonus Quantum and they also have a smaller model PreSonus Quantum 2
    Great drivers for Windows

5. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

I would like to by a new ASUS laptop (not yet fixed on the model) and installing Win 7 instead of the preinstalled Win 10, but where can I find all the hardware drivers for Win 7 since official download centers provide only drivers for Win 10 anymore?
    EXEMPLE

6. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Hey audiosexers ive been helped out alot by you guys and this is the current build being made for me right now.

CPU: i7-9700k
    MOBO: gigabyte z390 aurous pro
    RAM: 2X8 16GB Vengeance LPX
    Power: Corsair builder series 650w

Previous build
    CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
    Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
    RAM: 4X8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ CL16 1.35v (32gb in total)

So i saved up about 200 - 250$ and i've got a system that would probably suit my needs more, thanks to advice from you fellas

You guys are the best :mates:

7. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

That's a nice build!
    I'm currently also combining parts for my new System for Poduction and also a bit Gaming.

Have almost the same parts:
    Case: InWin 901 Silver (Mini ITX)
    CPU: Core i7 9700k
    Board: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM Gaming-ITX/ac
    RAM: 2x 16GB DDR4-2666 Corsair Vengeance
    Power: Corsair RM650X or be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 650W (will decide later)
    GFX: RTX 2080 OC
    Storage: 512GB 970 Pro m.2 SSD (OS), 1TB 970 EVO Plus m.2 SSD (Music Production), 512GB 850 Pro SATA3 SSD (Graphics & Video), 256GB 850 Pro SATA3 SSD (Programming) & a 500GB 850 EVO SSD for Games. (Have the last 3 SSD's already here)
    Extra's: Low profile BluRay drive + a new LG wqhd 34" display

Btw. that ASRock bord is one of the few with a Thunderbolt port for nice external Audio Interfaces
    but I'm still looking for a not so expensive one that also has Windows Drivers. Thunbderbolt on Windows is not so common atm.

For a nice look I chose white parts (RAM, GFX and cables) without fancy RGB shit lightning.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

More and more common with Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces with Windows drivers:
    Antelope, Focusrite, Motu, Universal Audio, Presonus and so on have it

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Wow thats actually really similiar looking!

You have splendid storage though, And a gamers perfect extras. All SSD real nice :) im using 2 ssd disk and 2 old ass regular hdd. Might have to buy a large 1tb sandisk hdd like someone suggested

10. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Yes i bought the one you mentioned, ty for the tips :cheers: when i was active here a while ago. I remember there being a trend about a old type of usb port, whereas now thunderbolt seems to be a hot topic

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

first you found it funny heh heh...with this you set for life

12. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Thunderbolt has so much more power and possibilities than most usb interfaces (that widely only support the old 2.0 standard)
    which also mostly requires an external power supply, whereas thunderbold (in alot of cases) combines both - power and a fast data communication (up to 40 GBit/s), which also can be used as an external ssd drive connection.

There already are external ssd drives that support up to 2GB/s via Thunderbolt 3 so If I decide to contine using the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    for now (until I have a bit more money for a nice Thunderbolt interface), I still can use that port for an extremely fast backup drive.

Btw. I'll never go back to HDD's. The ammount of storage you get for your money is really nice but they're so slow
    compared to SSD's and seen from the life span aspect, they're almost the same as SSD's (from my experience).
    A friend has an 120GB 750 EVO running since over 5 years and it still works as nice as at the beginning
    and he uses his PC for production everyday. I'm using my 850 EVO since 9030 hours with about 16TB written
    and it still shows a left over life span from over 24000 hours, which is something like 8 years if it runs 8h a day.

And in the last 9 years I got 4 broken HDD's where one of them almost destroyed my progress of 5 years
    and another one stopped working with my whole software collection on it (clickering without a chance of restoration).

And as extra info:
    This year (2019) the prices for SSD's will decrease up to 25%.
    The 970 EVO with 1TB for example is available for ~210€ atm and about a year ago it was at 430€.
    The new 970 EVO Plus with 1TB and 3300MB/s started in January at 249€ and is now available for 219€, which is a decrease of 12% already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Well im glad you got to secure your work. And this is def a wake up call for me to get a extra 1 tb, i would probably have to stretch that to 2tb. As i already have a total of 1tb of content combined in two (old ass mangy) hdd's

14. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

Actually. Already have 2 ssd in there one old 480gb wich still has half space, and a additional new empty 480gb. Add One or two more crucial 480gb for 69 - 65 bucks and i should be golden :cool:

15. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I recently copied a big Kontakt library to one of my SSD's to see if it loads faster and well, it freakin does!
    It took like 20 seconds to load one instrument from that library on a HDD and 1-2 seconds (almost immediately) from
    the SSD so I think about getting a 2TB m.2 for my music production stuff to also include the Libs there.

Luckily the ASRock board supports 2 m.2 SSD's and 4 SATA Disks so I'll use 5 SSD's and 1 4TB HDD for downloads and stuff

16. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

you bought the ASRock Z390 PHANTOM Gaming-ITX/ac or Presonus Quantum? If you meant the motherboard what audio interface are you planning to buy?

17. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

I've got the gigabyte z390 aorus pro

Thunderbolt is a bit confusing in regards to this mobo. But if i'm correct. Aside from plenty type-A's and other ports.

Specs list of this local webshop, does state it comes with x1 usb 3.1 gen 2 type-c port, (aka thunderbolt) in specifications.

But the official description of the mobo has no mention of type c gen 2 ports. Just type c gen 1.

Kind of confusing but its whatever.

Audio interface Right now i do have a focusrite scarlett 2i4. Connected with usb

But since i saved up 200 to 300$ with my upcoming build, i am willing to purchase a newer better interface and hardware if you got any recommendations? Perhaps the presonus interface devices you use?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  18. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Okay that motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card connector. So you need to buy GC-TITAN RIDGE to get a thunderbolt port. And I recommend Presonus Quantum if you gonna buy a audio interface for Windows. But then you need an adapter and a thunderbolt 2 cable (see my signature). If you want a thunderbolt 3 audio interface maybe Universal Audio Apollo x6, but that is pretty expensive. Then you of course don't need an adapter, but a Thunderbolt 3 cable.
    (Beware that GC-TITAN RIDGE probably do not support Thunderbolt 1 audio interfaces).

19. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

GC Titan ridge, gotcha:wink:. Thankyou

Ok so looking to use titan ridge + scarlett 2i4

Also (coming from focusrite support page)

Thunderbolt 3 ports Scarlett Range (1st and 2nd Generation) Adapter: Apple USB-C to USB adapter (or USB-C to USB-B cable)Compatible: YES

I think this means it should work.

Could you explain a few points why its better to change/upgrade interface? Specifically the presonus quantum.

20. eksproducer

eksproducer Member

@Daskeladden

Also i am a total noob sorry. But ehm if i connect my interface through thunderbolt titan ridge, wouldnt it make sense to connect all my midi devices through this titan ridge also?