Building a new machine for Audio Production

Discussion in 'PC' started by djay, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

[​IMG]

2. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

buy a Asus PRIME Z270-A and Asus ThunderboltEX 3 instead. Pretty much the same specs only newer. I assume you have a cpu Intel Socket 1151 for 7th/6th Generation i7/Core or i5/Core (as a bonus it also take 8th generation cpu's)
    New board pretty cheap on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Asus-I...h=item1a6f1f362a:g:a~UAAOSw5wJcFo-Y:rk:2:pf:0

The seller has 100% positive reviews, and buy with paypal through eBay and you are safe

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

thx bro

4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

AsRock is subsidiary of Asus

5. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Depends on the PC case. Mostly they aren't fixed, except if you plan on using like 10 fans in a case, at any position possible.

A much better approach is to place two fans in front and - if possible - two at the back, or one at the back and one at the top. Mostly you have 3 or 4 positions for fans at the front, which ones are best depends on your hardware and case.

I use 2 front fans at the bottom positions, one rear and one top fan. I love the Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM. Sadly these fans seem to be hard to get nowadays. There are fans with less noise out there but the great thing about these fans is that they work from 0-1200 rpm.
    http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-120-pwm.html

I use one Noctua NF-F12PWM for the back. It runs at 300-1500 rpm and is always on but inaudible at 300 rpm in rear position. And I use Slip Streams for everything else. I have a Noctua D14 CPU cooler and even use Slip Streams on the CPU cooler. With a good motherboard and some tuning you can get all of them to even stay completely off if they aren't needed. If I'm just browsing or composing (without using much of VSTs) my PC is completely silent. Even the CPU coolers run just at 80 rpm. And if I put a hell of load on it, the fans have power enough to run full speed to cool it down quickly, to revert back to full silent mode.

If you don't use a graphics card, there is also a tool which connects a tunnel from CPU cooler to the rear fan. Using this, my CPU fans stay pretty much completely off for 95% of the time. Again, with a good fan speed controller you can tweak this exactly as you like. And with CPU heat going directly to the back, there isn't much heat in the case at all.

So, secret about silent PC isn't to get it silent or use passive cooling, but to get it as silent as possible when it doesn't need to be cooled, but have a powerful cooling on demand when the PC needs it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. playtime

playtime Rock Star

As for the PC cases, can't stress enough how Fractal Design R6 is good. Built for silent computing, sound isolated, great airflow and modular build inside. I know I'm not going to change it for years to come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Think I gonna go for that on my next build, the one with the USB-C port. I have Corsair Carbide 330R (also a silent case) on my current build.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I have a Fractal Design XL. Great PC case. But it does have a big problem. Some new HDDs as the Seagate Ironwolf don't fit into this case, because they need screws at positions which aren't available on the HDD cage caddies. I'm not sure this is fixed in new FD products. However, you can order different caddies directly from FD for SOME of their cases, not all. But that's kind of inconvenient.

9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

great input thx a lot could you pls just post another link for the tunnel...that would be to great:mates:

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

or drill some holes ...with right 2 tools its easy

11. Foobar

Foobar Producer

12. Maxim Getman

Maxim Getman Producer

Hey man!
    I just can drop my thoughts here.
    About CPU - 100% it's Intel.
    I7-6700k is the lowest point of choice.
    32GB DDR4.
    SSD 512Gb
    HDD 3Tb
    Motherboard - it depends on your setup mostly.
    GPU - lowest used one. Even GT9800 could work nice atm. (I had this one previously for 5-6 years I guess, and still I got awesome result at 4k monitor, not 144Hz for sure)
    Get luck.
    I wish you buy a good one :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

when i build a audio rig i gone use cpu for gpu , needs hdmi port on mobo...

15. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I just found out yesterday that the internal graphic card is inside the cpu. I always thought Intel internal graphic card was on the motherboard :rofl:That being said my motherboard supports 4K for the internal Intel card on the cpu. If you buy that Asus Intel PRIME Z270-A it supports 4k through hdmi and displayport but be sure you buy a decent cpu that have a Internal graphics. AMD Ryzen does not have internal graphics

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

:woot::invision:

17. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

So no Internal Graphic, no Thunderbolt support and even some issues with midi support, and people still build the "ultimate" audio production pc with the Ryzen. Hard to believe

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

not all of them i guess

19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

A couple of BIG FAT backup drives.
    None of the rest matters too much if your work is all gone. :wink:

20. metaller

metaller Audiosexual