Buena Vista Social Club room. How to reproduce that sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Riddim Machine, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Hi people i hope you doing fine. I was listening to some traditional latin music like guajira, salsa and rumba on the last days and i noticed that the room sound on those records is very proeminent, almost moving with the dynamics of the song. I think the most sought after latin music room is the one by Buena Vista Social Club main album. There's a strong pitch drop on the reflections although the instruments are not detuned by wow and flutter, for example.

another cool example of room on this kind of music, although the instruments has a considerable amount of wow and flutter at this one (and it's the pirate's choice, for you guys):

The point is: how to create this kind of dense, dark and moving room? It seems that not only the pitch is oscilating with the reflections but the level of the room changes depending on the dynamics of the song, almost giving a feel that the room is dancing with the dynamics of the instruments, especially drums and bass.

Thanks!

3. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

I've been to Egrem studios in Havana, that's the recording studio where the Buenavista album was recorded. Once there (early 2000), I asked myself the same question as you and unfortunately I didn't find any answer: how the hell could they deliver such a unique sound from a recording studio that - technically speaking - was not so impressive? There is no logical explanation, the answer probably lies in the magic of Cuba: that island is a world apart. I’ll tell you: if music is your mission in life, then it is mandatory for you to go to Cuba once in your life.
    In recent pics of Egrem, I can see they updated the gear,but I’m sure that their sound does not depend on a specific gear and therefore cannot be replicated
    https://www.timba.com/report_pages/egrem

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

So, yes... No reverb gurus on this forum can help me to achieve tha magical sound of Buena Vista's room. And i understand 100% what you are talking. It's a very unique sound, that why i couldn't find any awnser to this, and as you said, it seems there's no way because you know the place and asked yourself the same thing. It's frustrating and mystical at the same time.:rofl:

5. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

You would need "that" room! The Buena recording was achieved, for the most part, by having all musicians placed in a semi-circle position, all together in the room and they played "as one".
    So I've read somewhere years ago.