Budget Hardware Tube Pre Amp?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by tommyzai, Jun 8, 2024.

1. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I think a tube compressor/limiter would be more useful (at least for me) than a pre-amp since my/our interface has a pre-amp.

2. FrankPig

FrankPig Rock Star

3. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Does it requires any enclosures or is it plug and use? $600?

4. FrankPig

FrankPig Rock Star

Obviously you'd need a 500 series chassis to power it. Just read that you want to stay under $200. What mic are you planning to use with the pre?

5. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I have a Rode NT Series and Shure SM57 with an Audient iD14mk2 interface.

6. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

If you can't get quality vocals out of an Audient pre and a Rode NT mic, maybe the gear is not the issue.

7. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Will, who said I couldn't get quality vocals? ;-) I'm simply trying to add a little analog between instruments and/or mic and interface.

8. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I had one of the Presonus preamps and I wasn't impressed with it. It's just another "toob" and same with the Vox device. A lot of this cheap toob stuff was designed in the 2000s when tube devices were thought of as being superior at any quality level. Korg/Vox was terrible about marketing this stuff. They put even put a backlit toob in the Triton, of all things.

I know this thread's info is disappointing, but you're going into this armed with more knowledge now! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

In my opinion you should think "in the box" and get back to work.

10. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

You might be right. My idea to introduce a little analog circuitry is becoming problematic at my price point.

11. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

no its a preamp, it makes stuff louder. a compressor is usually used to make things quieter or at least certain frequencies..
    the Vox unit has a nice compressor for guitar on it, since guitar and voice share many frequencies, it should be tweakable.
    the vox unit has a lot of effects and can be used with keyboards, for reverb, echo etc. its a nice little unit and not terribley expensive. a good way to get some hands on knobs for adjusting sounds outside the computer.
    read the sound on sound review to get a handle on it.

there are several yewtubes on it ..
    heres a guy using the ex model, it has the tube on the left and a footpedal on right. with a Stylophone.
    David Bowie used one on space oddity, didn't sound quite like this though..

12. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

The best engineers of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's would most likely all have been very jealous of the specs of your current setup. You could have literally made millions renting out your DAW back then! Also, it's easier to add harmonics and "colors" than it is to take them away. We are blessed to have access to all these tools and all potentially able to produce music with great audio quality if we put in the time and effort.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

14. Garamondo Furbish

Genesis Keyboardist Tony Banks used to run his keyboards through guitar pedals, chorus etc. Many of the arturia keyboards have guitar pedals you can access by opening the instrument panel inside the emulator.
    I'd love to try using Mathew Effects Astronomer pedal for vocals, but I'm afraid Mitch Gallagher might show up at my house with it.

15. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Low budget = Be creative and think outside the box (for a little analog).

16. Garamondo Furbish

This guy plays a bit better than mitch..

17. Garamondo Furbish

I actually own the presonus and the vox, the presonus I don't use much because its kinda a one trick pony, but the Vox has a very nice compressor a decent leslie emulator and some great cabinet modeling and for 100$ you can use the tube as a desklamp, so while its not a tube preamp in the typical sense, it is a useful piece of gear and can be accessed without a single mouse click or waiting for a computer to boot or update.

to me its about making your music sound different by not using what every tom,dick and harry is using. which is basically what the doors and the beatles and pink floyd did. can't argue with their results.

It always gets down to whats the minimum I can spend and get an interesting sound, not how can i make a music device company richer today.

I'd rather somebody try a 50$ preamp, figure out how to use it, and then decide they want to dump it on someone else and upgrade then have them drop a grand on a preamp that they'll wind up spending 3 years to pay off and use it twice. If you run a studio its a business deduction. if you are just a dude trying to make music for yourself and friends, its an expense and sometimes a big expense.

I could afford to drop 10k$ on audio gear tomorrow, but why? I understand what I have, I know how to make it sound good and if I dropped the 10k$, it might sound .05% better, and have a learning curve and take up space and need TLC and cables and routing and on, and on. at some point you just cut bait and go fishin... or make music.

Gear Acquistion Syndrome is as real as Plugin Fever, and will take over your life and your wallet as well as your living space if you let it. Best to nip it in the bud and buy the 50$ used preamp and knock it around for a bit, then step up. Ringo started with just a cymbal and one drum stick, and he did all right eventually.

18. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

19. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I remember looking at this one. I think it's a very interesting and creative option to consider.

20. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Visit Access Analog then, spend a little and get back working.