Budget Hardware Tube Pre Amp?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by tommyzai, Jun 8, 2024.

1. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I reamped vocals once through an Effectrode PC-2a pedal, it definitely added something interesting in a positive way. But not good enough, it's just more suited as a bass compressor. Also tried the Empress Bass Compressor MK2, but wasn't suited at all for vocals.

2. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

There must be a guitar effects pedal that has circuitry suited for other instruments and vocals. I just haven't found it yet.

3. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I found these . . . It's their 500 series. I think it's hardware. They have a pre-amp. Below is the name of the compressor limiter.

dbx 560A Compact, Professional Compressor/Limiter

4. anonymouse

Yeah the api 500 format is pretty cool, a lot of interesting devices are made for them. Think IGS Tube Core or One-La, but you first need a decent enclosure to run them, like the api lunchbox, neve r6, or Heritage OST series..

5. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

You will still need proper mixing and mastering, think many people try to patch that with gear, but it's just not the gear, give someone your home recording and he will elevate it with stock plugins, proper mixing goes long way.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  6. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Do I need an enclosure or can I simply mount it somehow and plug in? Does this need soldering or anything or is it ready to go, minus the rack to hold it?

7. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

8. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

9. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

I wonder that myself. It has only one of In and Out jacks, but i do think is balanced.
    Otherwise wouldn't really be fit for vocals, right?

10. anonymouse

Yeah just plug them in. Just check the appropriate amount of slots, usually tube cards take up more than one because they need more power. Also a lot of fun diy 500 kits available, check out sound skulptor, hairball, capi

11. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

FOR 500 SERIES CHASSIS MOUNT USE ONLY!

To install the 560A into a 500 series chassis:

1. Turn off the power to the 500 series chassis.

2. Unpack the module and ensure the rear connector is free of debris.

3. Align and slide the module into the 500 series chassis, ensuring the connectors on the back properly seat with the connectors in the chassis.

4. Install the included screws to secure the 560A to the chassis. Both metric and standard screws are included. Use the correct screw type for your chassis.

5. Power on the chassis.

6. Enjoy!

12. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Seems like it needs this chassis with some proprietary connector. I don't think there is a standard power supply and in/out connectors.

13. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

If only 1/4 inch in and out, not good for condenser mics . . . just dynamic like the SM57/58, etc. I think.

14. anonymouse

Any 500 rack can power this card, check out the heritage ost4.

15. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Yeah, this gets much more complex and costly than I hoped. It's definitely more pro oriented with enclosures and options. I'm just looking for a one and done box. If I had a little pro studio, the 500 series would be cool.

16. LinoBanfi

LinoBanfi Pending Deletion

It's unrealistic to think that you can set up an analog recording studio without having a significant budget: your only option is to produce the entire album in the box. after all, this is precisely why digital audio was invented: convenience

17. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

presonus makes a tube preamp thats pretty inexpensive.

[​IMG]

on reverb used around 50$
    https://reverb.com/item/67265603-presonus-tube-pre-microphone-preamplifier-lombard-il

or

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=presonus tube preamp

there's also a model 2, and a dual channel version as well. I own the original , use it every now and again.
    also Vox Tonelab is a studio audio processor with tube preamp as well as compressor,reverb etc.
    Primarily designed for guitars, it should be useable with vocals with a bit of signal adjustment.

[​IMG]

strictly used, around 100$
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=vox tonelab&make=vox&product_type=effects-and-pedals
    Vox (akai) made a range of these, most were for live performance and include a volume pedal or volume/wah pedals.
    the desktop units omit the pedals.

here's the vox link

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/tonelab.html

sound on sound review
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vox-valvetronix-tone-lab

The Vox Valvetronix Tone Lab is a spin-off from Vox's AD60/120VT modelling amplifiers, which take the approach of combining digital modelling and signal processing with both solid-state and analogue amplification stages, rather than trying to emulate absolutely everything digitally. Conceptually, the Valvetronix Tone Lab fits into the same camp as products like the Line 6 Pod (amp/speaker modelling plus effects) and can be used either for DI recording or to feed an amplifier for live performance. However, whereas the Pod takes the all-digital approach, the Tone Lab includes a miniature power-amp stage based around a 12AX7/ECC83 dual-triode tube, where some clever 'pseudo-transformer' circuitry has been used to make this influence the sound much as a real power stage would. Such innovative technology has to be given a fancy name, and in this case it is the Vox Valve Reactor.

18. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Wow! Thanks for the options.

19. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

The PreSonus models seem like what I was thinking . . . wish they had built-in compressions, but maybe it does just by its tube nature?

20. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I was only hoping to add a little analog circuitry between my instruments/mic and my interface.