Brian Eno - Documentation and Interview

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BEAT16, Apr 30, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

For the past 50 years, Brian Eno has been at the forefront of musical creativity, technology, and artistic innovation. The hugely influential British musician, producer, activist, visual artist and self-described "sonic landscaper" began his career as an original member of the legendary Roxy Music in the early 1970s. He left the band to release a series of solo records and later pioneered the genre of ambient music with his 1978 album Ambient 1: Music for Airports. As a producer, Brian Eno has helped define and reinvent the sound of some of the most important artists in music, including David Bowie, U2, Talking Heads, Coldplay, and dozens of others. He also composed what may be the most heard piece of music in the world: the startup sound for Microsoft Windows. Undeniably, Eno has changed the way modern music is made.

Rich with access to hundreds of hours of never-before-seen footage, and unreleased music from Eno's archive, Gary Hustwit's forthcoming documentary Eno will be released in multiple versions and will employ groundbreaking generative technology in its creation and exhibition. Hustwit and his team have been granted unlimited access to Brian Eno's vast archive, and have digitized and restored approximately 400 hours of material spanning 50 years: interviews, seminal early video art projects, lectures, performances, behind-the-scenes documentation of recording sessions, and more. Most of this material has never been publicly released.

Solo für Eno 1994 Brian Eno documentary

A fun profile of and interview with Brian Eno, with German commentary plus subtitles whenever Eno speaks. The title has a subtitle of its own: "Eine Begegnung mit dem Professor des Pop". It is "Ein Film von Henning Lohner". Eno reads his own quotes in different styles, works on a mix of "Force Marker", talks about his background, conducts experiments with loudspeakers, and much more.

Brian Eno & Stewart Brand on Film, Music, and Creativity | SXSW 2021

Musician Brian Eno in discussion with Stewart Brand, the subject of a new documentary on Stewart called We Are As Gods. The film profiles Stewart Brand: legendary pioneer of the counterculture, cyberspace, futurism, and modern environmentalism. Today, he urges people to use our god-like powers to fight extinction by reviving lost species, but his former allies in the environmental movement vow to stand in his way.
    Brian Eno created the beautiful and indelible original music for We Are As Gods. The two are friends and co-founders of the Long Now Foundation, an organization dedicated to shifting humanity’s perspective to long-term thinking.

Brian Eno - In Conversation, Artscape documentary, 2009

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

In 1994, Eno was asked by developers of the Microsoft Chicago project to compose the startup melody for Windows 95.
    Ironically, this was done on his Apple Macintosh.

4. Smøkkimau5

Smøkkimau5 Ultrasonic

The Microsoft Sound will remain in my heart! <3

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

"I wrote it on a Mac. I've never used a PC in my life; I don't like them."
    -- Brian Eno

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

7. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I grew up with Eno (musically) and his influence is with me. I'm just glad he's still around. He changed my life.

Brian Eno, in an interview with John Lloyd and Sean Lock on the BBC’s ‘The Museum of Curiosity’ in 2009, was presented with the Windows 95 ditty and asked the obvious question: did you write it on a PC?

“No I wrote it on a Mac,” he replied, quickly. “I’ve never used a PC in my life; I don’t like them.”

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Roxy Music - Ladytron (Old Grey Whistle Test, 1972)

Personnel

Bryan Ferry – Hohner Pianet electric piano, Mellotron, vocals
    Andy MacKay – oboe, saxophone
    Brian Eno – VCS3 synthesiser, tape effects
    Graham Simpson – bass guitar
    Paul Thompson – drums
    Phil Manzanera – electric guitar

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

All off topic / Political comments have been cleared.
    Please, stay in topic and respect Audiosex rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Eno Intro To The Bob (Medley)

Full Eno intro to the first track on the second side of the first Roxy music album......
    Only about 30 seconds were used....early 1972

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022

Attached Files:

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Brian Eno Documentary Coming In 2023 From The Director Of Helvetica

Director Gary Hustwit (Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized, Rams) has announced plans for “the definitive career-spanning, multi-platform documentary” about visionary musician and artist Brian Eno.

For the past 50 years, Brian Eno has been at the forefront of musical creativity, technology, and artistic innovation. The musician, producer, activist, visual artist and self-described “sonic landscaper” began his career as an original member of the legendary Roxy Music in the early 1970s. He pioneered the genre of ambient music with his 1978 album Ambient 1: Music for Airports. As a producer, Eno has helped define and reinvent the sound of some of the most important artists in music, including David Bowie, U2, Talking Heads, Coldplay, and dozens of others.

Gary Hustwit’s forthcoming documentary Eno will be released in multiple versions and will employ groundbreaking generative technology in its creation and exhibition. Hustwit and his team have been granted unlimited access to Brian Eno’s vast archive, and have digitized and restored approximately 400 hours of material spanning 50 years: interviews, seminal early video art projects, lectures, performances, behind-the-scenes documentation of recording sessions, and more. Most of this material has never been publicly released.

Hustwit’s collaboration with Eno first began in 2017, when Eno created an original score for Hustwit’s film Rams, about the German designer Dieter Rams. With Eno, Hustwit aims to offer a deep dive into subjects that Eno has been notably passionate about, such as sustainability, social equity, and the future of civilization, while centering above all on the nature of creativity.

“Much of Brian’s career has been about enabling creativity in himself and others, through his role as a producer but also through his collaborations on projects like the Oblique Strategies cards or the music app Bloom. I think of Eno as an art film about creativity,” notes Hustwit, “with the output of Brian’s 50-year career as its raw material.”

Eno will utilize proprietary generative software developed by Hustwit and digital artist Brendan Dawes to provide unique viewing experiences via multiple digital formats, cinema screenings and site-specific installations. “You can’t make a conventional, by-the-numbers bio doc about Brian Eno,” said Hustwit. “That would be antithetical and a missed opportunity. What I’m trying to do is to create a cinematic experience that’s as innovative as Brian’s approach to music and art.”

The film is planned for release in 2023.

12. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

There's a great 20 minute short on Eno called simply "Eno" from 1973. You see BE dicking about with synths and going all glam.

"Eno is a 1973 documentary short film directed by Alfons Sinniger. The subject of the film is musician Brian Eno (shortly after his departure from Roxy Music), and features the recording sessions for Eno's record Here Come the Warm Jets."

Source: UbuWeb, also contains information about live recordings of that era, unfortunately not linked
    Direct Download: mp4 format

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List