Brass/Woodwind samplers from Midi

Discussion in 'Software' started by DoubleSharp, Aug 18, 2016.

1. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

So I am using Band in a box to create backing tracks and lead sheets to jazz standards.

At the moment the melody is just a default band in box, crappy sounding vibraphone. I've been thinking that I'd like to use a sampler like SampleTank to create proper brass/woodwind sounding melodies. Then drive the sampler with the midi output from BIAB.

I am no midi expert but I don't think that BIAB applies any vibrato or other human like emotions to the melody. Unless you actually go into the sheet music and try and notate it.

The thing is, I don't have a right lot of time to commit and am looking for an overly simple solution.

I'm thinking that if I notate the melody in BIAB and play the midi back through the sampler is there anyway that I could use an iPad as controller? Then do a "riding the faders" type bodge job of automation in a DAW like logic ?

This means that once the melody has been notated in it's most basic form. I could then play it back manipulating, vibrato, volume, attack, decay ect depending on the emotion of the standard.

I have an okish collection of samples for the following, Trumpet, Flugel Horn, Mute Trumpet, Tenor Sax, Trumpet. Each instrument contains a short 1-2sec sample of each note. The instruments only have about 2 and half octaves maximum so I am guessing a little pitch shifting might have to be done to get a little more range out of them.

I ain't to sure what sampler I should use. Maybe the one in logic would suffice. But I'm thinking that in order to give them a little more variance that I should try and choose a sampler that enables me to change the ADSR and also add other elements, Tremelo/vibrato type stuff.

Sorry for the badly written post. But hopefully you get the gist of what I am trying to do. Any advice on what sampler I should use, or iPad controlling software and other potential pit falls would be really appreciated.

Cheers