Brass extra grit effect

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by NotAfrog, Feb 4, 2018.

1. NotAfrog

NotAfrog Newbie

Hey,

I want to get this very gritty kind of, aggressive Brass sound. I have some nice libraries for brass already, and they produce already the effect I want to a small degree. What I want to do is enhance it big time. And so I was looking at the horn through a spectrogram, check out the image attached (really sorry for the quality of the picture). As you can see Im playing a D here. You can also see how the harmonics nicely stack up beginning from the first octave then a fifth from there and so on. However, and please bare with me, since my knowledge of these things is very limited (hence why I am here), but I think I am on to something, that being, that you can see between the harmonics are other (harmonics?) frequency bands that kind of come and go in waves of intensity. Its these that give it that very gritty type of "nasty" brass sound.

Now, is there any way I can strengthen these automatically through the whole sectrum and for any note I play?

Image (I could'nt attach it so here is the address): https://imgur.com/a/MKwsT

sorry, this was supposed to go into "how to make 'that' sound" forum, dont know how I misplaced it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Saturation or distortion will give you that nasty, almost harsh sound you're going for.

4. NotAfrog

NotAfrog Newbie

Any idea for the best way to implement saturation in FL studio?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Simplest is Fruity Blood Overdrive,

but any distortion box/saturator will do. If you want something subtler, Fruity Maximus has saturation, or you can try the distortion box in Hardcore.
    Or you can Google "distortion VST free" or simply http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Distortion/OD & take your pick :)

6. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I've been through this same thing with brass recently myself, there was a fair bit trial and error but I got it where I wanted in the end.

Just switched the DAW off minutes ago but if you pm me I'll give you the vst chain details I used, saturation was a part tho as mentioned already.

7. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

Hey NotAfrog, sounds like you're after a kind of vintage-y, in-your-face brass sound. As has been said, some sort of distortion and maybe some gentle hf-rolloff might do the trick. To me it sounds like you're after a plugin that produces odd harmonics (e.g. harmonics that aren't based on the note you are playing). This article explains it rather well (for me at least). To over-simplify things for a second: Overdriven tubes generally produce even harmonics, whereas overdriven tape generally produces odd harmonics. So, time to go to town with your favourite tape-emu (or the real deal if that's your thing). Hope that helps!

8. Go crazy and check these free plugins. Not included in FL STUDIO but...

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I generally use EQ -> multiband distortion -> EQ. Much more control.
    Ohmicide is my weapon of choice. It's awesome.
    There's also Fabfilter Saturn, FXpansion Maul, Audiodamage Kombinat Tri, D16 Devastor, iZotope Trash 2, etc.

10. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

upload_2018-2-6_12-48-32.jpeg

This was the chain I used moosh Tube Sat>Gem>SDR2> RC-20 then a send to FF Pro R Verb...........a lorra lorra saturation.

You're probs going for a way more aggressive sound than I was, so maybe something a bit more radical will be required.............hopefully all the above posts will be a helpful starting point.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Hey no problem my man, glad to held, yer welcome...

7 'kin helpful replies and a pm and not a bleedin' thank you in sight.........@NotAfrog @NotA'kinClue more like