Brainworx to release a dedicated Mastering DAW

Discussion in 'Software News' started by The Pirate, Feb 25, 2021.

1. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Probably. But the relevant question is: do mastering engineers care? They mostly use hardware anyway and have had their own mastering suites available for years, like Sadie, which can run all sorts of plugins of course.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Voekit

Voekit Producer

It will comes in April.
    Then follows AMEK channel strip.

• List
  3. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

are mastering apps for mastering engineers? :)

4. 1B4B8D49-98A0-4A52-BDA5-3E0B3B5028DF.jpeg 38EFBA2B-718C-4F22-A430-AD9B50317477.jpeg

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. dondada

dondada Rock Star

sounds pro-sumer to me.:cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Mastering engineers care, and so do studio operators. Not all mastering engineers or studio operators are able to afford SADIE or willing put up with its shortfalls. As a SADIE user for almost 30 years I can tell you that as good as SADIE is (it s a beast), it has not been able to keep up with the market's demand and evolution. Contrary to what you said, SADIE only runs all sorts of plugins on paper. In practice, you are better off using native plugins unless you are a SADIst. This has always been a sour point with users. WE waited years, and years for third party plugin implementation and when it was given to us, it was, and remains, unstable. Moreover, after the company went into receivership in 2008 and bought by Prism Sound things did not improve as much or as fast as we had hoped. Add the hefty price tag to a SADIE turnkey system, and you will see that any good alternative will be welcome. A SADIE PCM-H16 with MTR and mastering Suite costs $50,000. A SADIE PCM-H16 with MTR and Sound Suite costs $53,000.
    I am not saying that Brainworx has SADIE on its sight, what am saying is that there are mastering engineers and studio operators that will welcome a cheaper and reliable alternative to the likes of SADIE, just like DAWs have been able to do with regards to Pro Tools. Combine a dedicated Mastering DAW with hardware and there is a market for it.

Edit: As a side note I want to add that since 2019 Tracktion has joined Prism Sound SADIE to form Audio Squadron. Could this marriage evolve into an integrated software / hardware production suite like a Pro Tools HDX system? Could the next version of Tracktion Waveform have SADIE's advanced audio editing capabilities?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. hammond231

hammond231 Member

Well, it better have freakin' oversampling. That's what kills their other limiters for mastering use, especially trying to use XL.

8. hammond231

hammond231 Member

This kinda just looks like a fancy-pants Masterdesk.

If it was a real mastering tool, it would have multiple levels of compression, EQ and limiting that could be re-ordered in separate modules. Imaging and M/S control. And it would have to be sonically superior to what's out there already, and feature quality oversampling and SRC.

This doesn't look that interesting to me from the screenshot. I'd rather roll my own with the superior plugins I already own: Crave, Weiss, DrMS, L2, etc. Or just use Ozone if you don't really know what you're doing.

9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

As I know, this was announced many months ago with other tools (already-released and announced ones).

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There's still hope for humankind... less extreme-compressors/limiters and more expanders

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

No, everybody knows that they are for untalented bedroom beatmakers trying to compensate their lack of skill by throwing ozone on it skipping through presets to create that "heat" that "fire". :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

It's still for the better, you know, engaging with the source material. And if you're listening to whatever you want to put out, then that can mark the transition from talentless to talented. All in the learning process.

13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Reminds me of an old classic: "Anything labeled 'professional', isn't"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. dondada

dondada Rock Star

A lot of people have left for Pyramix and or Sequoia. Since there is Sadie Native, ME´s use all of them, depending on need.

15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

And others to Reaper. However, when you have a lot of $$ invested, and it fits your workflow, it is not as easy to forget about it as it is for someone getting into it. In other words, more newcomers will go for the alternatives than old users jumping ship. As good as SADIE is, if I were starting up I would not even consider it. I will go Reaper/Sequoia.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List