BRAINGINES use your GPU as a DSP.

Discussion in 'Software News' started by MrLyannMusic, Feb 5, 2021.

1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

https://www.braingines.com/

Nothing else to say, but check their website and hope for the best.

also you can Request trial at the button of the page.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  3. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

hehe why me.. its braingina what i read.. but seriously cool stuff :shalom:

4. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

they say it adds 1ms latency, i hope it is rock solid code

Abbey road studio is using it,

But i cant say i need more CPU.. Maybe people wasting money over at Acustica Audio will go buy a load of these so they can run their compressor impulse responses

5. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

...am I not fully understanding or reading their site correctly? Being available as VST3 only... is it something that is cross platform... or the typical Windows only format? The website doesn't list any system requirements or detailed outline... And, let me save some of you some time before you attempt to drop some knowledge. Yes... Mac users do know VST3 is available on their systems..

6. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

omg.. gamers, stremers, scalpers, miners ...aaand now musicians raping the (fictitious) GPU market..
    so happy I got my nvidias just about 10% above the msrp (and felt robbed at the time)

ofc, nice idea otherwise :yes:

though if you look at that GPU blade servers, you should (re)consider which of the above you want to be ..like crypto? ;)

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Seems interesting, but too many questions unanswered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Looks interesting but I'm not sure how this works. Do you have to use their plugins only? Is there other hardware involved?

9. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

From what i understand, they have their own plugins, which i suspect they made just to prove this is a viable option, but mainly, they developed the code that can be used in any native traditional plugin, to make it run on gpu rather than cpu, so basically any dev out there can download the SDK, implement it into their already commercialized plugins, and with a bit of bug hunting it can ran on gpu.

i think anyone with enough skill, can download UAD plugins, and compare them to their Native counterpart to see the difference, that might already provide some insight, but basically this is the same thing, expect the attention is to make it run on any GPU, also they have provided this graph which shows how mush better a gpu is compared to a traditional cpu...

[​IMG]

10. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

This is similar to what happened with CPU vs GPU rendering for 3D, took years to become production ready because it’s not a simple case of translating code, render engines had to be specifically written for GPU, and now it’s commonplace, so unless there is a big benefit, I can’t devs rewriting their plugins for a long time, but it may lead to other companies entering the market. That said, audio and graphics, different beasts.

11. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

can't ram be faster? if there's a way to keep it permanent.. much cheaper but still keep it beast ofc..

12. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

@MrLyannMusic
    Thanks for that info..between something like this along with stuff like Audiogridder, we can really expand our computer's capabilities.

13. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I would say the Audiogridder / VEP solutions will be the way forward for a good while yet, especially for the home studio guys (and gals) that record live instruments.

been watching a lot of Junkie XL’s studio time as really delving into composing, and the best one on this is this vid, where he shows how he has a small space geared up as a machine room with 2nd hand servers!

might not be possible for a lot (okay, most), and obviously being able to slap a 3090 in your tower and never run out of juice would be epic and easier, but the fans the cards need, would be prohibiting for a lot of people, and even then, it’s reliant on devs learning a new architecture for gains that probably can be achieved through other means. That said, could see GPU and reverbs being happy pals as they are computationally expensive and always been resource hogs.

14. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Just like a studio, eh?

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm with the posters above who sort of question why CPU speeds are that much of a "bottleneck" in Audio work to start with. It's always been memory and HD access speeds that are noticeable improvements in Audio Production, especially anymore. CUDA acceleration for certain other "tasks" using linux OS machines and applications which can actually take full advantage of the additional "processing cores", can yield dramatically improved results on LONG processing runs of enormous files (or the piped output of something like crunch into pyrit you would see in Penetration Testing scenarios). Nothing I ever do in Logic takes long enough to walk away and get a coffee refill. It looks very interesting but also like the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

yes, but he is on about it from the perspective of people that don’t have studios, but rather home studio, how it can be achieved with both limited space and resources. Obviously he has the means and assistants to run these things, to set things up for him, ensure it works as it should, but he is basically pointing out the if you have a small cupboard space, for very little money, you could have a couple of used servers connected via VEP to give 1000’s of Kontakt instances.

17. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Which is how it is in a lot of good, commercial studios anyway. That was my point. It's pretty much standard.
    So that the noise isn't in the control room.

18. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

agree with that, especially when people have been using DAW’s with machines less powerful than my iPhone to record albums with for years. Obviously the quality of hardware emulations (instruments, amps, studio gear) has improved to the point it’s hard to distinguish, and that takes grunt, but even Omnisphere crushes a LOT of machines, so maybe in time, as the ever increasing search for marginal gains continues, alternative processing is needed. But considering people can now do on a laptop what required a whole VFX house 10 years ago because of GPU processing, I agree that the needs of one industry don’t necessarily match others (I remember a client of mine buying a new machine to process point clouds, and 3 years later, my new lappy had twice the power!).

19. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

yes, I agree, I posted that because from the perspective of someone that isn’t as fortunate (and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way) to spend a lot of time commercial studios, and when I see a lot of these solutions for improving processing power, I see a lot of home users like myself see it as an easy win, but it seems a little unrealistic. The vid shows how home users could benefit from a more simplified setup that echos how the pro’s work.