Bought myself an new SSD...how to reorganize Kontakt libraries?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by liquid23, Oct 2, 2024 at 6:50 PM.

1. liquid23

liquid23 Ultrasonic

Some of them shown up in one specific view, some others in a different view.

Got lost here.

Start over from beginning seems to be the best choice.

Any hints?

3. Semarus

Semarus Producer

Encoded libraries are in the Library tab, non-encoded libraries you have to load from the File browser. A well organized Quickload menu is the best/fastest way to access them both, IMO.

4. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

You can use the various tools on sister site or here (KLU, Kitty Script, etc) to create NICNT files for the libraries that do not have them. You can even create wallpapers. this way they will all show up in the library tab, and you dont have to navigate to them using the file browser. I agree that quickload is the best approach though. You can organize however you see fit, with as many layers of subfolders you need.

I have it like

Drums:
    Cinematic : Organic > Hybrid > Electronic

Synths:
    Analog > Experimental > Classic > Randomized > Pads > Hybrid

and so forth, with categories for Strings, Vocals, Percussions, Live Drums, FX, Bass, Guitar, etc etc etc all with their own subfolders.

5. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

My advice would be to organise your libraries on disk using your OS and it's directory structures. Then just use the FILE tab in Kontakt to browse. This, for me, is way easier than messing about with tons of little graphics and stuff in the browser. Keep it simple, tidy the source.

6. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

you gotta try quickload. It will save you a lot of time browsing. You can basically just copy you file structure into quickload.

7. liquid23

liquid23 Ultrasonic

Thx for your replies, but I´m confused just by the different discriptions. Encoded, quickload, library tab...

Don´t get me wrong, but I don´t get it at all. Halion and Falcon are much easier to handle :unsure:

8. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

Its really not that difficult. theres a libraries tab, thats where libraries with an NICNT file show, official or not. Theres also a browser, where you can navigate through your system or external hard drive's file system, and load libraries. Theres plenty of tutorials on kontakt browser available if you need a basic introduction to the terminology.

I dont have experience with halion, but do with falcon, and falcon can be easier, but has not even 10% of libraries available for it. Its extremely limited in available content when compared to kontakt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Do you know a way to save or drag "snapshots" into Quickload outside of saving a patch as it's own nki?

10. Diamz

Diamz Ultrasonic

It may be helpful to know that Kontakt libraries are generally looking for 2 files. An XML file in the service center folder and a plist file, which is naturally stored in preferences folder. The XML is generic and comes from the installer and the plist is created by native access. The plist (note, this differs from the user plist) contains the source/root location for the specific library. It is possible to copy these files and just edit the plist to reflect your new drive location. Not too sure where these are stored on PC as I use Mac, but if you get stuck with other methods, you may find this helpful in your quest.

11. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

I would suggest buy a 10Tb sata drive to back up the SSD, when those SSD circuits blow it could cost you $1000 dollars for data recovery.

12. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Platinum Record

deleted

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 1:37 AM
  13. redhead

redhead Member

Wondering if any of you have experience setting up QuickLoad with very large sample libraries? A couple years ago I spent many days organizing and setting up a great Quickload database -- and I loved the access it provided. But it was a major drag on the system. Kontakt took daaaaaays to load, and that wasn't workable. Has that changed in recent updates?

14. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

This is also my experience with the Quickload area. Also, if you use the graphical browser (with all the little pictures and stuff) this also seems to bloat Kontakt when you are using very large numbers of libraries. So the only efficient way I've found is to organise on disk and just browse the files.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong though or I missed something - I'm very happy to make positive workflow changes where possible!

15. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

I was about to do the same...but I thought it would slow down contact even more.
    What do you think, would it be worth it or would it make Kontakt extremely slow?
    I really have a lot of libraries

16. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

17. NeeboObeen

NeeboObeen Noisemaker

If you are on a Mac this was a very fascinating way that bypasses the problems of quickload. I will be going this way.