Bought a sample pack with redistributed samples

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Niels, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Niels

Niels Member

Hello,

First of all: I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question/opinion. If not, please move to the right direction.

I'm having the following issue:
    I recently purchased a sample pack which claimed to have presets, samples, midi files etc.This was in the title.
    Right underneath the title they summed up there were samples, midi (no project files, presets). Below in the text it was stated again that there were everything I needed for the genre: "samples, midi files, presets, project files".

Anyways I've bought of lot of sample packs and I do know that sometimes stuff gets mixed up, so no problem with that. I knew there was a big chance there were no project files tbh.

The real issue is this: going thru the sample pack I immediately found fills, kicks, ... etc. from other packs just renamed. They are 100% identical. The midi files were copied from another pack. The samples/midi files weren't altered in any way (no eq, compression, fx, ...). I'm basically paying twice for content I already own. There were also no presets present.

I didn't have clue before, because there was no demo of the sounds or trial pack. I was just looking for sample packs in a certain genre, which are pretty hard to find.

I do want a refund and the seller denied. He claims he processed everything himself etc... Which is clearly not true.

What are the steps I can do further? If I file a Paypal claim, what can I do to make sure the claim will end in my favor?

Thanks!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

You can not purchase anything from that source again, and learn a valuable lesson for what is probably a small price.

What sort of ripoff samples did you fall for? Paypal, eBay, etc, should already tip you off...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  4. Niels

Niels Member

I obviously won't buy anything from him again...
    I'm trying to settle things with Paypal right now, but I want to make sure the claim ends up in my favor. I don't know how Paypal will judge this.
    He replied that he wants to give me a 70% discount on one of his other packs, what I don't want. I just want the refund.

What did I fell for? Well I'm looking into this softer progressive house style like Cat dealers, Vintage culture etc. The samples he took were just from Vengeance and KSHMR packs. Straight up copies, just renamed and I immediately recognised them.

I bought something straight from his website and it got denied first because of government stuff or whatever and after that he suggested me to make the transfer thru paypal and he sent me a download link after that (he also said I wouldn't regret it lmao). I made the claim within 8 hours of the purchase as I went thru the pack some hours after I downloaded.

Do you have experience with this stuff?

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

this is why i would never buy anything without hearing a legit demo first. not just a couple loops using a few of the presets. i want to hear a large part of what i am paying for. every time i see someone selling sample packs with no demo at all for $50, i just laugh.

6. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

7. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

i have no idea how sample packs and such things work, but have you tried null testing the samples that are "identical"? Maybe they are just extremely simlar.

It still sucks, but if it does null maybe you can leak the information to the creator of the original files and see what happens.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

You have a little more of a unique scenario there. Normally people like this will rip people off on websites like eBay. Not their own website, that is pretty bold. I have used PayPal to pay for samples and other audio work before, but from very legitimate sources only. The payment method is not really the issue; it is just most commonly used for eBay transactions rather than an https website with SSL. People will often use it so they can get payment for work as a "gift" and not pay taxes immediately, or any. That's not your concern. Someone selling via eBay or with no real demos like @realitybytez suggests, is just a very fast red flag. We can't try to cover them all, because they simply "rotate the hustle" anyway.

From above linked Paypal article:
    We do suggest you read our full take on this topic, which starts below this line.

Let’s take a step back. The seller is in one of the two situations:
    1. They knew they were selling you counterfeit items and they’ve done the transaction with bad intentions
    2. They weren’t aware that the item they were selling is a replica

" He claims he processed everything himself etc... Which is clearly not true."

Is it possible this person exported these samples and thinks that qualifies as "processing"? lol, I am not sure which is worse.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  9. Niels

Niels Member

The samples are 100% identical. There was no EQ or any effects on them. I even ran a comparison online (I don't know in how much that is trustworthy, but it also confims 100% similarity).

Even if the seller "thinks" it's okay. He should know that this is wrong.

@realitybytez thanks for that article.

Seems like the seller is quite aware and wants to be a step ahead, because he escalated the claim further to paypal. He may even have an advantage as he offered "a solution". Goddamn. So there is no option to "negotiate" even further.

I tried to be polite and provided as much details if I could. Sent them a lot screenshots (even one where the seller changed the title of the sample pack after my claim) where I showed the similarities between the folder structure, and the sample similarities. I also ended with I'd be happy to provide any other information.
    Does Paypal also have access to the conversation I made with the seller?

Guess all I can do is wait and see if Paypal needs something more from me and if the case ends up in my favor.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agree. I think that he says he did them himself lands him firmly in category 1. scammer.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Could you mention scammer's website , the name of the pack you purchased and the name / brand of the original one, please?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i don't want to take credit for someone else's contribution. that was @PifPafPif who gave you that link.

13. Niels

Niels Member

@PifPafPif Thanks for the article. Really helpful.
    Meanwhile Paypal already settled in my favor.

The website was https://www.joiasgalucci.com.br/packs

I bought the "Satisfying" pack (which wasn't satisfying at all).
    I immediately recognised samples (fills) from KSHMR and opened my claim with that. Almost all the other samples sounded very familiar as well, but to instantly find them in other packs is a bit difficult.

I'd suggest not to buy from him/them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. KarateChop

KarateChop Producer

that website gave me computer cancer :wtf:... a Sample store, a fake Jewellery store.. what else? :deep_facepalm:
    :suicide:

15. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Happy you recovered your money !
    Industry Kit are better scammers :rofl:

Almost all "their" production is copied.

16. Maxim Getman

Maxim Getman Producer

A friend of mine working as a sample producer.
    Few month ago he dropped me 53!!! samples at Splice that were stolen from his store and just renamed!
    Many companies have been caught stealing:
    Cymatics (Terror Drums), KSHMR Vol.1 (samples.melodies, renders from Output kontakt libraries), Loopmasters drum kits is a huge swarm of renamed drums,etc,etc,etc...

About refund. If you have a card submitted to your PayPal account, you can claim the company in fraud through the bank side.
    And that's a HUGE chance that the company gonna be banned from Bank/PayPal. Wish you best luck with your issue!

Not as an advertisement, and this store is not my friend's store I would recommend looking at monosounds.studio! Really cool samples!

17. Genry Frod

Genry Frod Ultrasonic

Man, just check this
    :) He is repacking Evolution Of Sound presets in his own "PACK" :D

18. Niels

Niels Member

Haha, yeah I didn't notice that at first... That's some weird stuff indeed.

19. Niels

Niels Member

Loooool didn't even bother to rename it... That's lowkey sad.

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

This might be one of those fun internet things for someone with time to unravel it. But if you follow the link to his "free sample pack" it lands you at this site; and there is a interesting page: https://pumpyoursound.com/tool/repost-trader/

That tool is made by W.A. Production. And as junk as this site is, it looks somewhat complex for someone to make; just to scam you.

I know it is a scam. I am interested in the details. There may be more at work here. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  21. bigbiggy

bigbiggy Guest

:like:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022