Bought a legit library - now I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by ImJim, Sep 30, 2022.

1. ImJim

ImJim Newbie

Hey,

I recently bought a legit copy of a Kontakt library form a company that uses an online installer. The thing is, I own a few other libs from the same company but didn't pay them.

After downloading I started to wonder if somehow the installer could "see" my other files in the destination folder, and have that info stored somewhere. I immediately deleted the installer once the download was finished, fearing it could access my data without my consent :rofl:

I started to get a bit paranoid about it and looked it up on the forum. So they supposedly watermark your kontakt files (which makes me a bit nervous tbh), but is there ANY other way for the developer to know what you own from them or not? It's a bit far-fetched I know, but I feel weird owning just one legit lib among a bunch of stolen ones :dunno:

Thanks for your help!

3. Boreios

Boreios Kapellmeister

-

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. ImJim

ImJim Newbie

Thanks a lot for the (kinda) reassuring reply. In my understanding watermarking is intended for tracking illegal copies and finding folks who shared them, right? Guess the unique watermark brings to the user account who purchased the product?

Anyway, my paranoid spy-installer theory is maybe a bit of a stretch, but I hate online managers as any kind of data can be collected. Hope that wasn't the case here...