Boss space echo RE-20

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by seppy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. seppy

seppy Newbie

Hello guys,
    I wonder if someone can help find a solution to my problem please?

A friend in uk gave me a boss space echo, i was wondering how to hook this up to a scarlett 18i6 so i can use it in ableton live 9

I just don't know which cable goes where guys? :dunno:

[​IMG]

Can anyone help with this problem please?

3. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

I can totally help you with your problem. Mail that sucker to me and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Seriously though, just think about it. You want audio to come OUT of the Scarlett, IN to the Boss, then OUT of the Boss, back IN to the Scarlett. Pretty self-explanatory. Just need to be able to identify INs and OUTs on your Scarlett. Clearly labeled on your pic of the Boss. Then you need to set up two tracks in your DAW, one track sending audio OUT of the Scarlett by whichever jack you used. Then a second track to receive the audio back IN the DAW from the Boss on whichever jack you used for the return.

4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

be sure to post some sounds when you get it working.. looks kewl

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lol. Outs to ins. Just follow the signal path.
    Works every time.

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

As many said, the signal flow is pretty simple, outs from the card to the ins of the thing, outs of the thing to the ins of the card *yes*

Anyway, are you really sure you want to get into using an external effect (and deal with ableton PDC issues I guess, if there are with plugs I fear there are with inserts too.) ?
    If you had the real deal, the real Space Echo I mean, I wouldn't think a second and hook it up, but with this revival I don't think it's worth the trouble.
    You have plenty of plug-ins that probably do the same or better. Check out GSi Emulation if you want.

7. angie

angie Producer

I don't know about RE 20 but usually boss effects are good products.. But GS 201 is simply fantastic! And ehm.. made in Italy! :wow:

8. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

This pedal sounds much better than the mentionned plugin!

It won't fuck up with voltage/temperature/tape age/stage rumble like the original one.

Echo Boy does a good at emulating this pedal under normal condition, but for feedback abuse, and driving, none come close to that pedal. (except for the original, + the hassles mentionned above)
    I've been using this on stage for years.

If you use it as a send/return FX, don't forget to switch "DIRECT" to off.

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Also nice Echos:
    https://www.ableton.com/de/packs/dub-machines/ interesting tone but i am not yet convinced fully of it
    http://de.line6.com/podfarm/ especially the tube echo, the line 6 echo pro hardware sound better when it comes to feedback tho ( I have both)
    http://www.waves.com/plugins/h-delay-hybrid-delay great control over feedback

10. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Hmm yes and no it seems you havent use any real pedals they ALL sounds different from vst:s
    They don´t just have a dsp chip like you think they have resistors and other stuff in them which make them sound different from the virtual versions

11. seppy

seppy Newbie

Many thanks for the replies - i appreciate that

Still cannot get any sound from this thing lol :rofl:

The focusrite 18i6 is a new card for me and im still unsure of which cables go where and i'm slowly learning the mixcontrol

Am i doing this right guys? - cable goes from the focusrite line out 3 to the boss input A and from the boss output A to the focusrite line input 3

12. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

aw, man, I have been whining here before about how much I miss the true tape echo of an Echoplex™, and here is one that works about as well.

13. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Seppy,

Follow all the instructions provided above for the 'Ins' & 'Outs' signal flow, and you'll get it 'hooked' to your Ableton LIVE 9 & Scarlett Soundcard... :wink:

My comment here is to provide you (if not already done !) a suggestion when working with your 'external' BOSS Space Echo RE-20. *yes*

[​IMG]

Simply load within the desired Audio Track the 'External Audio Effect' item (from LIVE 9). You can simply 'Drag & Drop' it (as done with other Effects,... ).
    When done, simply configure your 'Scarlett 16i8' as depicted (suggested) in the image. You can then, if desired, rename that 'External Audio Effect' to 'BOSS Roland Space Echo RE-20, and save it as a 'Preset'. This way, the next time you'll use your 'BOSS Roland Space Echo RE-20', you only need to load that saved Preset (with its proper Settings), and you guess... your setup for that 'external' Effect will be ready in seconds ! *yes*

Hope it helps in some way... :wink:

____________________________________________________________________​

ADDED AFTERWARDS :

Ooops... I was a bit hasty in my previous comment !!! :snuffy:

Rather than rename the 'External Audio Effect' item itself, save rather the 'Preset' (as separate) under the desired name. You'll find it afterward within the 'External Audio Effect' item (as done with other of your saved Settings/Presets/Racks,... within LIVE 9 in their respective Folders).
    This way, you'll find that saved 'Preset' during the next Session, thus keeping the 'External Audio Effect' item with its original name in case that you want to use other 'external' Effects with the same process... *yes*

Sorry and Good Luck with your next 'external' effect hookups ! :wink:

14. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Yes seppy, that sounds like you connected the cables properly. Now you need to setup and monitor tracks in your DAW. As Studio555 explained. There are a few factors that will keep you from hearing sound. You need to have the send and return setup properly in your DAW, as Studio explained. You need to have a program loaded on your pedal. Make sure pedal is not in bypass. Check DAW and make sure you have monitoring enabled. Monitoring is like saying, I want to hear this tracks input. Not like mute or solo. Like you need to enable monitoring to hear it live. And also, not sure about Scarlett, there could be settings for levels, like -6db, -4db, etc. That is the volume setting of the jacks. Not sure how Scarlett handles those, but some devices have switches to change the db of the jacks themselves, if the signal is too loud or not loud enough.

So, you need to have cables hooked up, send and return setup in DAW, power on pedal, load an effect, make sure its not in bypass, and enable monitoring in DAW. Check levels and possibly adjust db settings on Scarlett. Also, you said Scarlett has a virtual mixer, you may need to change monitoring and levels in that too.

15. seppy

seppy Newbie

I can't thank you enough tater and studio, i'm now up and running - thank you all so much for helping this poor noob out :mates:

This is a great forum lots of courteous folk who are willing to part with their knowledge, unlike some i have visited where the people where less than helpful.

Thank you again guys. :grooves:

16. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

Nop, it's not. There's a DSP involved in this one, and it's good. it's not the usual setup.

the amping part of the pedal is analogic, the components aren't black magic, but they don't have much to do in the character of the RE20.
    still, the DSP processing is completely off the specs.

17. Obi

Obi Newbie

I have just bought a RE-20, but how do I hook it up to this mixer, please?

Attached Files:

18. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris