BOSS Announces Multi-Function Foot Controller - 11/11/22

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by BEAT16, Nov 11, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

BOSS Announces Multi-Function Foot Controller - 11/11/22

FS-1-WL Wireless Footswitch can control MIDI gear, DAWs and more over Bluetooth

BOSS has announced the FS-1-WL Wireless Footswitch, which they describe as a versatile multi-function foot controller for a wide range of applications. They say that users can control digital music score apps, YouTube videos, DAWs, and supported BOSS and Roland gear wirelessly over Bluetooth®. It's also possible to connect a MIDI cable to operate multi-effect processors, pedals, and other MIDI hardware. And with the dedicated editor/librarian app, the FS-1-WL can be customized to control nearly any software application or MIDI device. Here's the details direct from BOSS...

Compact and durable, the FS-1-WL is an essential wireless partner for all types of creative situations. It can send keyboard commands over Bluetooth to smartphones, tablets, and computers and comes with three pre-loaded setups for popular apps. Users can also change presets, control effects, and more on Bluetooth-equipped BOSS products like Pocket GT, Katana-Air, and Waza-Air, or the GX-100 via the Bluetooth® Audio MIDI Dual Adaptor. In addition, the FS-1-WL supports communication with Roland's WM-1 Wireless MIDI Adaptor and WM-1D Wireless MIDI Dongle to control MIDI hardware devices and computers without built-in Bluetooth support.

With the FS-1-WL editor/librarian app on a Mac/Windows computer or iOS/Android mobile device, users can assign custom keyboard commands to the footswitches, either single keystrokes or combinations with modifier keys like shift and control. And in MIDI mode, custom PC and CC messages can be assigned. The app software also provides the ability to save and organize configurations for different needs.

Backed by decades of BOSS design expertise, the FS-1-WL is comfortable to use and built to last. The three onboard footswitches are quiet and easy to press. Status LEDs provide high visibility and can be set to different colors with the editor app. Two AAA alkaline batteries offer up to 14 hours of operation on the move, and AC power is supported with an optional BOSS PSA adaptor.

Up to two external footswitches can be connected to the FS-1-WL for expanded control, both with MIDI messages and keyboard commands. An external expression pedal can also be connected for continuous parameter control of any device that responds to MIDI CC messages. The FS-1-WL features a TRS MIDI jack for wired operation of MIDI hardware devices. It also functions as a plug-and-play MIDI input device for computers and mobile devices over USB.

Pricing and Availability: The BOSS FS-1-WL will be available in the U.S. in November for $129.99.
    More information: BOSS FS-1-WL

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Ermahgerd! Finally!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Rock Star

I think it could have been interesting... if they'd integrated also an expression/volume/wah pedal.

My old Zoom (analog) pedalboard had two, that I used extensively on stage: one for level, one for wah/mod FX, and I would never buy a product which don't have at least one.

Here you have only three - overpriced - MIDI switches, anyone could build a similar gizmo with a soldering iron and few components for almost nothing, following numerous YT DIY tutorials out there.

P.S.: Note that they use BT to transmit the state of these - overpriced - switches, BT is known for its enormous latency (in the best conditions, with the best hardware: 50 ms minimum, BUT most of the devices out there, even labeled "low latency", have an average latency of... 150 ms!) so this thing is not reliable enough for professional use.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. crackkingcole

crackkingcole Newbie

I's rather get a Keith McMillen Instruments SoftStep 2

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Rock Star

Hey, not baaad at all!

With these kind of controller, one can make a lot of nuances, adapt the level of an instrument to random - sometimes chaotic - stage conditions, could be perfect for live situations... But I do prefer the traditional-style expression/volume (MIDI) pedals, you have better sensations and control than with this softstep pedalboard.

7. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

BT is ok for latency; not as much as 150ms; ~30-50ms? Admittedly, that's just feelings and approximation. Possibly wishful thinking cos physical distance! Thing I'm most interested in is BT to attach a couple expression pedals, and hopefully it will transmit CC, instead of on/off. Which is what I've been stuck with foreves, it seems! The switches on this are basically furniture! (Kinda wish this did up to 4 pedals, but 2 is enough. I rly wish they'd do a USB / BT expression pedal, but that seems beyond humankind atm =(

8. Haliax

Haliax Guest

upload_2022-11-11_14-48-9.png

Who drives their car over their studio gear? More to the point, who keeps a damn car in their studio?

Attached Files:

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List