Bose systems for live performence - great experience!

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phloopy, Sep 3, 2015.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi

I´ve played tons of gig during the last many years - small and huge gigs. All of them with a traditional PA setup.

Lately I´ve tried something "new" when I´ve played small acoustic gigs for about 100 - 125 people wich has totally renewed my experience and opinion on how PAs should work!

The setup is actually very simple (and cheap):

2 x Bose L1® Compact system
    1 x Soundcraft EFX8 (NB: any other passive mixer can do the same job).

The equipment is light - only about 30 - 40 kg for the whole thing. Easy and fast to put up, easy and fast to trim sound wise, and most importent:

IT SOUNDS AMAZING!

Basically you have the exact same amount of power on the stage as you have in the rest of the room, so what the audience hear is exactly what you hear as the musician. no stage monitors etc. just one/two sound sources for all in the room, thats all!

Basic line: you dont need as a musician, to try imagine how you sound is on the other side of the speakers, you can just lay back and play the best you can knowing exactly how it sounds.

Bose makes gear with much more power (same concept - just bigger) if you need it!
    I dont really think this setup is good for all kind of music, but if you need a setup with a well defined sound for both a small audience and the band, this is the very best I´ve ever experienced - period!

FACTS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Bose® Spatial Dispersion™ loudspeaker technology delivers sound evenly across the stage and throughout the audience—even to the extreme sides
    • Two ToneMatch® channels with fixed presets for a handheld microphone and an acoustic guitar
    • Integrated bass speaker in power stand
    • Two setup positions: collapsed for smaller spaces or extended for larger ones
    • Ideal for musical performances, mobile DJs, classrooms, business presentations and other events
    The L1 Compact portable line array system: Carry it in one trip. Set it up in one minute. Fill the room with Bose sound.

The L1 Compact system combines conventional PA and monitors into one sleek unit. Positioned behind or to the side of a performer, DJ or presenter, it delivers wide, even sound coverage throughout the stage area and audience—even off to the extreme sides. It's our smallest, lightest, easiest-to-set-up L1 system, weighing just 29 pounds.

Big sound. Small package.
    Now you can have quality Bose sound for almost any gig, event or occasion. The L1 Compact system is small enough to fit in your trunk or back seat, and its innovative modular design makes setup easy and fast. You can arrange it in either a collapsed configuration for smaller spaces or a taller, extended configuration for larger ones. No extra gear to haul. No heavy speakers to hoist onto stands. No speaker cables.

A different loudspeaker
    The L1 Compact system's slim loudspeaker distributes sound clearly and evenly throughout the room, thanks to Bose Spatial Dispersion technology. The speaker's unusual vertical shape makes it distinctly different from conventional PA speakers―and has a very positive effect on sound coverage. Even audience and band members off to the extreme sides hear the same clear, tonally balanced sound as those in front.

The L1 Compact loudspeaker array is smaller than those in L1 Model I and II systems, but it produces comparable horizontal sound coverage. L1 Model I and Model II loudspeakers project sound further with less dropoff of volume than the L1 Compact array.

Integrated system
    With the L1 Compact system, you don't have to carry a separate amplifier, mixer or bass cabinet: They're already built in. The system's power stand includes an integrated bass speaker and amplifier, plus a built-in mixer providing a total of four inputs and two outputs.

Channel 1 is a microphone input with a customized ToneMatch preset for a handheld dynamic microphone. The preset automatically optimizes a handheld microphone's tone when used with the L1 Compact system. Channel 2 accepts up to three inputs at once, including a guitar, keyboard or other instrument, DJ mixer, MP3 player, laptop or projector. It features a customized ToneMatch preset to optimize the sound of an acoustic guitar.

The L1 Compact system: audio performance, simplified setup and one-trip portability. Only from Bose.

Features
    • Spatial Dispersion™ loudspeaker technology features six small drivers mounted at precise angles inside a slim, vertical enclosure. This proprietary Bose technology delivers nearly 180 degrees of horizontal sound coverage. Sound remains consistent even at extreme sides of the system.
    • Integrated mixer in the power stand provides one microphone XLR input on channel 1; channel 2 has one instrument input, one RCA stereo input and one 1/8" stereo input. Both channels have two-stage clip lights, volume controls and a customized ToneMatch preset. Rear panel has one 1/4" balanced line output and one RCA stereo output.
    • Integrated power amplifier in the power stand delivers clean, precise amplification for L1 Compact loudspeaker and bass enclosure.
    • PA and monitors are combined into one lightweight, highly portable system. Proprietary Bose technology enables the system to be positioned directly behind or to the side of a performer, eliminating the need for separate PA speakers, stage monitors and mixers.
    • Proprietary ToneMatch presets optimize the L1 Compact system for a dynamic handheld microphone (channel 1) or acoustic guitar (channel 2).
    • Two unique setup positions, extended (78.5"H) and collapsed (16.5"H), let you tailor the system's sound coverage for the room or event. For larger audiences, use the included loudspeaker extensions to elevate the array. For smaller gatherings and meetings, leave the array in its slot on the power stand and place the system on a tabletop.
    • Durable, lightweight, interlocking components make the system very easy to transport, set up and break down. The power stand weighs just 25 pounds, and the total system with loudspeaker and extensions weighs 29 pounds. No speaker cables, stands or bass modules required. The entire system can be set up in a minute or less.

Specs
    Dimensions/weight
    • L1 Compact power stand w/loudspeaker array:16.5" H x 13.25" W x 16.75" D (24.6 lbs)
    • L1 Compact loudspeaker array:16" H x 2.75" W x 2.75" D (3.0 lbs)
    • Each L1 Compact extension:32.5" H x 2.75" W x 2.75" D (2.3 lbs)
    • Collapsed position (assembled):16.5" H x 13.25" W x 16.75" D (24.6 lbs)
    • Extended position (assembled):78.5" H x 13.25" W x 16.75" D (29.2 lbs)
    In the box
    • L1 Compact power stand
    • Power stand/loudspeaker array slip cover
    • L1 Compact loudspeaker array
    • L1 Compact extensions
    • Power stand cord
    • Exstensions carrying bag

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Live sound reinforcement technology has come a long way. With class D amps and modern cabinet design, live PA has gotten easier and better at the same time. I run Mackie Thumps dialed in with a dbx DriveRack. The mixer changes, depending on what I need. Big hi-fi sound, 35lbs. each for the 15s. 300 watts on the woofer, 100 watts on the HF driver. I use a Mackie thump 12 sometimes, 27lbs. Built in limiting, low, high and tuneable mid controls. I don't miss lugging multiple 50lb power amps in racks at all. But if I could afford it, I'm still a JBL Pro series guy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Wow, this is truly stunning!
    Still, I'm having problems with the total weight - good for cars, trucks, not for bikers such as myself.
    :rofl:
    Back in the day, I just loaded two Behringer 1Cs onto my backpack, 20W Amp, few li-ion batteries and that's it.

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

But my system will drive a rock band in a medium size club. If I were doing a singer/guitar player thing, the smaller Mackie and a little mixer is all I would use.

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

at the venue i work, we've been using the bose l1's for years now for sound reinforcement in small to medium size ballroom settings. they do a great job if you don't have a need for powerful bass or stereo imaging. both of those things are critical for me personally, so i would never choose this system for my music. but for live acoustic sets, yeah - perfect.

7. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Some ppl use it as FRFR guitar amp for sims ;)
    Diffusion is very nice, so you can make small gigs without anything else.
    You get direct sound on stage and broad public diffusion.
    I still find the price...Bose :D

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Totally agree with both statements!!
    Expensive solution but also a great solution for small acoustic jobs in all aspects!

9. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

This is what most of my friends use for their solo acoustic gigs. I too will be starting my solo thing very soon and while I have enough old fashion gear to cover most venues, I may bite the bullet too. Turbosound (yeah I know it's Behringer) will be coming out with a similar concept known as the "Inspire Series". Great price and decent specs but no one has heard the product yet.
    http://www.turbosound.com/products/iP1000