Bootleg amnesty...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Davros barsteward, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Davros barsteward

Davros barsteward Newbie

Hi folks.
    Over the years I have amassed a huge amount of bootleg software that I have become pretty dependent on, but I’ve also bought a lot of software too. It’s only now though that I’m really starting to suffer from overkill and too much choice. Like trying to decide what eq or reverb or latest synth plugin will be best etc. So I’ve decided to have a bit of a bootleg amnesty with myself and delete everything that I don’t own off my system. It’s going to kill me and I deliberated on maybe keeping one or two choice goodies but then the whole cycle of brain bogging choice kicked in again and I spent hours staring at my plugin folders instead of being creative and making music. So my final choice is to delete everything I don’t legally own and be done with it. That includes terabytes of Ktakt libraries and preset libraries in amounts I couldn’t hope to afford in the real world and which I think were the root of my problem. It may be an age thing. I used to get by on 1 drum machine a sampler and a couple of synths and I loved it. The limitations being the mother of creativity. I kind of want to get back to that ethos. Even with the software I’ve bought I have too much. I suppose the purpose of this post is to see if anyone else here has done this and also to see if there are others here who find the sheer amount of choice we have these days to be a debilitating or liberating thing. Am I being over dramatic? Will I regret it? There is only one way to find out.

3. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

No, you won't regret it but that notion can take a few years to kick in... :guru:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

My 2 cents: just do your music, once in action you will feel the need for certain plugins, libraries, synth etc... That's when the choice will be easy.

5. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

A timeless truth , the more limitations you set yourself the more focused and therefore creative you are
    Just delete the fuckers and learn to play the violin :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Don't worry so much. Load random shit when you're jamming with yourself. It'll be fun.