Bold statement; Power cord can change your sound like nothing else.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Von_Steyr, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I would buy a cable for 20$, a new audio interface for 1980$ and delete my AS account. :wink:

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

10$ wont cut it bro. Dont cheap out on me again :hillbilly:

3. [​IMG]

Ensure the quality of your electrical supply with a Steinberg Teig Meer funktioniert.

Built to the same exacting standards as Battersea Power Station for that really Authentic Sixties sound!

$4,000,000 + Dongle.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I've always found the major/minor third to be a little bit redundant for my kind of music:guitarhero:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  5. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

If you are going to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for super duper "audiophile grade" power cables or even worse "power conditioners" because you're hoping to correct power issues, you are WAY WAY WAY better off investing in a what's called an "Isolation Transformer."

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008N6S7/

The product in the above link is marketed for hospital use but it can solve all kinds of power issues for audio components, both consumer and professional equipment. For example if you have ground hum, the super cheap but super unsafe way to solve it is to use the three to two prong adapters. An isolation transformer is the correct and safe way to solve such an issue.

Basically, it's similar to a "voltage regulator" but better because it completely isolates everything that's plugged into it from the mains. And while quality units aren't cheap, they're actually useful and a LOT cheaper than so called "audiophile" products.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

@Von_Steyr

Yes it can, you're absolutely right.
    But what you don't clarify is that you have to sing the Marseillaise backwards while rendering your song, and more precisely, in Eb (singing it in B may invert phases of all your snare tracks. F# will simply remove all frequencies below 102,3hz).

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Exactly.
    GLI (ground loop isolator) device isn't very complex (just 1:1 transformer) , and can help with a lot with grounding issues.
    Mains isolation is one way of doing this, but you can also isolate the signal.
    However there are drawbacks related to RFI caused by those isolators.

8. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Dirty power vs clean power.....yes. Otherwise, "flat-earther" territory.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Blorg

Blorg Producer

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

lol....you offered an inconclusive test, done with three cheap cables. Nada, zilch, my friend.

11. Andrew

And you offered in fact no test at all. Just statements of someone else with no conclusion

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Ultimately, people just want to plug-in their laptops, hook up their $150 focusrite audio interface and beats headphones, and create music.

13. Blorg

Blorg Producer

On the off-chance you're not joking & Poe's law didn't get me once again:
    I don't think "scientific" means what you think it does. The burden of proof is always with the one making a claim (e.g. "all pigs like cheese," or "eating my poop makes you a better producer"). So when I come to your door and ask you to buy my poop, your unwillingness is neither close-mindedness nor unscientific. It's just common sense.

14. Andrew

This ends here. Trolling is not allowed on this board and you should be aware of that by now.

Further discussion on this topic should follow empirical, factual nature backed by verifiable claims.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Best stuff is created while in the bog. Without any power cables. :rofl:

That's a low blow at Andrew, Von_Steyr. Not allowed.

16. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

No need to go on personal attack. This only demonstrate that you are short on argument on the actual subject..

17. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

You really should cool down on this ... :dont:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi @Andrew & other fellow members :bow:

from personal experience (idk if this is useful for the thread but i will share it)
    so i have a blue baby bottle mic...if i connect the mic to an apogee duet 2 interface with a cheap livewire cable i get noise & some static,
    if i connect the same mic with a blue quad cable($34) i have a clean signal
    as for power,on my second semi mobile studio set up i use a Furman SS-6B 6-outlet Power Strip with EMI/RFI Attenuation & have peace of mind
    :bow:

also don't fight each other,some people in this world do not have food to eat,we all are blessed here,that we can mix/master,create music,good or not it doesn't really matter,in a 100 years from now no one would really remember us

Peace,harmony,lots of laughter & love to every one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  19. Andrew

This could be a problem with shield being connected to GND on one cable, and not on the other. In some instances, the shield (especially on active component) have different potential than GND and by using the mic with that, those potentials are shorted out, resulting in audible buzz.

Also since the low-level transmission is analog, it's always useful to have extra layers of shielding. Van Damme Starquad Miniature is the best bet, as it's relatively cheap while offering twisted pairs for every phase.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

I remember a time, when audiophiles couldn't truly call themselves audiophiles unless they demagnetized their CD's before listening to them. :)