Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry - Remix

Discussion in 'Working with Video' started by alpha3, Jun 2, 2016.

1. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Hi Friendz in Audiozone land. Here's my latest remix. As usual please please please feel free to comment either good or bad. It all helps my head in moving forward with remixing and video editing ideas.
    Many Thanx. Captain Tez :)

3. eboe

eboe Producer

Groovy!

4. Nice. I would like to have heard a little more weight on the Marley vocals, otherwise, I have been groovily grooved by your grooving mix.

5. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Thanks for your comments. Appreciated. Yeah I do agree with your comment about the vocal. I struggled to get it to sit in the mix properly :(

6. Maybe you can, if you gainstage it just right and if you have one, send it back through a colorful preamp to add some transformer color, or maybe add some tasteful distortion or vibe with a plug in like a tape simulation. The original was made to sit inside of the live recording when it was first produced. You need to in some way include it within the context of your additions and color scheme of your re-creation. Maybe another way would be treating each individual track with the same reverb and varying the eqs to mesh it all together, make a concise space where everything plays nicely with each other. Also maybe spread it out a bit with mid-side plug as it is in hole in the center as it mow stands. A combination of a few of these things might tie it all together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

Nice, good work! :wink:

8. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Thank you for your suggestions. Very appreciated and thought provoking. I am limited to just a PC and some plugins but I will experiment with some of your ideas. :)

9. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Thanx :) Much appreciated :)

10. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Cheerz :)

11. Who Me

Who Me Producer

Was dreading listening to this... I thought why on earth wud u (or anybody) rework this of all tunes...bt...it was much better than I thought... :wink:

There's a few issues with the vocal however...(despite the tonal issues already mentioned by others), the timing is off in quite a few places.

To fix this uv got to go through and time 'all' of the words to the music better...Get the flow right for your tune/music/beats...as it's obviously different to the flow of the original version.

I'd also think u cud maybe use less of the vocal and use selected phrases selectively (and more effectively)....that's if u don't mind sacrificing the song structure, and going for a more traditional dub arrangement.

All in all tho....good effort...with a bit of further development u cud just take it to the nxt level.

:like:

12. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Yes I did struggle with the vocals on this remix as I've mentioned already. I do like to try more unconventional songs to remix as again its a bit different to other peoples work. As a lot of remixes do break the vocals up a lot more, I do try to keep to the original structure as much as possible. I acknowledge the timing problems. I didn't hear several things I could have polished better. As I mention on my youtube channel I am experimenting with ideas. I still have a lot of things to learn which is why I like people to comment. Cheers for yours :) Much appreciated :)

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Dem wouldna mine to hear dis a 50 Hope road mon !

In other words... good job :wink:

14. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Many Thanx :) Much appreciated :)

15. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

If I understand @superliquidsunshine about the vox, there's something I can add maybe, given limitations to the tools you have.

I've been shown vox is almost always mid position of the stereo image (gono wtf scope I forgot), so when I was trying to figure out how to isolate just the voice, to make acapellas (the inverse of Karaoke) I used an eq that could select mid/side and left/right (like Fabfilter) and used that to isolate the vox. Idk if you'll introduce phasing issues, but that all depends on how heavy you eq, so listen carefully. If you have an isolated vox, lucky you.

Then you can give Bob back his low end, saturate, and add short reverb (room for example) because NO reverb is actually unnatural to the ear and I think I do hear a short delay not reverb (rented ears though), mixing back that track in parallel to the original. Up to you if you make the bass duck the vox, now that you can use the isolated vox to trigger a compressor in the range that would step on his voice. But as I listen over and over, his voice is really clear which means you chose a good compression on the vox already. After 6x now learning compression, clearly hearing and understanding wtf they are saying, (if vox) is the sign of a good job.

To glue the tracks together, you have a choice of compressing both together a tiny bit (blending on RMS), saturating both together a tiny bit (adding common consonant harmonics) or adding a different slightly longer length reverb (adding wtf do I know, together), and I think I forgot other ways to glue, maybe the API eqs (they do sound good and I still don't understand why), on the master/send/aux tracks).

crappy chart.jpg

Either way, I think it sounds good, but I understand @superliquid thinking to make Bob sound "more substantial" I hear that only after I looked for it, but unconsciously maybe we all "hear it," but that's a "pro" level hear, imo (which I'm definitely not). I remember the original song, and you definitely made it your own.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  16. alpha3

alpha3 Kapellmeister

Yeah the vocal is on its own, plus I created a double track version. Then comped the 2 together with just one line that wasn't available to. I felt the vocal was very thin and eq'd a bit to try to beef him up a little. But there was little if any bottom end on the vox to boost as I remember. I haven't had a chance to re look at it yet. But I am interested to see if I can try some of these ideas out. Many Thanks for your input I've now got a lot to think about so I am grateful for that. Cheerz :)