Boards of Canada - 1969

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Jainy Grains, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jainy Grains

Jainy Grains Newbie

At 1:04, the vocals. How did they achieve that "auto-tuney" effect? All i can think of is the robot algo in Soundtoys little alterboy vst. But that didnt even exist back then i think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. easy_kid

easy_kid Ultrasonic

seems like that some kind of distortion or bitcrushing is done to the vocal.
    i can also hear some subtle auto tuning.

could be heavily processed with guitar effect stompboxes, but idk exactly.

4. dondada

dondada Rock Star

talkbox effect or similarly vocoder

5. sounddesign

sounddesign Newbie

sounds granular - I bet some Max/MSP custom patch.

• List
  6. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

7. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian Member

Auto-Tune was released in 1997, 5 years before Geogaddi, so it might even be Auto-Tune itself.

8. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

I know. Maybe it's a lagging on weak PC? Just decrease Your latency to minimum and run heavy plugins in the background :wink:

9. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

The generally accepted wisdom is that it's a vocoder, almost certainly Korg, probably a DVP-1.

It has to be remembered that the vocal sound in 1969 is almost (if not) identical in processing to the sample in 'A beautiful place out in the countryside' and in fact there is a demo of 1969 that uses that sample in it's place. Which means whatever they used for countryside would have to be available before 1999, which rules out the microKorg's vocoder.

They were playing with yamaha gear at that time (An1x and CS1x) and while neither included a vocoder afaik, the Mu family was available at about that time, and had a very very similar vocoder ability on the PLG100VH card, so that's also a possibility if the assumed Korg vocoders weren't actually used.

I've heard people say they could get the same sound with the "Digitech Talker", presumably in the vocoder mode.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

My Full Recipe

Scenario 1:
    Put a vocal with ~7 words, cut 2 last words and reverse it. Add these FXs - Vocoder, Wow & Flutter, (and vst for Glitching Latency Effect like Teragon Audio ChaosChimp or ReFX Trasher)
    Scenario 2:
    Same as 1 but instead of using glitching latency effect vst use very weak PC or recreate this effect on the strong PC with settings like sample rate 96kHz or 192kHz and 1ms latency or the smallest possible if not glitching yet add a few heavy plugins in the background on empty midi tracks like Diva or Serum.
    Scenario 3:
    Same as 1 or 2 but instead of Wow & Flutter use AutoTune or Chorus with fast modulation or Chorus + iZotope Vinyl. Try to experiment a little :wink: