block specific connections like littlesnitch in ableton11

Discussion in 'PC' started by emericax, Mar 23, 2021.

1. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

Hi,

is there a chance to block just specific, that means not entire ableton11, connections just like i can do on Mac with littlesnitch?

I have a paid cloud vst in ableton but dont want other plugins to phone home. Its afaik not possible with my bitdefender total security. With it you just can block entire ableton but not specific connections.

Thanks for suggestions.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

ABleton does not call home.
    You can deactivate Updates int he Preference and also send usage data.

You can use Windows firewall where you block all outgoing connection from Ableton. There are tutorial you can find via google how to do so.

Windows has something inbuild which is effective, no need for something like littlesnitch on windows.

4. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

thats exactly what i dont want. block ALL outgoing connections from ableton.
    I cant use my cloud plugin when i do that...

5. ArticStorm

But which outgoing connection do you want to keep? also its like 2 clicks to deactivate the rule in firewall settings. I dont use it, had no problems with plugins calling home or syncing.

I dont understand your point, what do you want to block? For me there is nothing to block with ableton?

6. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

dont forget hat ableton can host custom plug-ins which easily may make use of network connections.

blocking whole apps (i.e. everything) is of course the normal case for a network filter, but if you want to open something again, the windows firewall is just not the right layer.

somebody uploaded a tool of that class to SS yesterday, but i dont know it and cant comment it.

i am a big fan of LS on mac, though it would be great if you could more easily edit the prefs manually when required.

7. ArticStorm

okay i found meanwhile netlimiter for windows: https://www.netlimiter.com/products/nl4
    (this was the tool, which was uploaded yesterday @Obineg )

you can open Ableton with no plugin loaded and set it on Ask - then you can monitor when you open the plugin what you want to block ips from, you can also block only this ip then.

for example open loopcloud and want to block only access to it, so when the ip popup comes click on remember and the ip will always be block then, while you can still connect to ableton for updates.

8. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

Yes that sounds exactly like what i was looking for. I will test it soon. Thanks

9. AudioMixing22

AudioMixing22 Member

there is a free crazy app it's simplewall crazy firewall and with a tiny size, I've tried for a long time now it's indispensable. I was a mac user for a long time and I've used little snitch, I found Simplewall is the closest alternative for Windows users though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021