Black Lion B173/Stam SA73/GAP Pre73 mkII/Fredenstein HD MicPre/GAP Pre73Jr

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by LeMec, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LeMec

LeMec Noisemaker

Hi all,

As the title suggests i would love your feedback/advices/opinions regarding these several mic preamps.

Main purpose will be vocal (VO also), bass and acoustic guitars.

Thank you in advance for your replies

3. C7

C7 Member

They all probably copy the same Neve 1073 schematic so the sound will likely be very similar. Golden Age Project has been highly praised ever since they came out though, and are probably one of the best preamps in their price range. I would be wary of using any sort of stripped down "Jr" version though.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

My choice from most recommended to least would be the following :

STAM SA73 (<---my choice, with Sowter or Carnhill, I like both!!!)

B173 (All BLA gear is a great buy!)
    GA Pre73 (...meh)
    Fredenstein HD (500 series. Do you have a 500 rack?)

I have no experience w/ Fredenstein. I don't know what direction in sound they're going for (Neve, API, Clean, etc.., and it's 500 series.)

5. C7

C7 Member

Black Lion B173 ($499.00)
    Stam SA73 ($399 or $459 depending on output transformer)
    Fredenstein HD MicPre ($449.00)
    GAP Pre73 mkII ($379.99)
    GAP Pre73Jr ($249.99)

It looks like you are looking for a good preamp under $500. You won't get the AMS-Neve or BAE quality of sound out of the budget 1073 clones though. For the most part with clones you tend to get what you pay for though, and it seems a lot of people praise the B173 as one of the best preamps around $500. The Golden Age Project stuff is more in the budget preamp category as opposed to the other offerings.

I would also consider Warm Audio's WA12, and Focusrite's ISA One.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. LeMec

LeMec Noisemaker

Thank you all for your replies....Indeed the 500 issue is to be considered as i can't at the present moment get a lunchbox so the Fredenstein is definitly out.

Guess the "contest" now is between Black Lion B173 and the Stam SA-73.

I'm from Europe so the delivery time and ease of purchase might be something to consider. Anyone knows the delivery time of the Stam ?

I can get a Black Lion B173 from Thomann ( a german mega musicstore) from $499 within 4 days tops

7. TW

TW Guest

I have the fredenstein and the GAP MK 2 for mostly mobile recording. I use the fredenstein often even in my studio on bass. Never heard the SA 73 and the b 173. If I have to choose a character preamp between the gap and the fredenstein the Fredenstein wins for vocals and bass. But the gap is not bad at all. I just like the character - sound - colour what ever you call it more on the fredenstein. More pleasing on vocals and bass.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Larr

Larr Newbie

I used the Gap pre 73 mk3 great on vocals I'm actually selling it though just started my 500 series collection with Heritage 73jr

9. LeMec

LeMec Noisemaker

Does anyone knows if in the case of the Stam SA-73 the DI input bypass the input transformer ( this seems to sadly be a comun feature among these price level preamps)

10. If you don't mind the wait to buy the far and away best choice amongst your selections for a Neve flavored preamp, the Stam is a forgone conclusion. Get it with the Sowter iron on the back end and get high on the low end umpf that it partakes on tones 500hz and belowish. The Stam is the sum of it's quality components throughout. As well, AFAIK, the transformer remains in the signal path when you go directly in.

My sermon is always the same, hold out and purchase the best you can get or else buy twice or three times the same tool and loose money in the long run.

Since the preamp is very much towards the bottom of the signal chain priority need (performance, song, instrument, microphone, room, preamp, conversion...according to superliquidsunshine), use what you have until you have the dough to buy correctly the first time.

Peace and Overtones ( written while walking the dog)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017