Bitwig's Lack of Features: Ignorance or a Marketing Strategy?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Davey Jones, Mar 30, 2014.

1. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

:dunno: where's the sub-forum for bitwig :excl:

:dancing: I'm getting confuse with all the threads all over the place. lol

Also, where do they post channel log/update log
    I been trying to find out. I know someone posting the updates here. I just want to figure out where they get it from D:

2. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

I've been using Bitwig on and off since it was finally released to the public after what seemed a lifetime of intense hype and build-up. I am still yet to complete a track because the performance becomes very jittery and slow after breaking the 45 channel mark.

The clip system in my eyes is slightly better than Lives, but it is missing expected features and therefore falls short of being a next gen DAW. However some of the effects such as Reverb (That tail!!) and frequency splitters provide something new and refreshing. So far I am very disappointed but I still use it, trying to write at least a tune on it.

3. robbin_banks

robbin_banks Newbie

With the newest 1.0.6 the pitch bend works but not the mod wheel

4. faxyourself

faxyourself Newbie

Hi

This DAW seems to really divide opinion. It has gotten some good "mainstream" reviews but also a lot of criticism. It seems the cool thing here is to hate it. I get that some omissions are quite glaring; no fades, nesting etc. Also that the development time/developer attitude is possibly questionable. Beyond that, are there reasons why it is a bad choice?

I ask because as someone that liked a lot of the ideas behind Live but could never really get into it creatively and find a good flow with it, I am quite liking Bitwig. I have found it generally easy to use and most of the layout just makes sense to me, it just feels easy to get to grips with for me personally.I know I will be told "use what works for you"..I just want to know if I am possibly wasting time committing to this DAW for the foreseeable future. Are there inherently bad things connected to the GUI being done in Java? Are there other potentially fundamental problems with it that make it a poor choice?

I am open to all opinions biased, unbiased and other.

Thank you

5. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Hello there,
    A few years ago Arturia's STORM daw didn't went so well and it was built through Java as well, so they think that Bitwig will repeat the history, but let's be serious, the stories are different. Java doesn't mean weak and bad, the overall Bitwig daw seems usable but it still needs some improvements.
    I tried it this week and i faced a nasty bug so fast (or user error, i don't know, maybe somebody will help me out here) with the browser. I have some waves plugins listed in the browser but when i type in their name to pick up a particulary one of them, it shows no result. :snuffy: It's weird as long as i have the plugins under my nose but when i try to pick up one of them quick it just prompts no result. :snuffy:
    Anyway, i really like some other stuff, like the layering editing, notes expressions and other stuff, but i just can't understand that damn little thing about its browser... :sad:

6. faxyourself

faxyourself Newbie

Thanks for the reply. It certainly seems to have issues that should have been sorted at beta. I can't help liking it though.

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

I'm curious if someone faced the same problem as mine (with the browser's wierd behaviour)

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

just give bitwig some time to shape up nice, it is not easy to get a v1 out with such an amount of feature and to get everything working full.
    and when you encounter bugs, report them to the support, how should they know it is not working for the people.

9. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

I've been 'testing' Bitwig because every time I try and do a full track the damn thing keeps crashing all the time. Noticed this occurs alot when going over the 10+ automation mark. Even with there latest update 0.7 the bounce is broken and the pitch jumps to -24 all the time. The Automation snapping feature is horrific (Not a big fan of Abletons either). Lots of other strange and annoying bugs. I really like what it could be but I've never reached that potential due to constant crashes.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Did you tried to run it in "Run as Administrator" mode? I faced some crash too and i remembered that i didn't opened it as administrator so i thought is worth trying, so after i ran it as administrator there was suddenly no crash. See if it works for you too.

11. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

can we have a sub-forum for bitwig :dunno:

12. Regz

Regz Producer

Yeah, why not?..........

Sir Catalyst, where art thou????

Heheheheh.......... :wink:

13. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

Yes I did with no luck however it did stop the sluggishness slightly when past the 20 track/2min mark and thats on an i7.

14. kaspy003

kaspy003 Newbie

Bitwig use JAVA only for GUI and activation!!!!! Audio engine and modual system is not written in JAVA at all!!!

15. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

the current price asked for bitwig is too much for such a young and underfeatured 'daw'

it is a pale mix of studio 1, logic and live in one software, lets give it another 2 years and see what's in there (if it still remains alive by then)

16. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I said the same things about Studio One 2 years ago when 2.5 pop up, now we are at 2.6.5 with only small updates

17. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

that's because they have said they are silently working on v3.0, so the day when it will be out it should be big :wink:

18. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

ok now they are working on V3, the point was if bitwig will take (like Presonus) 2-3 years to make big updates Bitwig user will wait for it? i don't think so, music is far more important than single daw. While waiting for V3 of Studio One, i'm checking Logic Pro X.

ps: You can't be serious to me Bitwig isn't a "mix of studio 1, logic and live in one software" to me is just a better looking Ableton, the only features i can recognize from Studio One is the ability of seeing differents midi track in one view... Logic is far more superior than Bitwig maybe in the next 4-5 years will be a major daw. But for now (maybe just for me) isn't a Daw at all.