Bitwig's Lack of Features: Ignorance or a Marketing Strategy?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Davey Jones, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I'm not here to argue DAWs, but saying Ableton 8 and 9 is "full of bugs" is a stretch. They do have issues, but they can be worked around. Not so much Bitwig. This is not to condemn it, but asking "why." Version 1.... version 0.1... There's no reason to not have very, very basic things, like fades....smh... fades. With that long of a beta testing, did they not listen to their testers?

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well, its more long term than lets say.. 6 months.... Lets face it.. as beta testing goes, they haven't done a good job...some of this stuff is basic, basic stuff.. and who owns that code anyway.. the coders.. or Ableton?

Wasnt even really the code I was on about, was more or less the layout, the design paradigm, the 'way it works' ..its pretty much copied... wasn't something they had to spend a millennia designing eh?

As far as Live 9.. I dont recall last time I had a crash, or an issue.. the PDC needs fixed.. other than that, it's solid as a rock for me... Just works. Between it and S1.. Im pretty much set.

Not like im the only one thinking this way.. I'm sure you've spent a few mins on KVR in last few days.. its a mess.

Its the only DAW that been cracked, and one that I was REALLY looking forward to.. that I haven't even bothered downloading after I tried the demo. lords knows Even if I had 400 bucks, wouldn't be going towards Bitwig.

I personally think its incumbent on any serious software company in this day and age to get all the main features added and MOST of the bugs ironed out before.. 1.0

I mean, good lord, it uses 1.2-3 gb of 2gb before anything is even loaded.. :wow: *no*

If it needs a year more in private beta.. so be it... or a public beta.. Novel idea.

Like u said.. its a wait and see.. maybe it'l turn into a giant killer, I hope so... I comment on current status only.

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Anybody remember Arturia's STORM that was written in java and where is it now? :wow:

Bitwig should of been released on April 1st​

[​IMG]

4. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

April 1st :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

There's was a storm comin' :rofl:

6. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

I have to agree with whoever said the software feels heavy...

That resonates with me...it feels sluggish as hell, not at all snappy. It's going to take some serious quantum leaps for me to abandon FL Studio for this.

In fact, for composing...I doubt that ever happens. For a live set its got a ways to go before threatening Ableton.

The vision I had for Bitwig was that it could possibly bridge that gap between a composition/arranging DAW and a performance DAW...

That dream seems to be on hold atm.

7. johnw

johnw Kapellmeister

I think the only problem is the price which very high (remember Reaper first verion was free), and i think the programmers was lazy , 4 years for doing something very basic . Presonus Studio one was more powerfull when first version came out and didn't cost that much , but this was their choice .The software is buggy as hell , crash a lot , not recognizing devices (nanopad2) and plugins (some vst3) . Reaper do a lot better , not to speak about Sonar X3 or Studio One version 2 . I think this is a no go right now and i will wait for a version 2 , is they don't go bankrupt first .

8. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

I don't really wanna jump on the ring of "my daw beats yours".

All i gotta say is that Studio one wasn't a perfect daw in version 1.0. Once 2.0 and 2.5 came out was a huge deal.

Everyone forgets that the company is made out of 8 people. lol

There's no Mac revenue, Presonus revenue, or any other kind of support behind their work until release.

I don't understand why the fanatics of ableton just rant on bitwig. They should be happy that ableton has competition and that will push the company to adapt other features unless they want to lose customers. Then i realize is the internet and we all little midgets angry at life.

------

My own review.

I think the multi out was a key feature that didn't make it to this version. Same goes with markers. I'm sure that it will be added.
    I haven't had a crash lately. I did upgrade my java and seem to be the solution.
    It works fine as of now. Plugins load up fine.

There's no much complaint on missing features on my behalf but i do like having the clip launch and arrangement together. I don't know about you but tabbing on ableton felt like you were warping to a different world. (It remind me of mario bros pipe)

I have only test it for 3 hours and i haven't make a big project yet. I will see later on how it handles huge load.

As for now i probably give it a 8/10.

I had high hopes just like anyone but i think for a version 1.0. It deliver a good product. They seem to be working on constant updates which is a good thing.

9. johnw

johnw Kapellmeister

Sorry guys, but here is about quality vs price vs learning a new daw . I already know 80 percent from my daw , why do i wanna invest 300 euro in something not even close from the daw i already have and know . I'l do that if this daw will be easy to learn and have feature that my daw don't have. But Bitwig don't give you that .

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i guess they run into time troubles, thats why they released finally, and not to mention the big pressure the people put into it.
    that are the main reasons imo - that they are still some features left.
    im pretty sure they will keep adding features and also work on the stability. i can see a bright future! :wink:

also keep in mind, bitwig is pretty small company, dont expect it to be as big as ableton.

11. ebaby8119

ebaby8119 Newbie

you know what you make a valid point im going to agree. :wink:

12. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I understand. but at the same time, I can't give 'em any leeway because they're a small company. They're a small company and they still managed to implement unique features like hybrid tracks and unified modulation, to name a few. Of course, they will HAVE to implement the missing features to remain in competition, but how could you overlook them initially?

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

problem was arturia was to early with the jave stuff - it was released in 2003 and i saw a fwe wmonths a demo/ad video of it and to be honest, if i had seen that video back in 2003 i considered to demo it and possible buy it, because it totally suited the stuff of music i wanted to do at that time. well, but i guess the problem was the strange install, because i never got that H2O version working on my computer in 2004.
    (not sure if it was a problem H2O created or if it was arturias fault?! :dunno: )

anyway im still looking at daws like reaper, ableton or FL what they had to offer in their first version and bitwig got a lot of these features already we have in version 9 or up on major older daws.

14. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Yes indeed, complete bullshit - I work with Live 9 on a daily basis and almost never encounter any bugs - if people using badly cracked stuff and then blame it on Live, well, no comment on that.

That's what happens when you give your beta only to some wanna be hot shot producers - they don't have time to test it and so will not report back on faults. Best way would have been an open beta.

15. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

It didn't improve much they went all the way to v4 and the problems followed them, a lot of people had issues with it mainly sluggish response etc.

H20 dropped of touching it some smaller grps released it but gave up knowing it was just not very useable.

Cheers :wink:

16. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Why is everyone concern on the open beta

The program got crack within days. It's a java software probably easier to crack than other daws.

You gotta take that into consideration. A leak of the software and they might not even make their money back.

17. madman jason

madman jason Newbie

I tested bitwig very in depth and actually i pretty much like the program. it has an easy and nice workflow with a good view, yes indeed the most features we already know but the simple it can be done in Bitwig i never had with any other daw. Moreover there are some pretty good features like the audiomod which is an awesome alternative for sidechain, i like it even better, because with the mod knob you can easily sidechain more parameters at once. i also think the launcher clips make it way easier to arrange a track then using a session view/arrangement view. the way audio can be manipulated is also very easy and it works flawlesly. also the modulation features are very good as well as the sound of the synths and the fx, especially the reverb. i don`t know why a lot of you hate this program within a few days, maybe you have to give it a try. ok it`s missing some features but i missed the automation knob for 3rd party synths but now only one week further it is already implemented in 1.0.4. i`m sure we can also folder grouped tracks in a short time.

18. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Also vertical zooming :snuffy: VERTICAL ZOOOOMING! :snuffy: We're in 2014 for Music sake... :(

P.S. a 1.0.5 update popped up when i opened it now. :dunno: It's a joke?

19. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

To be honest, what I disliked the most was the Live layout but the overall look is easy on the eye. Secondly, it's not really sluggish. More like it's taking its time, lol. But seriously, it's quite smooth. Third, the zoom. Bleh. Piano Roll and the multiple views felt a bit like a puzzle but I guess you can get used to the switching. Other than that, didn't really use it more than a few minutes (not to mention, there's like one update every day which is a good thing I guess, but it's annoying too - 1.0.5 currently)

Didn't have any crushes, except that the system thought it crashed when I actually closed it off myself. Something with the Bridge host exe... (I think PLAY ran the best out of every single DAW I've tested it on - I couldn't drag nkis with the mouse in Kontakt...)

Ehm... It doesn't seem to be able to import MIDI...?

Can't widen tracks vertically either...?

Also, why is noone copying the Piano Rofl from FL? (Except the automation drawing)

Overall, it gets some used-to but it's quite stable and slick. I actually got a bit drowsy after messing around for a few minutes. Considering I usually rage, I don't know what I feel right now... Soothing experience. :rofl:

I think it has some potential. Not too amazed but not let down either. Could see myself spending more time with it. Maybe...

20. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

I agree.

But also... Why couldn't they implement the freezing of the effects/instruments right in the "bounce in place" feature? :dunno: Would've been a great and fast feature (Like Studio-One's Track Transform).
    I would also like to see implemented a certain key to press when you drag a sample from the browser over another sample(in the arranger view) so you can replace the actual arranged samples with the new ones from browser without having to delete the arranged ones first then re-arrange the ones from the browser (in Studio-One you can do this by pressing Alt, which is a very useful feature)