Bitwig's Lack of Features: Ignorance or a Marketing Strategy?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Davey Jones, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

As Bitwig recently dropped, we noticed quickly the great, new features and we've also noticed key features that are missing, i.e., Multi-out/multitimbral support, grouping tracks, etc. Do you think they simply didn't think it through? Or was it intentional, so you can buy a version 2 (with all of those features and requests) with certainty?

3. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

It's just early in it's life. To me the lack of AU's for mac is a biggie. I found Live clunky and this seems similar.

4. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

BitWig 399.99 really? I'm glad it was cracked few days later Seriously let a Lesson be learned
    Should be 199.99 or 149.99 to start I'm mean Cmon Reaper is third of that price and blows it away
    i think there was more time and thought put into the GUI on this Wanna be DAw then any thing else

BITWIG IF YOU READ THIS ! BETTER CHANGE YOUR GAME QUICK

5. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Some of the missing options are so blatant that you have to question if they'd done it on purpose.

6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

I guess they ran out of money before implementing some of the essential features so they thought would be better to release it now (because people was waiting for it), for a 400$ price tag, so they raise some money from their first sales to support their further improvements. :dunno:

7. telekom

telekom Member

You didn't honestly think this thing was going to have EVERYTHING right out of the gate did you? As far as I can tell, they did a pretty damn good job at making a simple straightforward (yet complex) piece of stable software. They probably focused on making it stable in the early stages so they have something good to add on to in later revisions.

8. Pereira

Pereira Producer

A java based sw can't be a serious and professional option

9. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You can't be that sure... we'll see in the future :dunno: . At least we could've judge it fair only if it had all the missing essential features and stability.

10. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

Bitwig was in 'beta' for 2 years, that gave them plenty of time to get feedback from beta testers and to get the product right for when it was released. Unfortunately it looks like they ignored all the beta testers because there would have been many folk that raised all the above omissions.

Bitwig are not good at interacting with their customers, and many people are having problems with Bitwig but are not getting any help from support.

I think they took on a project that was too big for them. They have released a product that is still beta. They added some nice new features, but spoilt that by not including some glaringly obvious important features.

It is not a professional DAW at the moment, just a toy for now, maybe down the line they might get their act together, especially now they have a lot of cash rolling in. There is no excuses from here on in, they have the finacial resources now, and if they do not make improvements, and fast, then the interest will fizzle out and it will become just another Sony Acid.

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

In this competitive day and age, after years of beta testing...and copying most of its look and features straight out of another DAW... umm yes... I expect it to have basic features all taken care of. *yes*

What's the point of having some new and nifty features to apply to ur tracks, if you cant even route ur instruments and effects to them?

Then throw a 400 dollar price tag on it.?

Seriously... It's almost comical.

12. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

No. Not at all. But at least mutli-timbral support. I think that's very basic. I'm not questioning the effectiveness of Bitwig, but you may be right. They may add it on to a later version...... was that planned, though?

13. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

for the price they are charging, it damn well ought to have everything that a mature daw has - and more. the comparison to reaper is appropriate. a daw in this price range ought to be able to do everything that reaper can do at a minimum.

14. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

Depends what you mean by 'everything'?

Customers expect certain features as standard these days, and Bitwig has left out some of those obvious features, which is very strange. BTW, it is not stable, I am getting a lot of crashes and I have tried it on two machines now. One of their USP's was stability, and that is not true, so I'm having serious doubts about Bitwig as a company based on many factors. Hopefully they will up their game now they are much richer.

15. ebaby8119

ebaby8119 Newbie

Im going to stick with what i know Fl studio does basically all functions i will ever need honestly i think its better to get use to a good piece of software and learn the ins and outs to the fullest vs learning it a lil bit then saying ohh look at this daw now you have to re learn its just to much time wasted if you ask me.

16. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i just say that for a month or so,i read on audioz people comments saying they were expecting this bitwing,as if it was some sort of holy graal.then a few days a go it was finally released....150 mb! Seriously? people waited for 150 mb of a sequencer when there r so many valid options fully equipped with almost everything u may need to complete a project.
    I wonder why i am surprised,after a few years on this site i ve realized that most people here don t know anything about anything and they keep on dowloading stuff hoping to find some magic software that will do all the work for them by simply clicking once on the mouse,without any knowledge or will to know anything about music and or technology.
    Intentions r a good thing...but intenttions without study and application don t take u anywhwere.
    So kudos to those who waited to download and use bitwig with who knows what expectations,i wonder what u did until last wednesday when it was released,probably u were spending your days collecting software and crying that u didn t have what u needed to create your music,probably u re sthe same people who don t miss a chance to say pro tools users are morons because they use pro tools.
    Much ado about nothing,shakespeare would say

17. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

Its not about what Bitwig hasn't got its about what Bitwig has that other DAWs simply don't.

Its in its own bracket. I think in time people will see what it can do in its current state and use it for its intended purpose rather than trying to use it like abletons or?

Its most def a marketing strategy. Had it come out with the "missing" components 1/ people may have jumped in and used Bitwig too similarly to abletons yet atm they are "forced" to get the most out of whats there and discover the "power" of the innovation's bitwigs has that other daws don't. 2/ When the add the so called missing components it will give weight and perceived value to updates and future iterations.

18. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

WRONG! Java based software can be extremely stable and fast BUT you need skilled coders indeed. The option is also to port it to Android due to Java! :)

Furthermore, FLStudio is coded in Delphi, not a good choice for such a complex software. It took AGES to port it to 64bit, because the manufacturer of the compiler had SERIOUS problems with 64bit. However, FL Studio IS stable and useful, so it's possible to code a good daw in Java, too.

19. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

are the features in bitwing essential for a flawless workflow?maybe,in my opinion they aren t
    are the missing features in bitwing essential for a flawless workflow?according to most people ,they r

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I didn't know it was written in Java. That's ludicrous and even unprofessional. Now I don't even wish to demo it because there's no way I would use a Java DAW. Java is so inefficient and slow compared to C++. However, it's much easier to port such DAW to other operating systems so I don't see it as such a bad thing, but not my cup of tea, definitely.

21. xectis

xectis Noisemaker

I am an 'insider' and your second guess is correct. It is how companies/industry works, to make as much money as possible from our ignorance and submissive nature as slaves to marketing cleverness. Did you know if only 5% out of 100% of people never bought a company's product they would go under in no time? It's the power in numbers that will ever change the status quo. Until then the industries will continue to laugh at our weakness and continue to empty our pockets.