Bitwig v5

Discussion in 'BitWig' started by halfman73, Apr 11, 2023.

1. halfman73

halfman73 Platinum Record

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

is there a way to test it??
    or somedy knhows if changed something?

4. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

or they just created a new compressor? like all new daw versions nowadays

5. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

just some days ago i was testing again bitwig and its workflow (i started with fl studio, then went on to ableton for some months, just exploring new opportunities; i really like ableton).
    anyone here who switched from Live to BW?

7. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

30 day trial.
    Version 5 is not up on there yet.

https://www.bitwig.com/download/

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Bitwig Studio 5 introduces five new MSEGs. Developing this family of modulators and modules led to a major upgrade for our entire modulation system. In version 5, modulators can do more, like control track- and project-level parameters and expand into pop-out windows. We also created new ways to perform live with our software, and overhauled the browsers to make it easy to find what you need.

MSEGs: Beyond Envelopes
    A multi-segment envelope generator (MSEG) is a tool for drawing custom envelopes, automation shapes, looping patterns — and just about anything else. We created five different kinds that can be used as Grid modules, two of which are also available as modulators.

Segments allows you to draw your own envelope with as many points as you need and loop it if you want, while Curves enables you to paint geometric patterns onto a changing beat grid for a unique LFO. And if you can draw your own control signals, why not draw oscillators, too? That's a job for Scrawl, an MSEG with clever math to make handmade waveforms sound good at any pitch. You can even make custom waveshapers with Transfer, or use the phase-driven sequencer Slopes for a deeper level of control.

Segments is an envelope with global time-scaling and loop modes. Use it as a Grid and Polymer module or as a modulator controlling any parameter.

Curves is an LFO modulator and Grid module that can sync to the beat time or groove.

Drawing in the MSEGs' Pop-out Editor windows is a breeze, with tools for freehand entry or shapes, and shortcuts for jumping to double time or triplets — even while still holding the mouse.

All your designs can be saved as a BWCURVE file and loaded in another MSEG. And a visual browser lets you see your content (and our presets) at a glance.

Modulation, Elevated

Bitwig's modulation system sets itself apart with a powerfully simple approach: Any control source — including audio or CV signals — can affect any device or plug-in. Now our modulators aren't limited to devices — they can grab the mixer and project controls as well.

You can now animate your entire mixer with any of our 40+ modulators, from step sequencers to audio sidechains or envelopes. One LFO can modulate any device on the same track, as well as the track's panning, sends, and other parameters. And if you move that LFO to the project level, you can add modulations to all devices, channel strips, and transport targets, too. Want to sidechain the Fill button, or MSEG the project tempo? Now you can.

MSEGs aren't the only 5.0 modulators with Pop-out Editor windows. The Steps and Keytrack+ modulators and The Grid's data sequencers also got resizable panes for cleaner editing and some helpful new functions.

New Performance Gestures

In Bitwig's Clip Launcher, you press a clip to launch it. But what should happen when you let go? Maybe this clip should stop when you pick up your finger, or it could return to whatever was playing before. In fact, any of our Next Actions can be used, so just pick what you want from the clip’s On Release menu.

And now you can choose between two ways to trigger clips and scenes with a new ALT trigger option. The defaults are simple: tap a clip (normal trigger) to launch it at the next bar line, or ALT-trigger to immediately swap in the new clip, legato style. So decide in the moment and perform freely.

Project-wide normal and ALT-trigger gestures can be set in one place, and you can customize any clip or scene to have its own settings. That includes release options for both normal and ALT gestures, legato options for following the playing clip or the project transport, and a revamped Next Action section with simple loop counts.

Now that all tracks have their own remotes, the mixer offers a bird's-eye view of your most important parameters. That way, you can build a customized set of mix and performance controls. And new mapping options allow you to launch scenes and clips with any hardware.

Browse Better

The browser improvements are more than just a fresh coat of paint. Now, search results for plug-ins, presets, and wavetables (etc. etc.) all live in one place. The updated browsers also provide better ways to find our devices, customizable shortcuts, and a more visual way to browse your content.
    1. All Sources — including sounds by type, packages, your folders etc.
    2. Current Source — including hybrid sources, like Drum Hits (drum presets + samples)
    3. Quick Sources — customizable by drag‑and‑drop
    4. Minimize option
    5. Favorites view filter
    6. Filters
    7. Recent searches and snapshots
    8. Free search entry
    9. All search results
    10. Favorites & collections indicators
    11. Current selection
    12. Show presets for devices, plug‑ins

The new browsers implement a modern, flexible approach that does away with hierarchies. You can search through devices, presets, and everything else — including different types of media or content — all in one screen.

And then some…

The foundations got some love too, with a brand new onset detector that makes audio work better from the moment you drag it in. We're also introducing Spanish and Korean language support for Bitwig Studio. A dead-simple Keytrack+ modulator has an embedded MSEG editor window so you can draw your settings or load and save curves. And for morphing control signals, you'll love the new Wavetable LFO modulator/Grid module, equally suited for irregular shapes AND instant techno. Yes, please.

By The Numbers

v5 is our 20th major release of Bitwig Studio, which currently has 112 native instruments, note FX, and other devices. The semi-modular Polymer synth now has 270 combinations (9 oscillators × 6 filters × 5 envelopes). With the new MSEG family, Keytrack+, and Wavetable LFO, there are 42 modulators for controlling everything from the project mixer to CLAP/VST plug-ins. And The Grid now has a fleet of 200 modules, including all five MSEGs, Wavetable LFO, and some other helpful new friends.

Availability

Bitwig Studio 5.0 is now in beta and can be tested by anyone with a Bitwig Studio license and an active Upgrade Plan. You’ll find the installers in your user profile. The official release is planned for Q2 this year.

This is a free update for all license holders with an active Upgrade Plan at time of announcement (April 11, 2023).

View the full changelog here.

9. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

11. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Am I correct in the idea that Sonicharge Microtinic is now built-in, and if it is, anyone knows if it will as a vsts or such or will it be proprietary? I mean can I use it in another DAW?

12. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    no, it's not in Bitwig.

13. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

14. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

@Backtired yes, I switched from live to bitwig 3. Legit. Now I'm on 4.something (upgrade plan expired). It has a bunch of bugs but other than that really cool to work with (pop, dance, electronic music). I never touched the grid in 2 years.

The modulations are insane (I am only using them for basic stuff) - adding keytrack to any saturator to only saturate low bass notes (as the higher notes are clearly audible) in just 2 cliks, adding slight ducking to any non essential sound is super easy, extra modulating the pads after they exit the synth (extra filter or delays or whatever), again super easy. Modulating the 3rd party synths parameters omg! Working with Diva & repros in Bitwig is really something else.

Nasty bugs: the native arpegiattor can throw off track time compensation for that track - i have to use the time shift to nudge it. The humanizer module can slow down the gui significantly and sometimes, there is bleed from returns to actual tracks. I learned to work around them.

not sure it it will fit your own workflow, but you can definitely give it a try

15. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

The official release is planned for Q2 this year.
    This is a free update for all license holders with an active Upgrade Plan at time of announcement (April 11, 2023).

16. dondada

dondada Rock Star

Me, not fully because of backlog and i didnt test video (does it have integration?))
    Cubendo_ bitwig with reason as a plug is what i like the most right now.

17. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

18. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

what? version 5 already ? I haven't finished exploring the 4. It's so fucking deep that's what she said , gotta spend more time learning Bitwig, most of the time will get lost in the Grid.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

21. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Only thing of interest is new browser for me, hope v6 will be about something else finally, I don't use grid, modulators, half of these stuff, I'm in minority for sure, but one can dream.