Bitwig Studio 1.1 (Beta 5)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Evorax, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

So what? Most of the big producers in the industry bounce their mixdown and send it to the mixing/mastering engineer anyway so the bouncing hassle is still present. Why would you like me to use the same DAW for the whole song, when maybe the second daw is particulary better on the mixing/mastering stages? (due to the advanced freezing features, of course)

If you don't plan to make anything serious with your music, then yeah, it makes no sense to use two DAWs when you just play around, but let me point out the fact that you don't personally know me.

If i can't do a certain task in Bitwig, then what's so wrong in using another DAW to "fill the gap" ? Maybe i feel more creative in Bitwig and more technical in StudioOne. What's wrong with that?

I understand that auto-crossfades are crucial for you, but at least you can mention "IMO" in your sentences, because you may not find anyone to share the same opinion.

Have a great day.

Cheers

2. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

As posted above, it's a sound design feature. Being able to adjust a crossover point while some audio is looping is a huge time saving feature.

But as you said, you only use Bitwig for "quick stuff". Whereas I like to use it to write a whole track, including sound design.

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

But you can still find a workaround if you're really determinated to do everything in that particular DAW.
    Anyway, let's hope that feature will get implemented in the future. It will make us all happy.

4. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Sure, there's always a workaround. I've had to find many for Bitwig, as it doesn't support a lot of stuff I like yet. But it's getting better with each release.

5. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Well, unless Bitwig gets their act together and start to support VST3, it's a no-go.

Seriously, I can understand the lack of AU support. But daymn, there are some plugins out there like Z3ta that are VST3 only. It makes no sense to me why they omitted VST3 support.

6. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

True, looks like AU won't be added anytime soon.

From Bitwig FAQ:

"Since Audio Units are only available to Mac OS X, Bitwig has focused development on integration and stability with VST plug-ins. Future versions of Bitwig Studio may include support for Audio Units, for which details cannot be provided at this time."

In fact I don't see why they should add Audio Unit support. Almost all plugins that are in AU have their VST version. So why not use the VST then?

VST3 support will come but is very difficult to implement. VST3 is a nightmare to support for both plugin developers and hosts. For example, U-He has had a lot of problems with his VST3 plugins. Looks like VST3 is no picnic for everyone.

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Yeah, but adding a whole support just for one synth, that doesn't make that much of a worth for Bitwig.
    Anyway, it should be there, but it's not a must. VST3 are more important in Cubase, because (i think) that's the only supported format for posibility of sidechaining between plugins, but in other VST2 DAWs, plugin sidechaining still works. (will work also on Bitwig since v1.1.)

8. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Unfortunately, I have invested heavily in z3ta by making a lot of patches for it and it was what made me stick to Ableton. :(

That, and the clip looping function. In Ableton, if you leave an empty clip between the clip columns and set the action to first, the active clip would jump to the first clip after the space. In Bitwig, it would jump to the absolute top row. That makes melodic triggerable clip groups impossible to make for me. :(

As much as I like Bitwig, I just don't see it as a drop-in replacement for peforming live in place of Ableton. :(

9. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

But Ableton hasn't VST3 support neither.. :dunno:

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Yeah, it's not a suitable DAW for you and your way of producing. It's fine. It happens most of the time. One DAW might suit someone but it may not suit somebody else. :dunno:
    It's best to stick for what works best for you, particulary.

11. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

Speaking of "suiting someone". Bitwig SEEKS to EMULATE the workflow and mimics the design of Ableton, there is no denying that. There are a lot of DAWs that aren't for me or anyone else, but Bitwig was supposed to have features aimed for live performance artists. At present, it fails at it, in my opinion.

As much as I would like to be a Bitwig fan, I just can't bring myself to working with it at present. And it is mostly technical issues that need to be fixed. And VST3 OR AU support is just MANDATORY in my opinion and in opinion of a lot of other people.

There are TONS of Audio Unit only plugins out there.