Bitwig announces Version 2 and new Update Plan

Discussion in 'Software News' started by ArticStorm, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

information here:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/bitwig-studio-2.html

12 MONTHS OF FREE UPGRADES

Alongside the announcement of Bitwig Studio 2 we are also introducing a new license model.

Starting with the release of Bitwig Studio 2, you’ll get 12 months of free upgrades and updates with your purchase. This plan also includes email support.

After the 12 months, you can renew your upgrade plan at an attractive and affordable price.

The following FAQ section should answer any questions about our new license model. If anything is still unclear, we're more than happy to answer any questions, just drop us a line at https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html.

but i think thats is the most important:

How much will the renewal of the 12 month upgrade plan cost?
    159 EUR / 169 USD*. The upgrade plan includes all updates and upgrades - also major ones - released during the time period.

you can read more here:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/new-license-model.html

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

if i were a bitwig user, i wouldn't be impressed (by the update plan that is- the daw itself looks awesome)

4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

This did absolutely nothing to convince me to leave Ableton. If anything its solidifies my decision to supplement Ableton w/Cubase.

PS: Whats with their pukey GUI colors???

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I'm surprised you can now just crossfade in this daw..daw looks great though.

6. ArticStorm

the 12 months price is the price of a full FL Studio producer edition with lifetime free updates.
    i think the price insane.

i do like the colors, still a bit to bright and im interested to see what this modular system can do?
    would be nice to see how easy it is to write your modular presets?!
    well lets see how the demo version is, when its released, with that plan bitwig will never end up as bought.

7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

UPDATE

Before public release, we’ll be submitting the beta version to a round of rigorous testing - and that phase starts now. Bitwig Studio license holders can apply for a beta license here.
    The planned release date for Bitwig Studio 2 is February 28th, 2017.

■ The upgrade from Bitwig Studio 1 to Bitwig Studio 2 is priced at 159 EUR / 169 USD. :(
    Bitwig Studio 2 is coming February 28th, 2017, and will be priced at 379 EUR / 399 USD.

The upgrade is free for anyone who purchased Bitwig Studio 1 on, or after, December 10th, 2016.

P.S.
    I have to get enough time learning Live 9 and to test BS2... :unsure:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Hey Artic! My friend showed me loads of great modular tricks on Bitwig, and I must say I was impressed,....

a couple years ago when it was announced I was pretty excited about BW... as Moogerfooger kinda put it, it looked like it was going to be Ableton with all the problems fixed... (pdc, some better midi, all these very expressive modules.... great for tinkerers, songwriters alike etc.... ).... but when it was delayed, and finally came out etc... .. well I'm still writing in Ableton, and mixing if I have to in PTools or whatnot if Ableton isn't cutting it for that...

But then it came out...

..and i was a bit disappointed... color scheme didn't work with my eyes (but you could change it), no video (was doing a lot to picture), didn't support some formats of plugins i was using, buggy, .... just didn't live up to the promise we were kinda given as "the "disgruntled" guys who left ableton since they wouldn't listen and fix the thing and make it what we really want" product...

But there are some exceptional workflow methods on it I have been shown, and the sandboxing of plugins is nice... gonna go check out what else it has to offer at their site...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

crossfades and vst3. Major update. 2017. :deep_facepalm:

10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

just took a quick look, what interests me the most (outside of the new modules doing their module thing) is the obvious effort they put into HARDWARE integration.... I wish Ableton would spend five more minutes on this...

- looks like you can use cc's/sysex, something Ableton has had a lot of problems with or not having at all
    -you can send cv/gate from your interface out and back (which is awesome for eurorack/analog enthusiasts without a whole lot of other expensive hardware/software solutions..with HW clock etc.... hmmm... DO like that....as I have some eurorack brewing, but it is such a pita to use coherently in my setup without a whole lot of fuss....

11. ArticStorm

you forgot the modular system and the other stuff. i bet the modular system really needed a lot of time to be implemented.

@thantrax would be nice to get a beta copy to play with?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

13. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Too bad they don't have AU support still. Would make Logic transitions much easier.

14. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

agreed w/Artic, that modular stuff must have taken quite a bit to get right (if they did!).... I really like some of their progressive thinking, I just wish it had some things I really needed... 3 years ago or whatever I was salivating for this thing, now I don't even think of booting it up.... but growing pains,.... perhaps they are getting there.... (I really hate yearly license things, and usually stop using products when they adopt that)....

will definitely keep an eye on it... it's too bad Ableton didn't keep these guys around to do their magic on that... but I fear Ableton needs a whole audio engine recode to deal with some of it's issues and why we are waiting so long for V10, and not a whiff or hint of it to come in the near future... (NAMM is upon us, and they are quiet as mice....).. Now would be the time we would start getting the gist of what/if they were releasing anything new...

and grdh20: AU support...YES. That is another main reason I didn't make a plunge... I was too used to Logic/Ableton ecosystem with all my sounds saved and whatnot... slowly been making myself use VST's for a more universal approach... but absolutely...

15. ArticStorm

thats the last changelog from Ableton:

9.7.1b4 Release Notes
    Bugfixes:
    • Fixed a bug where the output of multiple audio tracks added to a Group Track via drag-and-drop would not be correctly set to the Group Track's input.
    • Fixed a bug which caused folded Group Tracks containing six or more tracks to unfold when moved, and Group Tracks containing five tracks to unfold when a sixth track was moved into them.
    • Link usage is now only possible with supported audio drivers. If Direct X/MME is in use, Link will be automatically disabled.
    Changes for Push:
    • Fixed a bug where a crash might occur when UAD plugins were deleted while Push 2 was in use.
    • Pressing Record on Push would stop a clip if the clip's Launch Mode was set to "Toggle".
    9.7.1b4 is set as RC1, the beta forum empty not a single post in over 30 days.
    but with such betas no wonder, there are just some bugfixes and not a single new feature and i bet this goes on and on until 9.9.99RC100.

the last minor feature update was the tuner and the new wrap algos, im wondering if this will stay everything for v9? or if we make soon the transition to X?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Oxygen2

Oxygen2 Noisemaker

100 dollars more :(

17. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    They had promised the Modular environment for version 2 since its original release. While this new semi-modular reads as very capable, it's a bit of a letdown for those who wanted to dig under the pretty UI. Pleased to *finally* see fades/crossfades included. One to watch when the end of Feb rolls around...

18. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/bitwig-studio-2

it's a major ... seems we will able to delete notes only using the pen tool (and right click ?) ;) and there are some new devices but how cares with them :)

(althought the

"
    NOTE HARMONIZER
    Note harmonizer will transpose your notes in real-time to harmonize with a chord playing on another track.
    "

is a game change one ... alone )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  19. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yeah @ArticStorm, we've pretty much seen just push updates, some bugs fixed I never noticed in the first place, and video is still screwed..... granted, 9.5+ has been better with the better filters and up and down with different warp modes etc... but they have some work to do... This has been the longest since an X -increment update... 9 has been out for 4+ years right? Seemed they were pushing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 out every 14 months or so back in the day...

20. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

As a Bitwig owner I'm furious

21. atreehaseyes

atreehaseyes Kapellmeister

I like how the accompanying music is awful. Nice touch.