Bitwig 2 announced... And it sucks

Discussion in 'BitWig' started by kjfarrell, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

been using Ableton for like 7+ years, first i didnt like the workflow, but i worked around that. im happy ableton doesnt change their protection so often (bitwig does this often and moves class files around). for all problems i have in ableton i found asolution quickly, but yet again their update plan and their strange release new feature (if they have one), make me not paying for it.

on the other hand i bought FL around 8 years ago, after using for like 6 years the pirated version, use it sometimes still, but it doesnt have freezse and audio handling is kind of weird. but so far IL got the best update plan on the market and their new features output is insane compared to others.

about btiwig, i dont feel excited anymore, they see cracked copies as total enemies, while i think for a software product it could be a benefit?!
    the features they have promised didnt come that far as expect, but i think they made a lot to much promises as they were new in the game, so people expected now far to much.

we can only speculate, but maybe they run low on cash? they really made insane cheap prices in the last months or the other way around, they already had this plan in the head coming with such a sub model?

so glad i didnt buy bitwig as it came out ... and also later on the ongoing road ...

2. ia

ia Producer

Oh man I'm so sorry for you but I can give you advice to look at FL studio and Reaper with their license programs what is best in the world in my opinion. SteinBORG also have fucked own users with cubase 9, what is Ableton live 7 parody.

3. badformat

badformat Ultrasonic

I tried using Bitwig, but after Ableton announced new simpler with slice mode, it's just become the part of my native workflow. So i really missed it in Bitwig. I don't like Bitwig's timestretch modes and transient detection.

I hope that Ableton working on a new version now (with new engine version), cause they don't fixing my bug and telling me that they don't know when it's gonna be fixed.

For now i'm using Cubase 9 and i'm going to come back to Ableton only when they fix bugs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. IfItAintBaroque

IfItAintBaroque Noisemaker

That is great advice!

I still get a lot of sessions in Pro Tools (unfortunately) so I do own (rent, whatever) that and I own an old version of Ableton that I'll open from time to time but in the last year or so it's been Bitwig whenever possible. I'm one of those weird people who actually like the GUI and I very rarely encounter bugs (on mac). I find I'm most productive in Bitwig and that's really all that matters to me, thus why I was never too upset about paying the $400 to begin with (for what it was at the time way overpriced). But at the very least I assumed I'd be able to resize audio clips without paying $170 :) but I can continue to make V1 work for the foreseeable future if need be and I'm totally fine with that.

I'm more disappointed than angry I suppose. Like you said there's always some new scheme in the works. But I had always been very supportive, patient, and encouraging of the team. It's sad to drop this out of the blue in the way they did. And I'm sure they knew this would be the response. I think if people knew it would end up in a subscription model like protools they wouldn't have bought it in the first place and no signs pointed that way until the announcement yesterday. Transparency for a small business is pretty important at least to me it is. Unfortunately for Bitwig they don't have the user base that Pro Tools does and all of this negativity (from some of their most ardent supporters) is going to hurt them point blank.

I think they are taking a calculated risk and are simply looking for a quick cash injection but unfortunately the precedent has been set and the core user base (that supported them) feels betrayed. It's going to be hard (maybe impossible) to gain that trust back.

All the Best!

5. Ankit

Ankit Guest

:hillbilly:Another thread about go and start using Reaper - Music for Everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Only quoting this as it gives a general opinion

OF COURSE Apple can sell Logic for 200. Logic is an ages old DAW which only gets minor changes with version numbers.
    Apple pays taxes in fucking Ireland, legal tax evasion, has almost no development cost and simply buy another company if they want their stuff because they make phones out of i
    OF COURSE noone can compete with their pricing.

Regarding bitwig, which i dislike as a daw, they are not using an elicenser or ilok, but want to increase money flow. Its a shitty small company paying taxes and employees in Germany
    Probably struggling to survive as they are a startup and whoever gave them money wants a good ROI

What is it with all the whining and complaining, if you dont want to buy it then dont buy it!

They have done nothing wrong to you, simply stated that IN THE FUTURE (not even reality yet) they will ask people to pay for upgrades. Meaning, they wont serve to your needs for all eternity if you pay them once.

At least they are making the linux effort, these little bullshitwig twats.

If you want the cheapest daw there is, it will not come from Germany, that is for sure

Imageline are the only ones which give free lifetime upgrades, its a miracle they can survive with this business model. Probably laundering money for the cartels with FL, but whatever

Also, if you are really really poor and cant afford to buy what you use, or if it makes you feel cool to use stolen stuff because you can.. you can simply pirate it...!
    Noone is going to bother you about it if you dont make money from your music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ia

ia Producer

Reaper is beast what wants to be unleashed

8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

first I heard of that policy, was never a big FL studio fan.. but if they include lifetime upgrades I just might get a legit copy to add to the collection, pretty upstanding thing to do.... a new respect for IL

as said above..have respected Reaper for many reasons, including their upgrade policy, and very fair price to begin with, oh and being a great feature rich piece of software that suits my purposes better than anything else

it's all under the hood for you to dig into and unleash it yourself... Kenny Gioia's tut's
    have been very informative to the capabilities

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Wrong. Wrong in so many ways. They made a version 1 DAW at a certain price point, with a certain licensing scheme and at launch were already making promises about what version 2 would bring. From the sound of it, they have not delivered on those promises, while pricing upgrades at an unreasonable percentage of the full DAW's asking price, and changing the licensing scheme from outright license ownership to something like a subscription wearing a dress.

I've had conversations like this with you before. You seem to be keen on defending German developers to the point you nearly make it personal. I suggest you take a step back and ask yourself wtf are you doing and why.

To the guys saying things like "I hope Ableton doesn't price their upgrades like this"... I suggest you have a look at what past Ableton upgrades cost. Not pretty. I've accepted that the upgrade will be painful when it comes, but at least they add a shitload of new features in point updates and a number upgrade gets you like 4-5 years of bugfixes and significant feature updates.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Also Imageline provides an USB stick for installation in the box, which is for sale atm

WHY do other companies still even sell like 5 DVDs in a box, cheap cunts

Fuck it im buying it

EDIT:
    The bitwig guys are whiny ex ableton programmers which wanted to make more money, they stole some tech, programmed their own daw.
    They have no clue, also i dont give a fuck, i was simply surprised by the whining, if you cry about 100 bucks then STEAL, its not legal, but whining is really not gonna get you anything in life.

Except you are a whiny little bitch, then you probably live for that shit and are fishing for sympathies with your weakness

To each their own

Off to buy some FL

Thank you for your suggestion to review my personality because i apparently differ in opinions

Truth is, you want German stuff, you are likely to pay German prices. Enough cheap alternatives or other quality stuff out there.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Lol if only we could all be as stoic and hardcore as this guy...

Anyway, after actually looking at the page for BWS2... I actually think it looks pretty dope. I would be happy if Live incorporated some of these features. I'm ambivalent about the interface. It looks much prettier than Live's but is nowhere near as easy to understand or quickly navigate. I hope Live keeps that hideous, utilitarian interface forever.

Yeah but then you have to listen to his voice :rofl:

12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I hope and pray when Ableton 10 comes around it will be a death blow to Bitwig.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. dondada

dondada Rock Star

i think no one in Soft Audioworld is out make big bucks, there would be better ways (if money is your goal)

and for the "stole some tech" and THEN Build 5 years on a new daw is quite asuming dont you think?

being upset about pricing is one thing but shitting on a relative young company for staying afloat is imho a bit harsh.

anyway i did 2 updates on from live 9.1 to .3 to .5
    and still using sam 11 maybe i demo 13 now, stable is more important dan newest shit!
    hey but to each their own ;)

14. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

can always count you Cav to bring up the ugly truth... :lmao:
    I would probably have listened to a lot more of them if not for that.. I can only take small doses..

you can't fix everything.. but he could even work on his delivery too...:cool:

oh well.. no pain .. no gain... :cheers:

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The really big, companies have started this. And they can live with loosing quite a few customers.
    But Bitwig?

16. Regz

Regz Producer

No doubt, Bitwig will die, FL ftw...... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As an Ableton user, I sure as shit hope not. The only reason Ableton fixed PDC is because Bitwig was making them look awful.

Long live Bitwig

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. magentaappearance

magentaappearance Noisemaker

I use bitwig and I like it very much. It really feels like a high-end DAW. But to make it a high society DAW now, with these prices would be the safe ending of this great DAW.

300$ for the first purchase, and I think 70$ each year would still be justifiable for most, and Bitwig would have more fame.

19. virusg

virusg Rock Star

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Nah. I think they learns thier lesson when the ex Ableton guys went rogue.