bit rate checker

Discussion in 'PC' started by lysergyk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

Hi,

I'm looking for a (free) software that could give me the bit rates of mp3/other formats files in a folder...
    what I mean is a software telling me in this folder the bit rate ranges from 236 to 320...or something like that
    I do not want to check individual files but FOLDERS

I have a (VERY) big music collection (that I left far away from where I live) and when I ripped my CDs at the time , HDs weren't that big so I ripped at 192CBR (the codec was actually pretty good) ...nowadays I often happen upon rips of the same CDs at 320, but before DL I have to make sure that I dont already have the album(s) at that bit rate so to save time I'd like to make a list of all the folders with the bitrate of the files they contain to see whether I need to download a new version without always having to check the files themselves.

is there anything out there like that for me?

thanks for your help

3. Oscar

Oscar Newbie

Itunes has a bit rate checker if you have you music in that :)

4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

no itune, i hate that stuff and I doubt it works on folders..but thanks a lot =)

5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Not exactly what you asked for but you can add a bit rate column in the folder view in windows explorer and i would assume most other file managers as well. It doesn't actually show on the folders but you would probably want to check inside a folder before deleting it, in case you had something there that wasn't included in the new download.

Saves looking for another program and if you keep all your music on one partition, probably as easy to access, updates automatically as you add more music and more up to date than keeping a seperate list.

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you have dBpoweramp installed, it allows you to select multiple files and get the average bitrate in a explorer: properties tab. Not quite "folder", but mb good enough?

7. G String

G String Rock Star

Start documenting your downloads :D A little text file in every folder. Easy. If only you'd done it to start......or rename your folders..... hehe

8. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

the bitrate thing doesnt work for folders, only for files...I have found a program call bitrate checker but it requieres framework 1.1! and of course it's incompatible with 7x64! I have nothing special in my folders, I had so many CDs to rip (took several weeks!) I didnt even bother to rip my own cover, I just got em from the web (also took an awful lot of time!)...actually the new rip I DL are way more complete!

I also have several list which I update (for content) but the folder lister doesnt offer to display the bitrate of the folder as an option...

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep i have it and that's handy...but I need to check individual folders (and so many of them!) so it's not going to do it... :sad:

10. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep I should have but now it's a daunting task really...impossible, it would take me weeks and I dont have that much free time (and i'm definitely not willing to spend/waste it doing that!) *no*

11. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I've found a freeware called MP3-check....not exactly what I need but it produces a list and is more or less configurable so unless I happen upon something better i'll make do with that

also found a stuff called encspot...but didnt try it yet