Biggest Scam of the Century

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GoldenEar, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Quote twisted by you from Howl by Allen Ginsberg, i dont understand the substance to this thread, is it your niche to Troll?.

2. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Especially when you use Reaper and Sonar, witch get VERY nice stock plugins.
    I remember using Sonitus multiband over a lot of others i had : sounds good and it is intuitive.
    Reaper stock plugs are very well coded, too.

There are some very special ones, like Decapitator or Softube FET.
    But they have a specific usage, not "bread and butter".

Stock mixing plugs can get you in the ballpark.
    Add some "spices" to that with some free plugs (like this) and you can get an amazing sound :
    https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/n4-player

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Interesting question, if I may:

et adorabunt eum omnes qui inhabitant terram quorum non sunt scripta nomina in libro vitae agni qui occisus est ab origine mundi

and men shall worship him, all who are dwelling upon the earth, whose names have not been written in the book of life of the Lamb which was slain from the foundation of the world

Revelation of Saint John, chapter 13, verse 8

4. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

I'll spell it out
    are two ridiculous questions, highlighting the absurdity of OP's "Tell me what can a stock plugin does that a third plugin cannot do?"

2. (1) is my response to OP's question; the gist of my post. Why ignore it & focus on the joke you didn't get & therefore (quite naturally) took offence to?

5. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

I thought your comprehension skills were sharper than that, my bad for assuming otherwise, most of your posts contents are unrelated to what the op is discussing. I was going to pm you so wouldnt be clogging up this thread but wateva the outcome I'll just clean up if necessary. Also for your information yes we mods are monitoring your profile based off continuous members reports about your posts again .

6. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Sorta. "Your bad" is assuming that if you don't understand something, it is meaningless; if you fail to see the relevance of a post, it is irrelevant.
    I thought it was Windows 10 ...but it was you! It was you all along...
    [​IMG]

8. Most DAW inbuilts tend to be very clean and technically correct, whereas a lot of third-party plugs tend to have features. Reaper’s inbuilt compressor is one of the cleanest compressors on the market. It has absolutely no character at all, it just does what it says on the tin. If you’re using a Fairchild emulation to get that great sound of analogue, you’re getting something that’s deliberately designed to distort the signal into a fifties-sixties technical specification. Sounds great on a rock band, sounds slange, by and large, on hard beat electronica.

The great sound of analogue is, in Waves plugs, a huge noise floor injected into the signal that acts like a kind of massive dither. UAD plugs emulate the circuit almost exactly, Acustica convolutes the original hardware, almost exactly. But this is, in all cases, a degradation from pristine digital, and if you lard such plugs fifteen deep and then again on the two-buss, the distortion has a tendency to stack in the digital domain in a way it doesn’t in the analogue.

Moral of the story is – use yer ears.

9. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

Thank you! :)

10. mindpassfilter

mindpassfilter Member

Kenny Gioia beat Steven Slate in a mixing competition on a Facebook group using only stock Reaper effects vs Slate Digital plugins. I own several Slate plugins, and while they are great, aren't necessary for a polished mix. More than anything, learn the fundamentals of sound.

11. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

FabFilter, Cytomic, and iZotope. Your argument is invalid.

12. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

How is it invalid? pls explain. Cause you just listed VST's that are the same thing as an eq, compressor that you can get as a stock plugin.

But then again. I get what other people here are saying. (and probably what you are implying). They use some VSTs to get the job done easier cause they are familiar with it and some of them are streamlined then some people want to get a vintage color etc. But I must say I'm pretty impressed with stock plugins. They do get the job done.

So i guess to each is his own. No need to fight over this topic. Whatever works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Splicementality

Splicementality Kapellmeister

by default so is yours, since Andrew of Cytomic reprogrammed EQ-8 for Live version 9, and that is a stock plugin :wink:

14. John Smith

John Smith Noisemaker

Belfast, Co. Antrim,Northern Ireland, BT1 6DE
    Well, the important thing is that your plugin should be fine. Keep doing great work.

15. No Avenger

Ups, :hahaha:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. No Avenger

I would say that depends on the stock plugins.
    If they are all pure digital/neutral, then there can be a significant difference.
    Tube, tape and opto compressors have characteristics that you can't imitate with pure digital/neutral compressors. You can't alter attack, release, threshold, ratio and added harmonics. And especially the ratio changes dynamically, depending on the input.
    If this sounds better or worse to your ears, is a totally different story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Only an opinion....I do not know of any plugin environment in a computer environment whether Art, Film or music, that does not have some programs and some third party plugins that are not as good as others, or for that matter plugins that some people do amazing things with and others make the identical plugin sound or look like they were the worst plugin ever invented.
    These days, most proprietary applications whether Photoshop, Premiere, finale, Sibelius, Cubase, Ableton, ProTools, Logic, repaer, Sonar, After efeects, Illustrator, InDesign etc etc etc etc....

- All come with stock plugins that do what they say they do. If people did not think they could do better or something different, then there would be no third party plugins of the same things available. Most things these days with a good reputation come out of the box with a decent bundle of usable plugins.
    Doesn't it ultimately come down to personal taste?
    Just an opinion, nothing more to reiterate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Suuuuuure, stock plugins definitely have the same algos as plugins, lol.
    /s
    People buy plugins for different reasons, few of which are DPS quality, algorythms, resemblance of emulated hardware, character (or lack of thereof), and many other different reasons. Even having the comodity of an external DPS dedicated hardware like UAD.
    Why don't you find me a stock plugin that does multiband ring modulation, or unison with per-voice controls over formant and pitch modulation, or dynamic eq with controls for each band's harmonics?
    It's very unlikely that a third party plugin is sold when its capabilities are restricted to what a stock plugin can do by itself.

But hey, probably every successful producer (that doesn't endorse companies) that use third party plugins must be a retard and you know better than they do. :rofl:

19. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

I never said that they are a retard. Stop putting words into my mouth. I'm not insulting any person. I'm just stating my observation. Oww and btw, the items you enumerated can be done by using a stock plugin in reaper and sonar (im not sure but also ableton I guess, im not sure since I dont use live that much). and for once, Im not against anyone who uses third party plugins. As I said. Whatever works.

I dont know better than anyone. Infact I always ask in this forum about things (infact some noob things sometimes) cause unlike you I dont throw insults to people by dismissing their observations but because like other great producers that paved the way for us. I wanna learn more. I never stop learning. I read books and I apply new techniques heck I even watch videos from other professional producers and when Im in a studio I always make sure to ask the audio engineers some things.

But Im not here to argue, I just stated my observation. As I said, whatever works. Im sorry if you are offended.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  20. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

Yeah and cytomic the glue is a "stock plugin" in ableton live lol