BFD2 vs Superior Drummer 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by lampwiikk, Nov 3, 2011.

1. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Looking for some opinions on the pros and cons of each of these programs, ideally from people who have used both. My impression is that BFD2 is the top of the heap, but just curious what others think. Also would like to know if anyone has had any experience setting up e-drums with either program and how simple it was. My buddy has a TD-9, and I am wondering which program would be better for him, and as he is completely computer deficient, I'll be setting things up so....?

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Newbie

I have used both and went with Superior.To tell you the truth I am currently using Addictive Drums.It just fits my music better than any of the others.BFD2 is rather large if you have all the Exp's......over 650Gb.You will get lost in the auditioning process using BFD2.Superior is better made IMO and works with all Toontrack libraries including EZDrummer.As for your buddy.......Guru or Geist will most likely be a good choice if he is accustomed to using a drum machine style interface,however, Toontrack has a program called Beatstation he might want to try as well.

4. biohazardzero

biohazardzero Newbie

i use them both!!! but i think i have used bfd2 more than toontrack. its hard to say which is better for me since i like them both. ad drums are good too!!

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I have used both, however have more recently gravitated to Addictive Drums, for ease of use, processor usage and sheer number of kits available.

6. Xiny6581

Xiny6581 Noisemaker

I totally agree with CC. :thumbsup: For many years my favorite was Battery :drummer: but then I felt a bit limited to what Battery had to offer. so I did as many did, switched over to BFD1/2 to get totally drowned in the maze of drums, expansions and well sure it gives you a nice sound-a-wise and the combinations to make custom drumkits are unlimited, but somehow I found myself spending more time to fiddle here and there, get a grip of what drums were best for pop, rock, hip-hop and all that jazz. :wow:

Yeah, my production time went downhill and what happened was I made a few tracks with BFD2, but moved back to Battery. Then a few years later I installed Superior Drums 2, and was stunned :grooves: how awesome it sounded, but the big downside was the loading time. Sadly it took way to much time to load the drumkits. But, then I got myself an RTM copy of Addictive Drums and man I was totally sold. AD is fast, stable, prestige and very fertilize when it comes to both use the included kits, as when it comes to make your own kits. However, the power in AD is its speed, you load a kit and boom it's there without beating the horse to death. You just do what you want and it happens in an instance.

So my advice is give Addictive Drums a go and see what you like. Also keep in mind that eventhough there are not too many expansions to AD, as there are for SD and BFD2, as well. The quality and wide is supreme in AD.

/Xiny6581 :mates:

7. Black Lotus

Black Lotus Guest

Hi

I used all three products BFD2, SD and AD and I can say that they sound quite convincing!!!
    But since I'm trying the Kontakt's drums libraries (Abbey Road,Studio Drummer,DRUMASONIC,Steven Slate,Mixosaurus and Ocean Way) I finally abandoned the above products!!! :wink:

8. Soulintruder

Soulintruder Newbie

Totally agree.I`m a drummer and the most reallistic sound you will get from these second mentioned libraries,first of all,Mixosaurus,recently new Studio drummer and then every else...Cheers,

9. lelahel

lelahel Newbie

if you wanna play metal i highly recommend the new toontrack product! "metal machine"
    BFD2 isn't suited for metal, steven slate drums offer great snare , kick and tom samples but not good cymbals

10. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

used bfd 1 and 2 for a while, too much fiddling requried.
    superior drummer with metal foundry and the andy sneap producer presets as starting points = heaven

11. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i use them both,i think each one hase some pluses on some instruments and some minuses on others,moreover it depends on your kind of music.I think toontrack sounds a little more natural and it s asier to route in pro tools,but i never spent too long trying to route bfd2 so i might be wrong.
    this is for drumsets,for percussions i still think battery has a very good library,too bad it was discontinued

12. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Hey thanks for all the input, yeah I kind of agree with the consensus that AD is a good compromise for quality and ease of use... I love superior drums and the quality of the kits, but yeah those things are HUGE when you only have 4 gig of RAM to go around... haven't used BFD2 for a while, but yeah what I do recall is more fiddling and auditioning than actually creating. And I think AD has a stock TD-9 preset so maybe I'll just go with that for my buddy and leave well enough alone.

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Addicted Drums ♥ use them also nice size and great gui and sound! and yh all what u need.

14. budzmaster

budzmaster Newbie

Sorry I never post anymore... but I had to sign in to agree.

ADDICTIVE DRUMS IS THE SHIT!

I have tried buyed..and uninstalled every other drum program out there... nerve, geist, superior drummer, battery just to name a few...

Addictive is worth trying.

Thats all :)

15. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Mixasarius is a massive over 100 gb dl i saw it some years ago on AZT but didn´t dl it but thanks for the info when i got a new Hd i maybe gonna dl it.

I use BFD2 SD and AD as many others i like that AD is "light" on CPU and HD no 70 gb sample lib there.
    I also have Abbey Road (all of them) and Steven Slate for kontakt "i wonder how good the Steven Slate 4.0 vsti is going to be it looks a lot like BFD and SD on the gui?".

16. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

Same as most guys here, i use ToonTrack Superior Drummer, and Addictive Drums. But i use mainly Kontakt stuff like Steven Slate Platinum 3.5, Drumasonic, Abbey Road Modern Drums, Studio Drummer. Sometimes I use Battery and some drums packs in Reaktor or KORE. Ive also checked out Arturia Spark, Xfer Nerve, iZotope iDrum, DrumSynth from Image-Line etc, but less often. Sometimes i just like using drumracks in Live to be honest, i like the Cluster Sound racks, they do quite a lot for live. :thumbsup:

17. cc80536

cc80536 Newbie

Addictive Drums +1
    to me it just sounds better
    (and the interface is better too)