Beyerdynamics 770 pro 80ohms worths it?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Kuuhaku, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

upload_2021-2-13_16-48-58.png

I found this deal, does it worth it?

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. mrichi

mrichi Producer

5. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

I'm also evaluating if buying them, but I would go for the 250 Ohm version. In my case i need headphones for both music production and recording, and apparently these are really good for these 2 tasks (compared to all other closed headphones).
    I just would not get them for that price which is as No Avenger said 40+ dollars more than what you should be paying. Probably if you order from europe, even with shipment expenses you could save 15/20 dollars. I've also seen them lower than 122 euros over the last couple months.

I would love to hear feedback from users that own them, if there's any here on audiosex.
    How do you like them? for what are you using them? would you say it's a "fairly neutral" headphone when it comes to frequency response?

Also, check this website, they have really in depth tests on headphones with graphs etc:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-770-pro

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I have the 770 250ohms, and I can’t compare to any other pro phones as haven’t tried, but to me they are superb. I use them with Sonarworks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

ah, same setting, including Sonarworks!

OP, check your audio interface headphone output or if you have extra budget for headphone amp, get a 250, IMHO way better than the 80ohm. you'll love the low end!

9. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

What's your interface? Would you say they are good headphones for music production, and what type of music do you make with them?

10. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Have you heard them side by side? I have the 80ohm version and I am liking the low end on that one as well.

As to answering the OP. Those look fake, the point where the cable connects look different then mine.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I use Apogee Duet 2. It has enough power to drive the headphones.

I think it is super good for the price I paid for it! For music production, I suggest using the dt770 250ohm with the sonarworks because it has a little bump on high frequency (response). For casual listening purpose it is fun, with all the high end hi-fi shimmer.

Before Calibration (DT770 250ohm frequency response)
    freq resp.png

After calibrating with the Sonarworks, the dt770 250ohm will sound a little muddier, and many people hated it and been complaining about it.

Of course it will sound muddier because the callibration will add mid....

Me, I judge the calibration by listening to the mix the next morning when my ears are fresh, I can say the result (the mix) is way more balanced compared to not using Sonarworks, which is a little darker.

So, fire-up the Sonarwork everytime using the headphone and make yourself familiar with the calibrated sound. Don't forget to switch it off when switching to monitor speakers.

It will take a week or so to be comfortable with workflow.

After Calibration
    calib.png

I mainly mix stuff for rock bands (rock, punk rock, industrial, ambience, drug music all the extreme shits), singer songwriter, and do full production for all sort of genres. I bought the dt770 because I get a lot of hiphop/lofi/chill music mixing jobs last year because of Covid-19 (people staying home and they been producing A LOT, they ask me to mix and master for them). My previous headphones (SHURE 840) doesn't really reproduce 808 well (atleast i think so), so someone suggested the 770 250ohm.

I must say the low end reproduction is so good it made my job easier to tune/process that part.
    FYI, 90% of the time I use monitor for producing/mixing, headphones for some details job (low end tuning etc) and for comparison.

Another thing I love about the dt770 250ohm is it is way more fun to play guitar (Bass is even more fun) with it using the amp simp. Just set the Headphone Mode ON. (Softube Amp Room).

yes I have, IMHO, the 80ohm sounded bassy to me and the 250ohm low end is much more clear (clarity) and punchy. Sounds a little confusing, but that is what I feel at the store.

80ohm also sounded a little weak to me, it is only natural because 250ohm have more energy because of the headphones amps.

but..

with all the energy and low end clarity punch, comes it main weakness. the dt770 250ohm is fatiguing. but I don't care, I love it!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  12. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

@Stevie Dude Thanks for the detailed review!

I have to say, I always thought that using stuff like sonarworks is useless. In the end what matter is enjoying the sound of the headphones normally, and when you get used to them and know them really well, when you know how all your favorite music sounds on them, if your music sounds like that too, then it's good. That's also what Andrew Scheps says in most of his interviews (there's a ton of them on youtube). He uses the same speakers all his life, and headphones that have (if I remember correctly) bright highs, because he says they sound like his speakers (which I guess also have bright highs?) and so when you know how something should sound it's rather pointless to use software like sonarworks. But I guess some headphones are just too hyped in certain frequencies and when there's too much difference from a more or less flat curve it can probably be just too difficult without it.

After what you just said, I'm thinking maybe I should be looking at other headphones, I'm not a big fan of such big upward curve on the highs in the sibilance frequencies. But under 200 euros it's not very easy to find good ones. Also in my case using speakers is not a possibility, so I need headphones that can be my main listening device.
    IDK.

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

you are right, I'm doing exactly that to my near field presonus monitor. it sounds like shit but I know them too well.

For me personally, monitoring grade headphones aren't built to be fun, I bought the 770 for one exact reason (low end tuning, 808, because I don't have a subwoofer) and it works well for me. Sonarworks is there to make all my processing decisions (while im on headphone) are made on good/convincing monitoring environment, for me at least. Ive had doubt at first, tried it and like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

I can confirm that.

15. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

This is why: Get the fuck out of America

16. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Yeah I paid that too but...

17. aeroflot

aeroflot Kapellmeister

And what about The beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro
    Design Over-Ear
    System Semi Open
    Impedance 250 Ohms
    Frequency range 5 Hz – 35000 Hz

18. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

As far as I know, they have similar (even bigger) extra boost on the highs in sibilance range. Many people like them tho. Usually whoever owns any headphone model just says it's awesome, to tell themselves they made a good purchase :D
    So it's kinda hard to judge