Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 OHM + Motu Ultralie Mk4

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by j.cnnr, Dec 23, 2021.

1. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Hi, I'm seriously thinking about buying the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones.

My question is, if the impedance of the headphone output of my Motu Ultralite Mk4 will be enough, or will it be heard very low in volume.
    I have read in the specifications of my Motu, but they do not clarify my doubts, I have also read a comment from user who use them with a Focusrite 2i2 and he say that the volume is enough, but I have also read other comments that say that an amplifier might be needed of headphones.

Could someone with experience clarify if 250 Ohm is too much for the headphone output of standard audio interfaces like my Motu?

Thanks!

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I've tried the Mk5+DT990 pro 250Ohm combo and can confirm that the volume is more than enough, i doubt it will be any different with the Mk4.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

I use the dt990 pro 250 ohms with the MOTU 828es. It is fine, but I also agree with the user who used the word "might". I could see someone wanting them louder.

5. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Ive got the 990s and a MOTU 828X, should be the exact same headphone output. They're plenty loud, you'll be fine. Just don't go getting some stupid 600 Ohm AKGs like my first pair was and I couldn't figure out for years why I couldn't hear anything when I was tracking guitars hah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agree, but I have also known plenty of people who will start questioning and checking all sorts of other stuff when anything has to be over about halfway on either/both monitors and headphones.

7. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Why dont you try the new 900 series ?

They work with 48 ohm because of new drivers.
    And they fixed the harshness and other beyerpeaks.
    Got the 700 and I love them

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

mk4 User Guide

From that guide:
    • Connector Type 1/4” Female, TRS Stereo Tip Left, Ring Right
    • Dynamic Range 112 dB A-Weighted
    • THD+N -94 dB Unweighted
    • Frequency Response +0 -0.15 dB, 22 Hz/20 kHz Ref. 1 kHz
    • Drive Max. 80 mw 16/32/55 ohms
    • Trim Range 128 dB 0 to -127 dB (muted) in 1 dB steps
    Hope this helps.

Would recommend an external headphone amp or mixer that can drive headphones in the 300 to 600 ohm range. This would maintain the available bandwidth of the headset.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  9. natics

natics Newbie

Hi,
    I used a DT990 PRO 250 Ohm with a MOTU MK3 a few years ago : the volume level was loud enough for me, I used 75% of the volume button max.
    I actually use my DT990 with a less rated Komplete Audio 6, the output button is set to 67%-75% : I never use it louder.
    PS : I use my system for electronic / ambiant music.

10. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

The specs are generally somewhat better on the Mk5, but don't seem to be much better than the MK4.

If you say it is "more" than enough, maybe it could be for me too, I usually do heavy electronic music, Drum n Bass, IDM, Techno, Ambient ......

I need to have a good volume presence to use them in mix and master, but I don't need a brutal volume either, since for that i have studio monitors, mainly i need them as a second reference, and to be able to make music late at night.

Thanks for your help! :wink:

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I also have one that is very, very comfortable to wear. I used it to screw synthesizer presets for 10 years.
    It's loud enough. If you had that on you don't want anyone else. I exchanged the ear plugs once.
    Oh yes, if you buy from thomann you get 30 days moneyback and 1 year more guarantee.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

The MOTU 828es and the Mk4 have very similar headphone output specifications, you say that's fine, but ....... Then, you have to turn up the entire volume range, so that when you're listening to a mix, you have the feeling that you are in a club?

In other words, are they loud enough to feel the bass punch and isolate yourself from a television or conversation around you, or in the next room?

I would use them in my studio where there is no noise other than the music I work on.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Those in the recording studio never hear above 85 dB, the same applies to headphones. Only listen as loud as it is comfortable, too loud will ruin your hearing. If you work concentrated, you will block out outside noise anyway. It's not a closed headphone, you won't get hot ears for that either. The final mixing should actually take place with the studio monitors.

14. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

They cost twice as much, are out of my budget, but might be a better option than having to buy Headphones + Headphone Amplifier

Thanks for your Help! :wink:

15. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

All opinions are very helpful, I ask you the same thing I asked clone,

Then, you have to turn up the entire volume range, so that when you're listening to a mix, do you have the feeling that you are in a club?

In other words, are they loud enough to feel the bass punch and isolate yourself from a television or conversation around you, or in the next room? I would use them in my studio where there is no noise other than the music I work on.

16. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

I already knew the specifications, but i was not sure how to interpret them.

I'm reading opinions that are encouraging me, and i may decide to buy them...

If I had to buy an amplifier, then I would possibly consider buying the 48 Ohm DT 900 PRO X, although they are more expensive, I would have a solution in a single purchase, without more peripherals on my desk.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Pro Contra
    + detailed heights
    + very large frequency range
    + analytical playback
    + flawless workmanship

- minimally sharp highs and very subtle bass

Sound world
    Many open models are rather subtle in the bass area. That is also the case here. The Beyerdynamic headphones nonetheless also deliver sub-bass. But for this you have to listen carefully. And the bass range above is not very pronounced either. Friends of powerful pop music will therefore have less fun here. But if the headphones are used for monitoring during editing or mixing, they can throw one of their two tonal pounds into the balance. Because in the mid-range it offers an extremely differentiated resolution. In the case of speech signals, subtleties of the voice are shown that are worth gold in editing and mixing. The same goes for acoustic instruments. Details such as finger noises from chord changes on acoustic guitars or the application of the bow on a violin or cello sound wonderfully pronounced with these headphones.

Another strong argument in favor of using these headphones is their implementation of the highs. On paper, Beyerdynamic promise us a frequency response that goes up to 40,000 hearts. And in practice you actually wear these headphones. While the treble range connected to the mid-range (depending on the audio production) is minimally sharp without causing voices to lisp, the super high-frequency range is really impressive for the price range in which these headphones play. The uppermost frequency range seems to be simply limitless here. Recordings from classical music and on-location recordings in particular benefit from this. The overall sober sound of the DT 900 Pro X therefore enables an excellent assessment in this area of the audio spectrum, in order to achieve the desired goal in signal processing and balancing.

These headphones implement punctual dynamic peaks unpretentiously. The program dynamics that it offers is amazing due to imperceptible distortion up to high volume areas. And in general, its resistance to distortion at high volumes is also amazing. In addition, there is a pleasantly wide stereo image and a gradation of depths that is pronounced due to the subtleties of the mids and highs. A lot of value for money is therefore offered here in terms of sound. Last but not least, the open design of the headphones is so well solved that outside noises can be perceived very well by the user. In addition, the entire sound of the DT 900 Pro X is wide and uncompressed thanks to its open ear cups. www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/beyerdynamic-dt-900-pro-x-test/2.html

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  18. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Thank you very much, your comment along with those of the rest, is being very helpful, I also had the Mk3, and my HD25, sounded with the same power with which they sound in my MK4

:wink:

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Is there any audio quality advantage of getting higher Impendance headphones? (Asking for a friend :rofl:)

Price seems the same most of the time if different Ohm-versions are offered.

20. j.cnnr

j.cnnr Kapellmeister

Yes, I'm aware of the information you provide, and i just need to feel comfortable, wrapped in sound, isolated and with enough volume to be able to attend to detail at the subtlest frequencies. I don't need high volume since i have monitors.

I just need a second reference for my mixes, and the possibility of making music comfortably late at night

21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual