Best way to remove background music from vocals

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by qhemist, Jul 6, 2018.

1. qhemist

qhemist Noisemaker

I have some really good vocals I want to use, however it has a song in the background, how could I remove the background music and keep the vocals?

3. poly

poly Platinum Record

4. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

I cant't talk for ad trax, I didn't try it,but regroover is not what you need : it's not bad, but most of the tracks I've tried are phasy,
    and not sure it would work to separate vocals.

at one point in time Adobe audition had this feature - which was cutting the filed's center frequencies - but I haven't used it for a while.

to answer your question : there's a lot of tutorials out there on youtube about how to do it, which is basically reverting the phase and mixing them so they oppose each other which result in them being "silenced"

5. Recoil

Recoil Guest

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Re-record with headphones. Ba-dum-tschh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Regroover pro latest, then manual editing in rx advanced. But first try SIDE off, work with MID. Usually vox are in mid area.

9. Old trick which may or may not make sense in your prediciment, but here goes...

If you or a singer or acoustic instrument player want to perform in the control room not using headphones which can sometimes mess with a vocalist's intonation or for any other reason, set up your mic or mics and do the takes using the montors to monitor the backing tracks. It is best to make sure the singer isn't moving around much because the next magical step's working as advertised depends on it. Next, record another track of the same backing track with the singer or instrmentalist standing exactly where they stood for their performance. Then all you need do is invert the second track over the original and what is left is just the vocal track. Cool bones!!!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. Brian Code

Brian Code Newbie

I have a decent amount of experience using Audionamix TRAX Pro and XTRAX STEMS and they both can do wonders. For the money, I would recommend XTRAX STEMS since it uses the same ADX technology as TRAX Pro and also tries to isolate the drums from the rest of the music. There is a spectral screen in TRAX Pro similar to Izotope Rx but has a steep learning curve.

11. João Pedro Cheira Pinto

João Pedro Cheira Pinto Newbie

Honestly my best bet for that case is iZotope's RX 6! Use their debleed option and get rid of that

12. D.C al fine...what Baxter said!

13. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Yep, iZotope RX.
    Spectral Repair and a lot of time for best results.

14. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Using Mid-Side might work, but that doesn't completely eliminate anything panned down the center (kick, snare, bass, etc.). Is it just headphone bleed, or are you trying to extract vocals from an actual full mix? There's two similar apps I can think of that can do the latter: Magix SpectraLayers Pro 5 or what I believe is the superior one: Roland R-Mix.