Best way to learn to lead sheet music?

Discussion in 'Education' started by barah sherlock, Apr 30, 2017.

1. barah sherlock

barah sherlock Noisemaker

Hi guys!

Like the title suggests what's the best way to learn to read sheet music?
    I know YouTube is a great place and I've been learning from it, but do you guys have any other recommendations? Like good YouTube channels, courses, website etc?

Any input will be highly appreciated!

3. Ziko

Ziko Guest

If your goal is to sight read for piano i'd suggest two programs that i used and they are: Jalmus and PrestoKeys
    Just plug a midi keyboard and work on your speed, in no time you'll be able to read any note and immediately play it on the keyboard.
    Jalmus doesn't train you on rhythms tho. Rhythm is just as important, so PrestoKeys might be a better option i haven't tried it that much.

4. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

I would say, start first with rythm so that you have the extent of measurements without the complication of telling note height and key signatures. Once you got your rythm sorted out ( a grasp on the feeling of note duration against the bars and the accents of those hits), start reading melodies, singing them while you read them (this is so you get used to the sound of the different intervals and the notes in itself), then you proceed to simple harmonies (for this you will need any polyphonic instrument you can play with... the recomendation will always be piano, for obvious reasons), and then mixing harmonies and melodies. Is a matter of recognizing shapes and distances more than figuring exactly on sight the note that is passing through. And most important of all is just doing it; you could read 100 different methods to learn how to read, but if you don't put any of it in practice it would be meaningless

5. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

There is no replacement for practice. Just work at it everyday. Every minute you spend practicing is a drop in the bucket. They will all eventually add up. I would suggest doing actual work over just watching videos. There are a few apps out there that turn note reading into a game. Just remember that in the treble clef, starting from the bottom and going up, the spaces spell FACE. I can't think of a reason to watch anymore videos until you at least have that down. If you are also interested in improving your piano/keyboard playing, I suggest getting a copy of Berens Op. 70. It's in the public domain so you should be able to find it for free. It will help ease you into also understanding rhythm and recognizing chords.