Best way to create that kind of live sound

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by crazydiamond487, Mar 3, 2014.

1. crazydiamond487

crazydiamond487 Ultrasonic

Hi everyone,

i'm actually choosing a kind of workflow to be able to create what i want (as everybody). i'm a huge fan of electronic music in all kinds, but here i'm interested about producing 30-60min pure techno mixes with only rhythms i'll create.
    so i'm asking for advices from people who are using ableton live, producing techno /minimal /house grooves, and using their own creations into the mixes.

here is an example of the kind of rhythms i want to hear live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dN-UMja1XI
    when the track is playing, with 2-3 more channels in the same time, there is like no start and no end. the beat is continous, it never stops.
    Techno mixes made with that kind of sounds are trippy and punchy like hell.

here is how it sounds live in a mix of chris liebing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkVRLjuGEA

________

my question is, if i want to create a 100% personnal mix with only my own sounds to produce a real live edited techno mix, how should i proceed ?

- as there is no start and no end to a good beat, maybe writing an entire track before djing isn't the best solution.
    - I could simply mix clips under ableton and make the whole thing slowly evolve. but i think mixing clips on 4-8 ableton channels requires mastering plugins during the recording (like sidechain compressor on the kick channel), so maybe i won't properly hear /know exactly what is actually playing. and all these clips may just don't match...
    - if i create clips, should i mix everything separately (one channel for each - kicks, claps, bass, percs..) or use variations of an entire beat (one clip per beat i put in the mix)
    - i really like the traktor interface, but i think keeping the track under ableton = more edit possibilities. traktor djs (like liebing in the video) usually make short loops under traktor of several tracks at the same time and it is enough for sound editing. they're also often using maschine but i can create the clips to play before the recording. there too, i don't know if i should play these clips under ableton (with only pieces of tracks) or traktor (with a whole track).

i need to find the ideal workflow before starting to finish tracks, because it totally changes the way i'll use my ableton projects.
    how would you consider building that kind of liveset ?