Best vsti synth for arps and pads?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by PitchWheel, Dec 1, 2011.

1. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

Considering that I'd like a synth that does not weight too much in terms of CPU and memory...
    Which one among these synths is the best, and why, expecially for creating:

- driving complex arps
    - warm pads

Thank you for your opinion!!

Omnisphere
    Albino
    Nexus
    Alchemy
    Reaktor
    Absynth
    Massive
    Sylenth
    Wusik
    Zebra
    Zeta
    Any other that I forgot

3. Muze

Muze Newbie

Sylenth1

I use it more then Omnisphere.

Maybe Memorymoon or Arturia analog factory second.

There is a lot of patch sharing around Sylenth1.
    I assume this is a alive community.

It is cheap too. So I'd buy.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

for me its Alchemy for ambient pads/ spacy pads
    sylenth1 for supersawish togehter with Massive and Dune(more cold sharp pads for trance EDM)
    z3ta for lush stringy pads
    Zebra for supersawish pads aswell
    Nexus for layering of the pads
    Omnisphere to make a body for pads - since there are a lot of classic pads from old vintage synths.

5. Technetic

Technetic Noisemaker

Albino is one of my favourites. It covers all styles, easy to get any and cool sounds, arps, pads etc. Reaktor has many really good instruments, really good sound, it has one instrument for each porpouse.
    Nexus is fantastic in sounds, specially trance style oriented, i don´t work with sampled instruments (just sound decoring) because i like to create my owns so i can´t recommend any.

6. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

I fookin LOVE the pads that Dune produces.

They are INSTANTLY gratifying!

Please try it Bro, I am sure You will LOVE it. :thumbsup:

7. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

All youre doing is asking everyone else whats there favorite synth! You should demo some and make youre own choice that would be the best bet. Oh for me its Ominsphere, why it kicks ass in every preset, try it youll want it

8. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Newbie

Sylenth1 is my favour ^^
    Besides, I always use EQ to make the sound more unique :))

9. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Just depends really, I find for myself that I tend to favor wavetable based synths like Alchemy and Omnisphere, just something a little richer and more organic about the sounds I guess, but then I really don't do much leads, just more atmospheres and pads.... so anyway, for "warm" pads, I would definitely recommend Alchemy over Omnisphere, just because it is so much smaller, and I find the quality of the sounds fairly comparable (of course Omnisphere IS awesome...)

10. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

Thanks all for the answers.

Omnisphere is definitely one of the most fabulous synths, maybe THE most fabulous synth, that is commercially available. Anyway, it's rather heavy and sometimes I feel that with a saw and a few effects the work is done, without so many powerful features.

About Alchemy, I found the sounds very deep and rich, talking about presets of course, but they actually feel like those magnificent keyboards of the eighties and nineties :) with a very nice preset number one that is soooo powerful, and yet useless :) Its sounds are so.... intrusive.

Anyway thanks for the answers, I'll try SYLENTH and DUNE, as soon as so many of you talk well of these two.

I notice that there are very few lovers of arps :) I use them a lot, although I don't make trance music at all. A good arp on the second line is a fantastic replacement for a normal pad, giving more rhythm and movement to the final mix without filling all the frequences like a pad does. Also arps made with gate effects, although a little bit too aggressive, can be very useful to give rhythm to the mix.
    Anyway, I think that Nexus's arps, the most brilliant I found until now, are a bit annoying after a while. Alchemy has good arps but they're often intrusive, like pads. Albino has good arps and a good tool to modify them, but as for leads, Albino is the opposite of Alchemy: has very simple and basic sounds.
    For this reason I was wondering if other synths are some how specialized in making evolving arps... anybody knows?

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can arp any fucking synth. It's up to you and the DAW (or even a dedicated arp/arpeggiator midi plugin or a step-sequencer).
    Asking about arpeggiator within a VSTi synth like this is pretty dumb. Make your own amazing arps.

12. Technetic

Technetic Noisemaker

Hgsounds ARP vst, 7aliens catanya, improvisator should make it easy, youtube'em

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

arpeggiators? one word...

KIRNU!

found here

feel free to donate, He deserves your money :wink:

14. remix

remix Platinum Record

sylenth is real nice...

15. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    I really don't think that arps are just like sequences, so that I just can do my own.
    Of course I can, as I can also do any sound by my own just by working on oscillators and effects like I did on my DX7. But now I don't have that time and professional made arps are way better, they are not just sequences, they're much more complex, they provide rhythm, sustain, timbre change and they can evolve in time.
    Anyway thanks a lot for the suggestions: Sylenth was a nice discover and Kirnu is on my desktop ready to be tested :)
    Thank you.