Best VSTi Guitar for Rock and Metal

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by SoundWizard, Mar 7, 2014.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Forget about it. Guitar is probably the hardest instrument to sample, followed closely by saxophone. No virtual guitar comes even 20% close to the real instrument... Just being honest here.

The dynamics of a guitar are simply too complex to sample and adapt to a different interface.

Use loops, hire a guitarist, learn to play it or replace it with a more practical virtual instrument in your arrangement. That's my sincere advice.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Antikythera Mechanism

Antikythera Mechanism Ultrasonic

Dracus is developed by Orange Tree Samples as far as i know.

My favorite one is Shreddage 2 by Impact Soundworks with a effect chain like TSE 808, TSE X50, and some Impulse Responses by Rosen Digital, Ownhammer and Redwirez.

But yeah, you can ask a guitarist for help, one of them is going to say yes. There are probably dozens on your block.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Sorry I meant Orange Tree... corrected
    I also use the ISW libs. Good stuff for multitracking having all those drop tuned guitar options. PRS, Ibanez, etc..

Also it depends what sound the OP is going for. An LP into a Marshall chug? Or an Ibanez into a Mesa crunch? Thats how I base my choices.
    Rock and metal is kind of vague.

4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Thanks! However, the comment you quoted was so old, MusicLab has since done the very thing I described. While it's still a little wonky to use, they actually put a doubling and humanization engine in their v4 products (and in the case of RealEight, you can actually quadruple your rhythm guitars). These days, I use a mix of MusicLab's stuff and Electri6ity for rhythm guitars and MusicLab for leads. I actually have tried Shreddage/Shreddage X, but I felt like they were a little limited. The only Prominy product I've used is their Yamaha 5-string Rock Bass, which actually works pretty good. I think you have to find the guitar VI you personally get the most out of for the type of music you're doing. A lot of people just need open chords and chugs and can get away without using those other articulations ... they can even end up using guitar loops.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yeah, I was talking of the latest versions, since I don't use them I didn't remember the name of the last, RealEight. I don't know how they do it with so small size, but yeah you can double and quad track and you've a lot of articulations. And they sound pretty good.

In fact, my brother in law who is a professional bassist and doesn't care about virtual instruments size or articulations recommended me RealStrat back in the v3 just with these words: "it actually sounds like a strat"

Yeah, the real challenge is the guitar lead, because you need a lot of articulations/automations to make it feel "real". I use Shreddage for rhythm and AmpleSound Eclipse for leads, but AmpleSound guitars doesn´t sound really metal, that's a problem. I use Eclipse just because is very easy to script. Damn, you even can throw it a guitar pro tab and the thing plays it and you can record the midi out. For a beginner like me that's a killer feature.

I'd use Shreddagge for all, but even having many articulations, when it comes to playability/scripting you realize the limitations of Kontakt vs a dedicated VSTi like MusicLab's or AmpleSound's.

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Guitar Rig and amplitude are good. I play real guitar. I have not had any issues with either. My main one to go to is Guitar rig.

7. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Try MusicLab's RealLPC, I think you'll be surprised!

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I love all musiclab's libs but I wish there was a way or a hack to import your own strum patterns. MusicLab strum editor would be a god send.