Best voice to MIDI - Midi Guitar vs Imitone vs...?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lovefish, Jun 11, 2019.

1. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

I've heard that Imitone is designed for allowing your voice to act as a midi controller, so that you can play digital instruments (violin or whatever) with your voice. I've heard it does a fairly good job.

I've also heard that Jam Origin's Midi Guitar, does a good job, and can also be used with voice input instead of guitar, with apparently good results.

I'm wondering which works better with voice. Or anything else that might work better. And specifically on Mac OS - and my DAW is Reaper.

I've heard some negative things about Imitone, about the developer - that he took funding for developing but spent years not doing what the money was for, that there is even still no proper release, but that the beta apparently works for some people. I'm unclear about whether there is a working plugin for Mac OS, such that I could use in Reaper?

Basically what I want to do it write MIDI in realtime with my voice. And being able to hear it run through a Kontakt plugin for an instrument, would be helpful too, so I can hear the output as it goes in, to listen for errors.

Thanks for any comments!

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Midi Guitar 2 hands down. Performance, stability, features... there's no contest

4. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

Can you confirm that you have experience using both, specifically with voice not instrument input?
    Also how do they compare to Melodyne? Melodyne doesn't do it in real time but there's a way to export an audio file to MIDI, and loads of ways to tweak it.

Thanks!

5. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

It's very good. However, it only supports 6 string guitars. If you use 8 or 7 you should skip those extra strings.
    If you don't need it real time you can use Melodyne. It is not limited in the type of guitar or voice or anything. Just use a gate before to clean the audio.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I do. Even for voice MIDI Guitar 2 is clearly better. You set it to monophonic and a couple other things and ready to go.

Yep, but the OP is aking for voice to midi so... Anyway, I envy you so badly for being a metal guitarist... :wink:
    I was actually talking about the velocity mapping and dozens of MIDI utils it features. Even a MIDI programming editor... holy cow

Yeah, I was talking of real time options. But if you first record your voice then Melodyne is a beast.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019